OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
savage 308 wood and metal rough, recoil pad, 4 1st buyers sold for $1000.00

GB1

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes it costs a lot more to educate your self !

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Oof... I overpaid greatly for my first 99, but not by that much. 😬

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jar
Sometimes it costs a lot more to educate your self !

A right of passage or, if you would, "paying your dues." We all have been there.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Worked really good for the seller, sometimes ignorance is pure bliss LOL

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by zcm82
Oof... I overpaid greatly for my first 99, but not by that much. 😬

Yep, me too! But in the end, I learned and made up for the difference... I think! smile

Andrew
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Same... I offset overpaying for my first 300 EG by practically stealing the second one 😄

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you really want something you will pay the price or NOT. "NEED" is not in the equation.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There were some guys on FB complaining about all the collectors hoarding all the 99's so the average hunter couldn't find or afford one. I disagree. The collectors go for condition and usually pay for it. There are plenty hunter grade guns that the collectors wouldn't give a nickel for. It's not uncommon for a guy to post pics of the 99 he just bought and it has the wrong wood, notches cut, drilled, white diamonds inlaid, etc. Then ask if he got a deal. One old fart like me will say, "You got a great hunter, but all that stuff devalued it greatly". Then the next 5 responses will be, "Don't listen to that old fart, he's a collector. You were going to drill it anyway. Look at the history, listen to the tales it tells." They act like they are more afraid of hurting someone's feelings than telling them the truth, you got took. I remember in the 60's-70's every rifle had to have a recoil pad, some kind of inlay, shiny plastic looking finish, and shoot through mounts. Some guys back then put some serious coin into modifying those guns, and some of them are still Beautifully done. I said Beautifully done, not beautiful. I like few of those guns. When I was 12, I probably loved them. It's very common for a guy to post pics of good, bubba, work and ask if it's a rare factory option? When there are so few out there that know 99's, it's hard to get factual advice ahead of time. So, they just pay up and ask later. And, I may be one of those grumpy old guys, I paid $2300 for a refinished 1912 SRC in 30-30, because it was beautiful in a dimly lit auction hall. I think if I dollar cost average it, I'm probably about even with a lesson learned. I still like that rifle!

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That pretty well sums it up, Joe. That would be a good one to post on FB.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Then they would want to send me to the time out room for a month, for being mean spirited.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well that, and find another old lever gun in usable condition that is cheaper. I don't like the prices either but since I've started collecting 99s, recently relative to like 95% of you guys, the prices have about doubled. But they're still cheaper than vintage Winchesters or Marlins.

All though I never got screwed like this. My first 99s where a first year 250-300 all original but it came with a 1919 250-3000 with a cut stock with a pad for a total of 600$.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always figured if I averaged it out, I was about even in what I paid vs market value which is fine by me. I've had the opportunity to own and play with a lot of guns and it really didn't "cost" me anything.

But the last batch I sold not to long ago during the Covid panic, I definitely made money on. wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.