-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you, that's a good list, and I appreciate your brief synopsis of why you like those presenters. Perhaps we should start a separate thread with the better reviewers and presenters.

Ian (aka Gun Jesus) and the fellow at HonestOutlawReviews are good presenters with honest information. You can tell several reviewers are just hyping whatever they're given, and others, while they may be honest, are so technically incompetent that their videos are almost unwatchable.

Here on out are just some personal rants folks are free to skip over -

No, I don't want to just watch you shoot over and over and over. You might be enjoying yourself but I find it boring and it tells me nothing about the firearm you're reviewing, just that you may or may not be a decent shot. If you want to give your subjective impressions of recoil, or how the pistol balances, or compare the muzzle flip of two different firearms shot by the same individual, that can be useful info.

Don't fire five shots offhand at a target ten yards away and call it an "accuracy test", at least use a rest of some kind. On the other hand, don't waste several minutes making us watch you slowly fire a five shot group off the bench in real time. Speed up the video and then show us the results.

If you do a "how to" video, edit your damn videos! I was watching something yesterday about how to replace a part and they guy had his hand in front of his work most of the time so you couldn't see what he was doing. He presented the area to be worked on in front of the camera and said, "I hope you can see this". Geez Louise! Did you watch your freaking video before posting it to even see if we can see it?! See "technically incompetent" above.

"Hi, I'm (wind noise). Today we're gonna be testing (wind noise wind noise wind noise). One warning - make sure to (wind noise wind noise)."

"Today I'm gonna tell you all about (insert firearm model here). It's AWESOME! Oh man, it's f*ckin' AWESOME. Well, that's my review. Be sure to like and subscribe to my other in depth reviews!"

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BC30 cal,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have watched Ian McCollum and enjoyed his work. Another you may enjoy that is gunsmithing related is Mark Novak who does Anvil Firearms on YouTube

I welcome any additional suggestions.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tcp;
Morning again sir, thanks for the reply.

For sure Mark Novak is another one I'll watch if I have the time. He's obviously an extremely competent gunsmith. I want to say they were connected to C&Rsenal somehow too perhaps? It's similar approach to the in-depth information.

If anyone is interested in how military long arms stack up in long range shooting capability, Henry and Josh at 9Hole Reviews put some very well done demonstrations on. I'll note however that Henry seems to have otherworldly eyesight and is a proficient rifleman as well, but it's still interesting to see the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/@9HoleReviews

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Elvis
One of the best YouTubes was this old guy trying to quick draw his pistol.

He shot himself in the leg............and then posted it up so everyone could see what a fool he was.

if you think that was good. You should watch him wear his leather pants and practice his bull whip video

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might add after all these comments that anything "free" is going to vary widely in value....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might add after all these comments that anything "free" is going to vary widely in value....

Post of the year so far. Lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you haven't checked out this guys stuff, you should, he's very talented. His background is in software development with a degree in mechanical engineering, he's becoming one of the most talented gunsmiths of our generation. He may look a bit nerdy for the over 60 crowd but he knows his stuff!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Like Honest Outlaw Chris from Iowa I trust him and Tfb TV and fmg pubs folks. Yes I think some folks reviews are for sale but Chris honest outlaw just raked a .357 desert eagle over the coals and will tell you if a $1200 gun is crap and then show why it's crap.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

lol......good point!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 257Bob
If you haven't checked out this guys stuff, you should, he's very talented. His background is in software development with a degree in mechanical engineering, he's becoming one of the most talented gunsmiths of our generation. He may look a bit nerdy for the over 60 crowd but he knows his stuff!

I don't watch too much youtube stuff but Gavin is one that seems to have relevant tests/reviews.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tcp
I, for one, would appreciate a list of what others find to be well made content about hunting/firearms/reloading worth watching on YouTube. What little media I watch is on YouTube and I have found a few good examples but much more that isn't and searching seems to be a huge time sink.

Thanks

I really enjoy TGS Outdoors, mostly about shotguns, and most of them priced well out of my reach, but they also feature driven hunts, clays shooting, and my favorite the Holt’s auctions.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup. When Gavin gives you data, it’s data, not guesswork. His test gear is amazing.

I enjoy the Hell out of Harrell’s stuff, but some of his testing methods make me want to scream. His advice however is spot-on almost always IMO.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've taken a handful of video on wild game prep and posted them on youtube. The links are in Rifle Loony News regularly, and in our web site's blog posts.
Last one i posted was on the Five Easy Pieces: otherwise known as quartering big game animals. That link is in a July 15, 2022 post; an upland game care video link is in the October 26, 2022 post. But click on any of them and you'll get to see them all.

Just go to www.riflesandrecipes.com and click on Blog on the upper right to access the blog.

Or here's the link to Five Easy Pieces:

Now once you get there, look just below the title of the video, there's a grayish circle on the left margin. It's supposed to be my bio photo.... If you click on that gray circle, the rest of the videos will show up. We did field dressing big game, and the Five Easy Pieces, and a series of short videos on upland game birds. Aging them, how to tell when they're aged enough, the easiest time to pluck them, how to take them apart. Lots of good info on upland bird game care.

Next project is to take video of big game quarters getting taken down to steaks, roasts, etc. I have several quarters in the freezer right now waiting for the knife.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you have any interest in watching hunting videos- The Hunting Public is the one to watch. I think they’ve been making more money in the last year or two, but in their first year or two they were sleeping under tarps, driving old beat up cars, and it was just a group of young guys that loved to hunt. They don’t shlep many products, in fact OnX Maps might be their only sponsor. Highly reccomend them!

Oh and they aren’t hunting private land where the deer are managed, most (as in 95%+) of their hunting is on public land.

Last edited by JustinL1; 02/08/23.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you know how to play the game YouTube can be big money. Once you build a big enough audience sponsors will practically kick down your door trying to give you free stuff to "test". Manufacturers will pay good money to get their products out there in front of the public's eyes. I know of a couple "homestead" channels that have gotten tractors to use on their channel.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I know a few of the Guntubers and they certainly vary. Gavin is definitely a very competent guy. One of these days, I need to make it over to where he is and see if we can get a proper optics testing set up there. He seems to want to do it and that is what I do for a living.

I will say that Youtube has been really going after gun and 2A related channels, so their days are likely numbered. I have a very small channel focusing on optics, but I mostly use it as a feeder to get people to realize I have a website. I do make sure all my videos are copied to Rumble. When Youtube is done with a bigger channels, they will go after smaller ones like mine.

ILya

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting video. I'd like to see the rest of it if that exists. I've butchered a few deer but mostly take them to a professional meat cutter. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't read your text at the bottom before posting. I now see the other videos!

Last edited by bowmanh; 02/08/23.
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

I could say that about a lot of the things I’ve paid for.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.