Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just picked one of these up today. Never seen one before and thought it would be a good one to add to the collection. It's a new haven made push feed. Basically like brand new, except for the guy said he bought it in the 70s or 80s. Does anyone have one? I've never seen a model 70 with a .223 bolt face.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pics would be cool. Sounds like a nice rifle though. How's the wood grain in the stock? I'm wondering what year it was made. Long action or short? Sporter or fwt???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That sounds like a helluva good score. I don't know how many of those that were made in 222 Rem, but it cannot be many. That would have probably been a pick up on sight as well for me!

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It's a short action sporter. Stock is gloss and real pretty. I'm going to try to figure out the picture thing today. I thought it was pretty unique. Can't wait to shoot it.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
There are quite a few of them out there in .223.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote10
It's a short action sporter. Stock is gloss and real pretty. I'm going to try to figure out the picture thing today. I thought it was pretty unique. Can't wait to shoot it.

Sounds pretty cool. It was made after 1984 then. Try Imgur or postimage for posting pics here. It's much easier than the one rick supplies. When you shoot it, let us know how it does. Thanks.
Originally Posted by beretzs
That sounds like a helluva good score. I don't know how many of those that were made in 222 Rem, but it cannot be many. That would have probably been a pick up on sight as well for me!

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

I do agree with beretzs on this one. ^^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I would like to shoot it, however finding ammo might be a problem. I guess I can make brass out of 223. Small rifle primers are one thing I do not have either. So may be a bit of a speedbump there, but I'll figure it out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would like to shoot it, however finding ammo might be a problem. I guess I can make brass out of 223. Small rifle primers are one thing I do not have either. So may be a bit of a speedbump there, but I'll figure it out.

Check out AmmoSeek. There was alot of 222 on there.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Nice. Will do. Thanks

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just picked one of these up today. Never seen one before and thought it would be a good one to add to the collection. It's a new haven made push feed. Basically like brand new, except for the guy said he bought it in the 70s or 80s. Does anyone have one? I've never seen a model 70 with a .223 bolt face.
I've got one.. Sweet little rifle, these.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
How in the heck do you put pics up on this deal. It keeps telling me the file size is too large.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Easiest way I’ve found is postimages.org

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
how about one in a heavy barrel??? model 70 xtr heavy barrel 222 remington ive got a 6.5-20x40 gloss leupy on it and i can tell you now small critters even far far away really dont like it............ will try to post a few pics tonight at work at the moment........ but congrats on your rifle op its a great gun and caliber......... love me some 222 rem

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw an M70 bull barrel in 222 REM back in 2021, it sat for awhile before it sold

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
i bought mine 20 years ago right off a table at a gunshow $475 out the door but that was a looooong time ago lol

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not a collector deal, but I was too late on GI when a rechambered 22 Hornet to 222 popped up for 1500 or so. I still kick my own butt.

Semper Fi
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've seen one of those, and it turned out to be a real shooter!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That’s a beautiful rifle in one of my all time favorite calibers!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How in the heck do you put pics up on this deal. It keeps telling me the file size is too large.

Like I said. Imgur and postimage. After looking at the pictures Scotty posted, it does not appear that it is a "short action" either.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep, no true SA in that serial range but neat gun!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I like that. When I made the comment, there were no pictures. Based on the info he didn't give, as per usual here, we didn't know. Based on the pictures, as I said, it is not a SHORT ACTION..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I like that. When I made the comment, there were no pictures. Based on the info he didn't give, as per usual here, we didn't know. Based on the pictures, as I said, it is not a SHORT ACTION..
You done good.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I may be confused on what a short action is then. Are you guys thinking it should or could be a scaled down mini action or something? I have a model 70 in 270 and I know it's a long action and this 222 is definitely not that. However, this rfle does have a spacer block in the mag

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I stand corrected. That rifle is built on a long action. Why in the world would they have done that? Oh well. Should be a fun gun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They didn’t have a true short action till much later on. Just like the P64s, everything from 22 Hornet to 375 was basically the same action.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I stand corrected. That rifle is built on a long action. Why in the world would they have done that? Oh well. Should be a fun gun.
The true S/A didn't appear until about, what, the 90's? I'm totally unsure of the year, but I think it was around '92..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
The true S/A didn't appear until about, what, the 90's? I'm totally unsure of the year, but I think it was around '92..

1984, but some think 1985. I have a sweet little XTR FWT 22-250 that was made in '84, probably one of the first short actions to come off the assembly line.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Rifle was made in 1980. Winchester said they couldn't tell me how many were made though. Something about new ownerships and a fire. I did say it was a 222 and the guy said he could tell me one thing. They didn't make many of those.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Long or short action, doesn't really matter to me. What you have there is a sweet azzed rifle in a cool chambering. I'd find some ammo and take it out and shoot it. Use a good proven scope when you do this. Whoever last owned it, had great taste in rings and bases. Those are my favorites for a model 70 Winchester. Congrats on finding a very nice rifle!!! Please let us know how it shoots for you too. I'm always interested in that type of thing.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Long or short action, doesn't really matter to me. What you have there is a sweet azzed rifle in a cool chambering. I'd find some ammo and take it out and shoot it. Use a good proven scope when you do this. Whoever last owned it, had great taste in rings and bases. Those are my favorites for a model 70 Winchester. Congrats on finding a very nice rifle!!! Please let us know how it shoots for you too. I'm always interested in that type of thing.

Actually, the rings and bases were put on by myself. The rings and bases that were on it were some old weavers and a 12 power Tasco. The dies are some old Lymans in an orange box. I'll keep yall posted. And yea, leupold std dual dovetails are where it's at.

Last edited by Coyote10; 02/09/23.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
There is one of theses on guns international with a bull barrel priced at 2100. Not saying he'll get it, but it might be saying it's worth something at least.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I picked up a mint one, a 1977 with irons. G138XXXX serial. Most accurate rifle in my collection. 40gr V-Max from Lapua cases.
Plenty of steel in that barrel. Balances like a "light varmint" contour.
$2K would not even begin to move me to sell it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Actually, the rings and bases were put on by myself. The rings and bases that were on it were some old weavers and a 12 power Tasco. The dies are some old Lymans in an orange box. I'll keep yall posted. And yea, leupold std dual dovetails are where it's at.

Awesome, you have great taste in rings and bases them. Weavers aren't bad, but I prefer steel bases. I always have to modify the Warnes, but Leupold makes a great set of steel weaver style bases, that don't need to be modified. I only run those on my H&H pre 64's because they don't make DD's for the H&H. Or at least nothing that I'd use, because they probably extend out into the loading/ejection port. What scope are you going to use on this rifle?

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I think I'm gonna put a leupold vx3 on it. Probably a 14 power. Or a vx2 3x9.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

1984, but some think 1985. I have a sweet little XTR FWT 22-250 that was made in '84, probably one of the first short actions to come off the assembly line.
A true S/A? Cool! I didn't think they were around until a lot later..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Same here. I am not a big XTR guy, but ones like that would be A-Ok with me and that rifle looks real well kept. One of the good ones.

Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What a piece of crap huh?

Jeeze, I’ll give you 275, shipped to get that heap off your hands grin

Last edited by beretzs; 02/09/23.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
What a piece of crap huh?

Jeeze, I’ll give you 275, shipped to get that heap off your hands grin

Damn, that looks good!! Shoots great too. What a score.. I like the figure in the stock. That is a keeper..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Seen a twin to this rifle a couple yrs back on GB, Loved it... Wasn't payin' that big price though... Fleet Farm stores near me had Chit loads of Winchester brass in 222 Rem about the same time... I think? one store still had a few bags last time i was in a month or two ago...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Good score....

I have a Featherweight in 223 from the same time period... had a Model 70 Ranger so chambered also.. but gave it to someone who really wanted one real bad. and had a Model 70 Coyote in 223.. sold it to someone who just wanted the action and the stock...gave me more than I paid for it used... and I got to keep the barrel...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s a fine rifle. I’d be happy to have it myself.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
back in the 90s Winchester made some M70 heavy barrel rifles in 220 Swift and 222 REM. Stainless barrels if I remember correctly, they werent on the market very long

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My brother has a Win m70a sporter in 222 Rem. He bought it new in 1979 ( blind magazine, like a Rem 700 ADL). Definitely a short action. Beautiful action and rifle. Shoots well under 3/4 moa with multiple loads.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm a 222 fan now after shooting that gun. May have to take it out to a dog town with about 100 rounds! Honestly I wasn't in the market for one. It just kind of fell in my lap. Got lucky I guess. I was wanting a 17 rem. But came across this and bought it. More of a model 700 fan myself. If I come across a bdl in a 222, I think I'd buy it.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Put it up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.