Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A nitpick: That's not a VX-II, it's a Vari-X II scope. Leupold's nomenclature is such that abbreviation causes mislabeling.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Agree.

If it was mine, I’d grind out all that “bubba” bedding and do it right. Stock looks pretty nice to me and adds to the period/vintage ambiance.

You done good. Those are solid old rifles devoid of plastic and aluminum. All walnut and steel. What’s not to like. And it’s a proven shooter, which enhances its value. Just proving it’s a shooter more than doubles its value.

DF

I don't know if he's shot it yet? I'll bet it shoots well though. But I would not shoot it until a proper glass bedding job has been done to it. You know all about that one. You are one that appreciates proper glass bedding. Really the only way to go. All of my rifles get that done to them, even before I shoot them. Never have to worry or wonder about them ever again. No weird acts of wonky accuracy/precision going on, unless you have a scope puke, but it damn sure reduces the variables of what has gone wrong. You should never have to worry about the foundation of your rifle. Just how I see it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Any mauser and it's variants need the barrel shank bedded for an inch or two in front of the recoil lug. Since the front action screw goes into the recoil lug, there is a tendency for that to become a fulcrum of sorts when you tighten the screw down and also compresses the wood (unless you sleeve the hole).

My guess is the bedding is an attempt to free float the barrel. Over time I bet the thickness of the stock at the recoil lug 'compressed' and allowed the barrel to set lower into channel. Or there was some wood removed from the action area and made the barrel set too low.

Several past threads on bedding mausers and I think MD did a magazine article about it.

He went over yonder way
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will sand out the barrel channel, possibly refinish the stock(I have done several with true oil and really enjoyed it) and probably address bedding the action. I have never bedded an action before, I am kind of nervous to try, not sure if this is a good one to practice on...

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Heeler
Any mauser and it's variants need the barrel shank bedded for an inch or two in front of the recoil lug. Since the front action screw goes into the recoil lug, there is a tendency for that to become a fulcrum of sorts when you tighten the screw down and also compresses the wood (unless you sleeve the hole).

My guess is the bedding is an attempt to free float the barrel. Over time I bet the thickness of the stock at the recoil lug 'compressed' and allowed the barrel to set lower into channel. Or there was some wood removed from the action area and made the barrel set too low.

Several past threads on bedding mausers and I think MD did a magazine article about it.

Glass bedding the recoil lug is generally all that is needed on these. A lot of guys I know will freefloat the whole barrel. Post up some pics on how your mausers shoot. Thanks. The real proof is always on target. The only time it may be necessary is when the barrel is excessively heavy. Also, every rifle is it's own entity. One may like what you are suggesting and others may prefer what I'm saying. The OP has never done a bedding job, he may want to see if his smith is willing to bed it..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will sand out the barrel channel, possibly refinish the stock(I have done several with true oil and really enjoyed it) and probably address bedding the action. I have never bedded an action before, I am kind of nervous to try, not sure if this is a good one to practice on...

I would not touch that glop of bedding compound, until after you bed the action. That glop will keep it elevated in the stock just right to maintain the freefloat it has. After glass bedding the action, then you can remove it. However, I'd shoot it first to see how it does. That will give you a baseline to work from. Then when you remove that glop of bedding under the chamber, shoot it. If it shoots better, leave it as is. If it shoots worse, put a new bedding pad under the chamber area.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Oh and discovered it has some sort of aftermarket trigger cause it is a 2 stage.

Military triggers are usually 2 stage, if you have pictures of the trigger out of the stock the Mauser experts can tell you what you have better than I. I like the .338-06 so you definitely didn't get hurt at that price. I wouldn't leave it alone, so at $450 it wouldn't be cheap for me.

I'd keep your GS a secret if you really like his work. If his price included a barrel (even Douglas) he's working cheap compared to the guys around here. Though his suggestion of a B&C stock wouldn't be my first choice. Nothing wrong with B&C they're a very serviceable stock, I'm just not sure that it is better than what you have.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A B&C stock will set you back $350.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I would not touch that glop of bedding compound, until after you bed the action. That glop will keep it elevated in the stock just right to maintain the freefloat it has. After glass bedding the action, then you can remove it. However, I'd shoot it first to see how it does. That will give you a baseline to work from. Then when you remove that glop of bedding under the chamber, shoot it. If it shoots better, leave it as is. If it shoots worse, put a new bedding pad under the chamber area.
Good strategy.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good strategy.

DF

I don't know DF. I try to think of things mechanically and from experience. There are many methods, as you know. The main thing is to make sure the foundation is solid. That is first and foremost. Just how I see it.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Looks like a Czech VZ22 or VZ24 action with a newer commercial barrel and altered bolt handle. Typically well made Mauser M98 variants. While the bedding may look messy it might be perfectly functional. Have a gunsmith check the headspace or shoot a couple of rounds of inexpensive commercial ammo and check the case web for stretching. If OK shoot it and worry about the bedding later.

338-06 brass maybe fire formed from 30-06 brass with filler and a few grains of fast burning powder. I've fire formed cases by firing 30-06 factory loads in the 338-06 but that might not be safe in your rifle.

I would have grabbed that rifle too!

you can neck up shot 30/06 brass into 338/06, without having to fire form anything..

I've been doing that for a decade or two with my Model 70, that was necked up to that caliber from a 270 rebore...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
When I sold my .338-06, I resized those cases back to 30-06. Head stamp never changed.

DF

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,075 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.