Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Loaded some 69gr Barnes for my .223ai and the difference between 2.50 and 2.55 was unbelievable. At least a 1" so I had to try it again with the same results.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, but how far off the lands were you? I'm assuming you are talking about the match burners. They are not quite as good as the SMK, but they do well enough for most practice and steel target plinking.. Your comparison is substantial (.050"), but what is more important is knowing how far off the lands you are. That is the best reference you can have. Also, what kind of load development did you do? Work up to find OCW with each OAL setting? By changing the distance off the lands, you are changing the node. You could fall into a good node with each OAL setting. I don't putz around with OAL most times, just run them at .020" off the lands. More info is needed in your OP to validate what you are saying..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had good luck in my 260 using Matchburners pretty far from the lands. Mag length didn't get me anywhere near the lands but best accuracy was seated even deeper. Not a match chamber and the throat is way out there.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Loaded some 69gr Barnes for my .223ai and the difference between 2.50 and 2.55 was unbelievable. At least a 1" so I had to try it again with the same results.

I have found seating depth and COAL are the second biggest variables in handloading, right after the choice of bullets. Also found a lot of bullets like a lot more "jump" than you'd expect. Always pays to experiment!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

I have found seating depth and COAL are the second biggest variables in handloading, right after the choice of bullets. Also found a lot of bullets like a lot more "jump" than you'd expect. Always pays to experiment!

With component costs and availability right now, some of you guys are paying out the azz to "experiment" I bet. I try to keep schidt simple with less component waste. Finding a good load doesn't have to be hard, nor do you need to burn up a lot of expensive components either. The OP is not answering my questions, but I was messing around with the bullet he mentions (I believe), just the other day. Working on a new rifle, powder and bullet I've never tried in said new rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Usually group shape and dispersion tells you if your seating depth is good. This one for example is nice and round. No muss and no fuss with bullet loaded at .025" off the lands. That's where I left it because it's the same seating die I use for my 77SMK. That's where it landed, so that is what I used. Nice to not have to mess with a die and it works for 2 different bullets. Now, to test said bullet at 400 yards:

Not the best, but it's "good enough". Can you share some info regarding the bullet in question? Since rickt300 also brought up the 140gr match burner. Shooting that bullet with new powder (StaBall 6.5) and freshly glass bedded Mcmillan:
Again, .020" off the lands. Nothing fancy, just simple and easy. Not a lot of component waste either. And same bullet and load at 400:

Sorry man, that is just how I see it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Crap now I need some Sta Ball powder! I have had very good luck shooting both the 120 and 140 grain Matchburners, when bullets were hard to get they were occasionally available and I stocked up.

Dog I rescued in January

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yeah, but how far off the lands were you? I'm assuming you are talking about the match burners. They are not quite as good as the SMK, but they do well enough for most practice and steel target plinking.. Your comparison is substantial (.050"), but what is more important is knowing how far off the lands you are. That is the best reference you can have. Also, what kind of load development did you do? Work up to find OCW with each OAL setting? By changing the distance off the lands, you are changing the node. You could fall into a good node with each OAL setting. I don't putz around with OAL most times, just run them at .020" off the lands. More info is needed in your OP to validate what you are saying..
I started where Barnes recommended, a 2.250 OAL and increased .050 at a time. I have no idea where the lands are at the moment, but I stuck a bullet at 2.300. My Redding dies and neck bushings just came in today so I'm just getting started. Honestly I could quit right now and be very happy, 68gr Hornady match bullets averaged 3064fps and less than 1/2" moa for 5 shots. The Barnes did the same with 3 shot groups. Only problem is I have a bunch of different powders and bullets to try and I like to shoot.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
A stiff load of CFE 223 and Hornady 68gr match bullets are working good together. I'm showing excellent velocity 3228fps and groups as good as I can shoot without any pressure signs. Hopefully some Barnes 62ttsx and Hornady 75gr match will become available and I can get to work finding a good load for them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some good shooting in this thread!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The 68 grain Hornady BTHP is one hell of a good bullet and an accurate bullet.

it and the 75 gr Hornady BTHP are both sleeper bullets for accuracy...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A stiff load of CFE 223 and Hornady 68gr match bullets are working good together. I'm showing excellent velocity 3228fps and groups as good as I can shoot without any pressure signs. Hopefully some Barnes 62ttsx and Hornady 75gr match will become available and I can get to work finding a good load for them.

Just getting ready to try that combo in a couple of ARs. Previously had good results at 2.25” and BL-C2. Gotta switch b/c CFE223 was all I could find recently.

Yours in Liberty,

BL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,019 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.