-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely a rifle, bino, and knife are important. ..but they don't need to be super high end starting out. But as many have pointed out, the right clothes for the weather are very important. Talk to either an experienced hunter from the region, or someone who works outdoors all day to see what works.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Truck keys, rifle (SKS or AK), lawn chair for the hunter in the bed, a cooler of beer and bottle of rockgut for the driver, a good spotlight and a saw to hack the trophy antlers off.

I’m obviously being sarcastic but unfortunately I’ve seen that scenario play out too often.

A guy needs a good rifle, a sharp knife and a willingness to learn, everything else is superfluous.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun, ammo, knife, drag rope, proper clothing/boots (terrain/weather).
Whatever orange the law requires.

Worked outside for years. For most of those years I hunted in my work clothes.

Camo and whatever they push on outdoor shows ain't necessary.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For deer here in MI, certain basics are essential. Others can wait. He needs a Hunter Safety Course and a license. He needs a place to hunt which will be easier if he has an Atlas/Gazetteer and county plat book to show property boundaries. He’ll need warm clothes and boots. He’ll want a cheap daypack to carry stuff and a seat cushion to keep his butt dry when he sits. He’ll need a flashlight, Bic lighter and a knife. TP trumps all when it’s needed. Most any rifle is fine as long as it’s legal and reliable. Low recoil and a well sighted scope will be best. A local mentor is best of all. Maybe he can find one.

Edited: Patience and a sense of humor help too!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you are wearing underwear, you have all the TP you need unless you ate truck stop sushi.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by OGB
As most have said, you don't need lots of fancy stuff.

I'm pretty minimalist.

One thing I'd add is a compass. I know everyone has a smart phone now which is great until you loose signal or the battery dies. Pretty easy to get turned around in thick veg. especially in the dark. Just knowing which way the road is can be enough.

Some will laugh at this and that's fine. I hunt in some hella thick swamp and it goes on for a long ways. I'm in no real danger if I get turned around but it's nice to be able to follow a relatively straight line out in the dark.

No, everyone does not have a fking smart phone. My only phone has been hanging on the wall the last 29 years.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Originally Posted by OGB
As most have said, you don't need lots of fancy stuff.

I'm pretty minimalist.

One thing I'd add is a compass. I know everyone has a smart phone now which is great until you loose signal or the battery dies. Pretty easy to get turned around in thick veg. especially in the dark. Just knowing which way the road is can be enough.

Some will laugh at this and that's fine. I hunt in some hella thick swamp and it goes on for a long ways. I'm in no real danger if I get turned around but it's nice to be able to follow a relatively straight line out in the dark.

No, everyone does not have a fking smart phone. My only phone has been hanging on the wall the last 29 years.

Too bad. It would fit in your possibles bag next to your spare flints. 🤭

Actually, I did without a smart phone for a long time. Now I’d be lost without it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WMR
Actually, I did without a smart phone for a long time. Now I’d be lost without it.

A new hunter hunting new property could benefit from OnX or similar type apps.

Shows satellite imagery and property lines / owners.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The OP was mainly about eastern hunting but I'd like to add something about western, when you might be several miles from the road in rough country. I carry enough to spend the night out. When it's cold, that will likely be more than during warm weather. I have several ways to start a fire and I've practiced lighting one at home. It's harder than it looks and takes practice. Some kind of space blanket and a way to stay dry - even in warm dry weather. Mountain summer rain storms can be fierce. A trekking pole can be a big help if you twist an ankle. If you don't want to hike with it, fold it up and put it in your pack. You might think you can cut a hiking pole if needed but in the arid west, many times that isn't possible.

Have NEVER encountered a hunter "several miles" from their truck or road in Washington, Oregon or Arizona. Usually we see them within 300 yards of it. Oh, wait...saw a guy hunting bear with a goose gun ~1/4 mile from the parking lot near Mount Baker/Mount Shuksan.

Good point about storms. Next time you see a Memorial Shelter...you'll know what happened.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Rifle, Ammo, Sharp Knife, TP, Drag rope, small flashlight, wiretie for the tag, ink pen to fill out tag. is what I carry .I take a grunt call as well.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was just starting out again, I would spend the most money on good boots and the best clothing I could afford. Don't get me wrong, I've spent plenty of great days in the woods in a pair of Levi's and a hooded sweatshirt but being able to be comfortable when the weather sucks is probably the biggest key to success on any hunt that I've had. Nothing says "let's get the hell out of here" like wet feet and being cold/miserable.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

153 members (2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 30 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,467
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.