24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Starting to cut back skiing downhill on back country skis.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Skijoring for the win.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Snow and Water! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
All three. Started alpine at age 7 with old long boards and bear trap bindings. Raced in HS and college, slalom snd GS. Water skied at Torch lake in the summers. Tried cross country at Big Bear. Now all I would do is cross country. Alpine lift tickets are too expensive and the mountains are too crowded.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Like to downhill but work and hs sports has interfered now for years. Hoping to hit a few hills here in MT we’ve never skied yet later this winter with the kids.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I really miss the early mornings , checking trails, it was a bit brutal at times with the cold temps , and it can take it's toll on the body but it was a great job. The group of folks I worked with was top notch. I started out at a small area, Silvercreek where I eventually became a professional ski patroller, then got hired at Winter Park,Colorado. Am glad I got to do some things when I was younger!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Was a professional Ski Patroller at Gore Mtn. in NY for a number of years. Patrolled and ran sleds on Telemark skis. Will probably ski there this coming Friday. Waterskied a bunch as a kid and could dock start on a slalom ski. No ski boat access now. Never bothered with cross country but put in a lot of miles on snowshoes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Used to ski for USC in college... used to do a couple of weeks out west in the snow each year... all those days are behind me now... don't really miss it until I watch one of Warren's fantastic ski movies...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Used to ski for USC in college... used to do a couple of weeks out west in the snow each year... all those days are behind me now... don't really miss it until I watch one of Warren's fantastic ski movies...

Yep - Warren Miller had a gift for sure.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I ski all winter long here in Colorado. And, I Just got back from a week of skiing at Big Sky, Montana. I love it and plan to do it until they put me in the ground.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Never had any interest

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grew up on skis, met my wife on a ski trip in college and spent our honeymoon skiing (and doing a few other things 😉). Part of the reason we live here is to ski. I ski patrol at the Grand Targhee a couple days a week, and ski a few more off duty.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
We came to snow skiing later in life and we loved it.Hope to go with our young grandchildren a few times while we're still able.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its interesting other ethnic groups don't show any interests in skiing .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

Yep - Warren Miller had a gift for sure.

No Doubt... he could make someone who was wheelchair bound, want to strap on and go.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've snow skied on and off for years but because I don't have ready access, I don't do it anymore, I depend on my knees and don't want to risk injury for something I would do only occasionally. My sister lives in Park City, my sons went to visit her and ski/snowboard for a few days, I financed the trip, middle son smacks a tree while snowboarding, snaps his femur in half, the x ray was horrific, at least from a parents perspective. He now has a titanium rod in his leg but has since gone back skiing and is otherwise ok. In total, medical bills were roughly $60k, mostly paid by insurance. Just this year, my sister and her family of 6 rented a snowcat and had the operator take them up a local mountain for virgin skiiing, no telling what that cost, my guess $5k or more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Water skied, in Australia, as a kid.

Learned to ski downhill, as a young adult, in Australia too.

Moved to Canada & got heavily involved with the local ski hill, as a volunteer, for something to stop cabin fever.

Deb, Caroline & Doug, all learned to snowboard.

Eventually, managed the hill for 3 winters, wife & kids having a great time.

Worked up to level 2 ski instructor & level 1 snowboard instructor accreditation & taught about 30-40 days a season, mostly kids, but some adults too.

Had a great late winter/spring program, with all the local Elementary schools, from grade 4 up & the High school, having multiple, weekday trips.

Got hard, taking time away from our business, but I loved it.

Let accreditation lapse, during the beer virus & haven't done either since 2019.

I miss it greatly, Deb not so much, as it was getting hard on her body.

It does give me more time for ice fishing !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 30338
Current ski passes are $150 to $200 a day. Recently Breck had 2 hour waits in the lift lines. That's a no for me.

Breck locals have told me that they go to Ski Cooper or Loveland on weekends and during holiday weeks if the snow is better than usual. Or they just hang out in their favorite bar. Everything about alpine skiing has become stupid expensive such that, for the most part, only the big areas have survived.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
do all three

was just out xc skiing and downhill, back country telemarking at local mountain

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ribka; 02/08/23.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Skied downhill from 1966 to 1996. Whole family skied. Occasional X-country from mid 70s to about the same end time. Did a little racing in high school. Grew up in northern NY when there was lots of snow and little to large ski areas all over the place. In high school was skiing at least a couple hours 5 to 7 days a week. Went to college in Troy NY, so had easy access to Vermont ski areas.

Army sent me to Colorado, then Alaska first couple of assignments, so still good access to snow. Later assignments in Maryland, Alabama, Virginia made skiing a lot less accessible and affordable. Then worked in TN and VA after retiring from the Army. Got to where I was lucky to get 5 to 7 days a year, skills eroding, cost climbing, last time I skied was a trip to Banff in '96.

Moved back to snow country couple of years ago, but not planning to start downhill again at 65. Have tracks for my atv and snowshoes when I want to get out in the winter.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.