Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
As per request of muledeer of AK, thought I might post a pic of a few rifles that still work pretty well....

[Linked Image]

Top to bottom:
9.3X62
6.5X54 m/s
9X56 m/s
8X56 m/s
6.5X54 m/s

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
wow! there's no English measurement evident at all! smile

very nice! thanks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very, very nice! Thanks...Bill.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Thanks guys, glad someone else enjoys the old guns. Just came in from checking sights on the second one down. Sure not a minute of angle rifle but it stays under 2 inches at 100 yds. Seems to like the hornady 160's and H4350 powder the best.
I really didn't need to test it but getting a bit anxious about deer season and a beautiful day today. It has a lot of whitetails under it's belt that I know of. I would really like to know what other game it has taken.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Dang it, Zis. My laptop doesn't work worth a darn after I salivate on the keyboard.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wow.......

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful rifles Zischang. Feel free to post more.

I bought an MS the other day after decades of not owning one and while shooting it from the bench a club member comes walking down the line. I had not seen him all year. What does he have in his hand but another MS! His was a 6.5-54 Greek carbine with that large bolt that sticks out to the side. He is going to keep the action and have it made into a nice sporter in the old style in the same cartridge.

Here is a ZB Brno 22f in 8-57 thats next to me right now in the rack as I type this at the camp. I will take it for a woods walk in the morning.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
99, Good job. You will probably become quite fond of your new rifle. I hope you plan on using it a bit for deer. For kind of a smallish looking cartridge, they are very effective on our whitetail around here. Real neat cartridge!
I know the greek rifle you are talking about, I have one that someone did a nice job of building up a 7X57 on. I am not sure how it was done but the barrel appears to be a steyr.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
99, Lucky Dog!!! What and where are you hunting?

Peter, Sorry about that but thanks!

Last edited by Zischang; 11/03/07.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Good looking shooters. There's just something about a full stocked gun.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Southern Vermont on this land for deer and black bear. I will go in the woods on the far right where I have got a few deer in the past. An interesting fact about some Northern New England hunting is that no permission, guide, etc. is required to hunt here. The land is not posted and you just walk in, shoot your deer and drag it out. Well its not that easy as seeing a legal deer is the difficult part.

I will use the 8-57 22f pictured above opening day AM unless its raining hard.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Here is a ZB Brno 22f in 8-57 thats next to me right now in the rack as I type this at the camp. I will take it for a woods walk in the morning.

TYPING AT THE CAMP!? Is that what we are reduced to?

I am SO glad my cell phone does not work up where I hunt elk!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fordisto
Good looking shooters. There's just something about a full stocked gun.

I dunno... I can never get past the whole "ManLicker" thing.

:-)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
glad someone else enjoys the old guns
Those aren't old guns: those are art.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Savage_99, beautiful country! Have you had any luck yet?
That looks like kind of hard country to hunt in, so many food sources and more than enough cover. Just the opposite here, unless the ground is posted as walkin or state hunting it's assumed to be private, no tresspassing.

Thanks, RickyD..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Opening day is this coming Saturday.

I was carrying a Mannlicher Schoenauer full stocked carbine in 6.5-54 on a scouting effort before the season about 1970. I discovered a spot along a hillside that bordered a valley with farms. The spot is where deer had made their way through an abandoned gate. So many deer had used the spot that the ground was just mud and earth with deer tracks.

That discovery led to permission to hunt on a posted estate where there were many deer and the hunting was outstanding. This permission lasted for about three decades but alas has expired. So indeed there is some posted land and better spots. Such is reality.

I repaired the stone walls on the farm in the pic years ago and left a note under the door. The house there is largely unoccupied and owned by some wealthy person too busy to be there! Perhaps efforts like that and by others have kept that garden spot open.

I had almost finished the wall work when upon lifting a stone I uncovered a large snake coiled there. That ended the wall work.

I am shooting the 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from the 8-57 starting at 2650 fps. It will be all woods hunting although I know the trajectory through 300 yds.

Where might you be? Great Britain?

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
LOL, not GB, south central Kansas.
The season of 1970 I was working for the USN, not much hunting where I was.

Yep, I would be finished with the wall building at the snake point also. They don't bother much after I know where they are but that first shock is worth a lot of voltage.

I really like your 8/57, a fine looking rifle. Have a couple of rebuilt mausers that I have put lyman or redfield sights on but have yet to hunt with them. It's just so easy using the 6.5 that I have gotten spoiled. Usually hunt the brush along a river bottom and shots are typically under 100 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Beautiful rifles Zischang. Feel free to post more.

I bought an MS the other day after decades of not owning one and while shooting it from the bench a club member comes walking down the line. I had not seen him all year. What does he have in his hand but another MS! His was a 6.5-54 Greek carbine with that large bolt that sticks out to the side. He is going to keep the action and have it made into a nice sporter in the old style in the same cartridge.

[Linked Image]

seems like all you ever do is talk about how bad those old brnos are, be careful the bolt does not fall out or something grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have me confused with the guy from Vancouver. He said the bolts will fall out. I said that the bolt would open too easy on this one when the safety was on and that I could not reach the factory safety anyway under a scope.

So I had a M70 safety put on. Thanks for the chance to show another picture.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outstanding!

Sorry I missed this...have been out of state hunting.

Thanks!

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.