Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Is this considered a box call?! Doing some cabinet clean-out in my shop on this crappy January Saturday and came across this thing. Been a very long time since I used it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have that same call. Maybe only used it once or twice. Nice concept and will play wet. But sounds high pitched and screechy to me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I bought this on clearance at Bass Pro last year. I think I got it for like $12 or something like that. I have to say, it sounds great. Yelps are very good sounding and it has a little pin next to the big pin for clucks. You know, I've never had a bad Quaker Boy call. I think they're a very underrated call maker.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/22/23.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I found it in the back of the cabinet, of course I ran it. Reminded me of why it was in the back of the cabinet....

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I just received one of the Zink Calls Wicked Series Turkey Box Calls.

Zink says they teamed up with NWTF Grand National Champion call maker Marlin Watkins.

Poplar and blood wood. Looks as good as it sounds.

I have been using a Quaker Boy Grand Old Master but this one will make it to the woods this spring.

Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
You know, I've never had a bad Quaker Boy call. I think they're a very underrated call maker.

Spoke too soon. I like "waterproof" box calls. Picked this QB Hurricane waterproof box call up recently for under $30. All that rough finish could be forgiven if it sounded good. You can get some very basic flat yelps out of it. But 3/4ths of the sound rails produced zero sound. Just a really bad call overall. (If you want a very good "waterproof" box call, the Primos Waterboard is a way, way, way better choice. In fact, it's an excellent call overall.) But the Quaker Boy Hurricane - AVOID.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So that's it? Can it be tweaked and re-sealed? Worth it to mess with it? I haven't carried a box call in so long, it's like I never used one. So asking the questions, not making slight of anything. But like anything else, need to weight it against time/effort to usability. And I guess, what do you want to make of it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I picked up a couple of HS Strut waterproof box calls late last summer. Clearance price at Orschelns.

They sound very good but I was concerned the "coatings" on the sides and lid would wear thin with heavy use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
So that's it? Can it be tweaked and re-sealed? Worth it to mess with it? I haven't carried a box call in so long, it's like I never used one. So asking the questions, not making slight of anything. But like anything else, need to weight it against time/effort to usability. And I guess, what do you want to make of it.

No idea. Too cheap to worry about. I left a public review and that review will cost them more than I spent on the call. That's just a mess of a call.

I have probably a dozen box calls ranging from down right inexpensive to moderately expensive. All sound at least good, some great. This QB is simply bad. Not going to bother with it.

I'm still waiting on my Halloran box calls I ordered a few weeks ago. Built to order so I have a few weeks to go.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got a email that my David Halloran box calls will ship today. Yay.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Still new and unused. Nothing special, but a decent call. I'm just a dedicated mouth call only turkey hunter for whatever it's worth...

NRA life member

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 3,218 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.