Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Higginez
Thing is Al, Badger makes M5 bottom metal across the street from Manners. It's only a matter of setting up a cnc to make the proper cut and on a $900+ stock with an 8+ month wait, it's not too much to ask that it drops in

Oh....I savvy all that, believe me. But that doesn't change the reality.

The sooner people come to grips that 'drop in' stocks aren't...and can't be...truly 'drop in', the better. Some are reasonably close, some are truly awful and the vast majority are in the middle someplace. Why would we ever want to subject ourselves to what someone sends us? Instead of the tail wagging the dog, take control of the project and do it the way you want it done in the first place.

Good shootin' -Al

Yes, the McMillan Edge pillars are not what I was expecting on the last one I changed out to M5 and pillar bedded.

Regarding the lack of drop in on stocks....I'm happy to pillar bed it and sand high spots in a barrel channel or bolt handle inlet. Manner's inlets it for pillars but the inlet's height between action and bottom metal is off for M5. The bottom metal is a standard M5 short action inlet. There's no excuse for it not to be a drop in fit. To make an excuse for it is just making an excuse for poor work.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Regarding the lack of drop in on stocks....I'm happy to pillar bed it and sand high spots in a barrel channel or bolt handle inlet. Manner's inlets it for pillars but the inlet's height between action and bottom metal is off for M5. The bottom metal is a standard M5 short action inlet. There's no excuse for it not to be a drop in fit. To make an excuse for it is just making an excuse for poor work.

Don't misunderstand....I'm not making excuses for anything. But as my Dad would tell me; "We can wish in one hand, crap in the other, and see which fills up first." grin

I just accept the reality, is all. In the end, it's a better use of my time to finish any mfgs stock from a basic inlet, than it is to go back and rework someone else's idea of how they think it should be.

We have to rework so much CNC'd stuff at the race shop that maybe I'm a bit jaded. This new CNC'd titanium mount took me a lot of mill time to redo to fit the same companies 'chute hardware, for example. All the curved relieving was done a manual mill.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A couple weeks ago, I redid this laminated fully inletted stock. Believe me, it would have been much easier for me to just start at the start. I ended up laying in some carbon fiber cloth and a piece of carbon fiber rod...it came around nicely after that.

Action just out, pre clean up:

Dial indicator zero'd:

Max. of .001 barrel movement when the action screws are cracked loose:

For me, the ends justify the means....no matter what it takes to get there.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A buddy of mine ordered a manners for a left hand short action 700 with the all aluminum bedding block in it. When he received it it wouldn’t even come close to dropping in. He sent it back. When it was returned he could kinda get the barreled action to seat with a bunch of effort and tightening of action screws.

This was a full custom and accuracy was just not what he expected. He decided to try a chassis and sure enough accuracy improved by a huge margin (like 1.5 MOA to .5 MOA)

He was angry and told me he was tossing the stock in the dumpster. Me being the nice guy that I am talked home off the cliff and told him just to give me the stock😁.

I took it home and found that the bedding block was not even close to fitting a 700 action! I dremelled as much as I could out and then glass bedded it to my action. It has sense become my favorite and most consistent rifle.

Stock quality seems great but bedding is horrible!

Sample of one

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't misunderstand....I'm not making excuses for anything. But as my Dad would tell me; "We can wish in one hand, crap in the other, and see which fills up first." grin

I just accept the reality, is all. In the end, it's a better use of my time to finish it from a basic inlet (with or without pilot holes) than it is to go back and rework someone else's idea of how they think it should be.

We have to rework so much CNC'd stuff at the race shop that maybe I'm a bit jaded. This new CNC'd titanium mount took me a lot of mill time to redo to fit the same companies 'chute hardware, for example. All the curved relieving was done a manual mill.

A couple weeks ago, I redid this laminated fully inletted stock. Believe me, it would have been much easier for me to just start at the start. I ended up laying in some carbon fiber cloth and a piece of carbon fiber rod...it came around nicely after that.

Action just out, pre clean up:

Dial indicator zero'd:

Max. of .001 barrel movement when the action screws are cracked loose:

For me, the ends justify the means....no matter what it takes to get there.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Any openings in your locale to be your neighbor? 😀😀

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
If a MDT et al can make a chassis fit as good as they do with a cnc, there is no reason Manners can't inlet with similar precision.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Any openings in your locale to be your neighbor? 😀😀

It can get noisy...... grin

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If a MDT et al can make a chassis fit as good as they do with a cnc, there is no reason Manners can't inlet with similar precision.

Couldn't agree more. But that's not the reality.

I just don't understand the mindset of ordering a product known for not getting it right. And then being upset when it's not right. crazy The consumer made the decision to accept what they send.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."
- Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Forbidden Zoner
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
... The consumer made the decision to accept what they send. ...

Season ends here Friday so I'll take time to look at it a bit more. Maybe the better route is to return it. You're correct, it's foolish to accept poor work. It would likely be less hassle for me to fix it myself, but in so doing, I'm supporting the practice of poor quality.

Originally Posted by Manners
ABOUT MANNERS COMPOSITE STOCKS
At MCS, nothing is more important than our customers’ satisfaction. We take pride in our stocks and stand behind each and every handcrafted item we produce.

If you are not completely satisfied with our workmanship or materials, we will make it right, period. All stocks carry a lifetime guarantee. You break it, we fix or replace it.

Customization
MCS will build your products to YOUR specifications. When designing your custom rifle, you don’t want to fall short on the most intimate part of the build — the stock. We build to your choice of shape, camo or finish, length of pull, weight, fixed or adjustable cheek and hardware/accessories. Our stocks are elegantly crafted to give you a truly ergonomic fit and feel. Lessons learned in the field and on the range allow us to deliver a perfectly custom stock that can be outfitted with all the latest, popular components, including scopes, tripods, bipods, slings, stability tools, etc.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Maybe the better route is to return it. You're correct, it's foolish to accept poor work. It would likely be less hassle for me to fix it myself, but in so doing, I'm supporting the practice of poor quality.

The problem with returning something for rework (besides the time)...is that it might come back still not right. And possibly needing more work after the 'fix' than what it needs right now. frown

Sometimes it's better to just cut our losses, fix it ourselves, swallow hard, and file it away in our memory bank for the future.

There's an aluminum bedding block stock here now that's kind of the same situation. They always need some work, either lapping or on the mill. But this one is truly nasty...the block is in there crooked, down in the front and down in the rear. As best I can tell from this lash up, the block itself is also twisted along it's length. It's advertised as a "6061 billet bedding block" which is a total marketing ploy meant to appeal to the 'bubble pack' consumer. It's actually a 6061 hardness piece of aluminum extrusion. Now that's not totally bad, in and of itself. But it's not milled from a single chunk of 6061T6 tooling stock, as is implied. I guess the hunk of extruded aluminum is how they market it as a "billet". shocked

But a little set up time and a 1.375 ball end mill will turn the turd into ice cream. I sure hope the trigger guard doesn't need any filing...that would rattle me. wink

Best of luck with your project. If I can be of any assistance, let me know sir. smile

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Couldn't agree more. But that's not the reality.

I just don't understand the mindset of ordering a product known for not getting it right. And then being upset when it's not right. crazy The consumer made the decision to accept what they send.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."
- Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

So, who's upset?

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What I’m gathering from this thread is this. Al is explaining nothing is perfect and it’s very easy for him to make things close to perfect himself. Most of us don’t have that talent and skill.

What many of us are saying about Manners is we wish they were as close to drop in as a $150 B&C or Boyd’s.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kaleb
What many of us are saying about Manners is we wish they were as close to drop in as a $150 B&C or Boyd’s.
TFF!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What I’m gathering from this thread is this. Al is explaining nothing is perfect and it’s very easy for him to make things close to perfect himself. Most of us don’t have that talent and skill.

Thanks, Kaleb.

Honestly, I don't have any more talent or skill than anyone else. It's really just a matter of doing it. Yes, a mill and lathe make it 'easier', in a way. But not always. For quite a few years, I did inletting and pillar work on a drill press with a 5" compound vise bolted down to it. With the drill press quill tweaked to reduce the wander, it worked just fine. Still does. Then I got a import 7X12 mini lathe and making pillars, escutcheons, screws, etc. became a lot easier. Heck, I still use the mini lathe for a lot of things since it's right in my gun room.

The bottom line for me is that for less money spent on a stock that doesn't fit, a home tinkerer (like myself) can acquire all the tools needed to do the work himself. Thinking a project through and ending up with a good job is pretty rewarding for almost everyone, I think.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, Kaleb.

Honestly, I don't have any more talent or skill than anyone else. It's really just a matter of doing it. Yes, a mill and lathe make it 'easier', in a way. But not always. For quite a few years, I did inletting and pillar work on a drill press with a 5" compound vise bolted down to it. With the drill press quill tweaked to reduce the wander, it worked just fine. Still does. Then I got a import 7X12 mini lathe and making pillars, escutcheons, screws, etc. became a lot easier. Heck, I still use the mini lathe for a lot of things since it's right in my gun room.

The bottom line for me is that for less money spent on a stock that doesn't fit, a home tinkerer (like myself) can acquire all the tools needed to do the work himself. Thinking a project through and ending up with a good job is pretty rewarding for almost everyone, I think.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Yeah, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I have the skills to do it, but I don't do it every day and getting things to turn out like your pics is not easy.

Most will pay their smith to fix the problems on a $900+ stock or send it back, both adding more time and money to a project that could have and should have been right to start with.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This type of quality issues goes further than stocks as I’m sure everyone knows. There’s no excuse for it. I’m working my way through a [bleep] storm with Lane suppressors. It took a year to get it through the ATF only to find out there was, and still is, a significant defect in the design that causes the thing to leak at the joints of the assembly. I know where there are 8 of those suppressors and every one of them leak. If you think it’s a pain in the a$$ to deal with a bum stock, try sorting out the change in ownership of a NFA item. Months of time and many $$ wasted. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere if your in the market for a suppressor.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
o
m
g

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LOL, that’s not the worst one either.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I have the skills to do it, but I don't do it every day and getting things to turn out like your pics is not easy.

Most will pay their smith to fix the problems on a $900+ stock or send it back, both adding more time and money to a project that could have and should have been right to start with.

No worries, sir. Sounds like your needs are being met and standards achieved.

Good shootin' and all the best. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BangPop
[Linked Image]
good thing there is snow on the ground or you could start a fire with that thing.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.