Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I’m looking to upgrade the kitchen cabinet drawer slides and cabinet door hinges to soft close style.
Is there a noticeable difference in quality in the selection of these on the market?
If there’s a reason to go with more costly slides and hinges, which brands would you recommend?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can you order a single and try it out ?

I don’t believe there’s a big difference though .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We have soft close cabinets. Our builder is a cabin maker so everything was custom made on location. Not sure what brand he used but all of them close very nice, even the pots & pans drawers.

JD338

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like them.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Google KV drawer guides. I don’t know if they are the best or not, but they’re good!

Mackey.

Mackey
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
For soft-close drawer slides check out:
Grass Dynapro slides
Blum Tandem slides
Hettich Quadro IW21 slides
KV MUV slides
You’ll need to get new drawer boxes too.

For soft-close euro hinges check out:
Blum
Salice
Grass Tiomos
You’ll probably need new doors too.

These are the current cabinet industry standards.
Made in Europe, not China.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When we built new cupboards, we bought hardware from Rockler. We used fifty dollar glides in the silver wear drawer.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had them now since our big remodel almost 10 years ago. Have had zero issues with the soft-close drawers, even in the very heavy pots/pans ones.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey, thanks for the replies.
I will definitely check out the manufacturers listed.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Try searching on hardwarehut.com,
they sell the Salice, Grass and Hettich products.
Undermount softclose slides will require new drawer boxes. Sidemount softclose slides are also available and may work with your existing drawers if you have 1/2” between the drawer opening and the side of the drawer box on each side.
Ask for Stephanie or Cindi or Micki at hardwarehut.com. They know what they’re doing.
Tell them Mike F. sent you.

Last edited by Fenton; 02/07/23.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Will do, and thanks.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Figure out a way to buy the expensive ones cheaply.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Stop slamming them and spend the balance on guns and ammo.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
m stevenson;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day in your section of southern Michigan was kind to you and you're well.

With the understanding that my information is dated in that I've been out of the cabinet business since 2014, but started in '87.

We'd just started using soft close hinges then and were using Hettich.

Off the top of my head I recall using Acuride, Blum, Hettich, Salice and Ferrari hinges and hardware. The Accuride full extension and Blum and Hettich regular slides were good quality and virtually trouble free.

We've had Blum hinges in our kitchen that I installed in '03 and not one hinge has failed.

Maybe it was the time we used them, but we did have issues with the Italian hinges and hardware mentioned.

I was going to install soft close in our kitchen - I want to say either Hettich or Accuride, but didn't.

Hope that was useful for you or someone out there.

Best of luck with the project.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Stop slamming them and spend the balance on guns and ammo.
Do you have a suggestion for teaching my wife not to slam them?
It’s not a problem for me, but she can’t seem to close them without it sounding like a train running into a brick wall.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 02/07/23.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
m stevenson;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day in your section of southern Michigan was kind to you and you're well.

With the understanding that my information is dated in that I've been out of the cabinet business since 2014, but started in '87.

We'd just started using soft close hinges then and were using Hettich.

Off the top of my head I recall using Acuride, Blum, Hettich, Salice and Ferrari hinges and hardware. The Accuride full extension and Blum and Hettich regular slides were good quality and virtually trouble free.

We've had Blum hinges in our kitchen that I installed in '03 and not one hinge has failed.

Maybe it was the time we used them, but we did have issues with the Italian hinges and hardware mentioned.

I was going to install soft close in our kitchen - I want to say either Hettich or Accuride, but didn't.

Hope that was useful for you or someone out there.

Best of luck with the project.

Dwayne
Hey Dwane, thanks for relating your experiences.
Have yourself a great rest of your week.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Please don't hate, but help educate me
Current house is 21 yrs old, from the info above my existing standard hinges and slides are below the current standards. What is the allure? I just replaced a few existing cupboard hinges because they didn't fully close, replacement hinges cost me about $3 and 5 mins time each. What am I missing out on? I do have one "junk drawer" that has been slammed over my kids' growth to adulthood and had to be enforced due to it being cheaply made, but what would I gain by upgrading?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I built a bunch of cabinets in my basements 4 years ago. I bought the drawer slides from Amazon. Selected by best reviews. They have been working great and I would do it again. Don’t remember what mfg they were tho.
I wouls suggest you look into full extension ones. You won’t regret it?

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by orfisch
Please don't hate, but help educate me
Current house is 21 yrs old, from the info above my existing standard hinges and slides are below the current standards. What is the allure? I just replaced a few existing cupboard hinges because they didn't fully close, replacement hinges cost me about $3 and 5 mins time each. What am I missing out on? I do have one "junk drawer" that has been slammed over my kids' growth to adulthood and had to be enforced due to it being cheaply made, but what would I gain by upgrading?

orfisch;
Top of the morning to you, I trust that wherever in the world this finds you, it finds you well.

Speaking broadly and my goodness I am terribly cognizant of how slippery a slope that can be, but until one gets exposed to what the general public might be capable of, it's tough to wrap one's head around a whole bunch of stuff. Please understand I do not mean that to be derogatory in any sense of the word.

For instance when we were farming, my brother and myself could run tractors and equipment with minimal issues while the cousin we farmed with had more breakdowns.

When I got into the cabinet industry machines, tolerances and producing an acceptable end product made sense to me and so help me it just does not come naturally to a whole lot of folks. Sometimes it can be taught, but for instance you will never teach me to hold a tune in a pair of big buckets, no matter how motivated we might both be.

In the same way, when we offered a lifetime warranty on our kitchens - which we did - when we'd go into some places after 20 years they looked basically new yet. Conversely I recall going into a local contractor's house after less than 2 years and the whole house looked at least 10 years old. Everything showed wear, it was wild how much too. I told the boss the entire family must have tiger claws or something?

So then if we overload a drawer which is built from PBC- particle board core - melamine and then we slam it with just a bit more than normal enthusiasm it will loosen up the screws holding the tracks in the PBC cabinet box.

There are usually extra screw holes not used and a careful person can repair PBC melamine with wood glue or epoxy and some sawdust, but it takes some time.

We could use plywood for the boxes and real wood for the drawers, but in places like Hawaii for instance where it might rain half the day, every day, plywood isn't the solution one would think.

As well, plywood manufacturers do not make it with as consistent a thickness as PBC melamine can be - we had a spec of +/- 1/10mm thickness for melamine and they hit that consistently. If the box material is varied in thickness, the overall size of a run of boxes can be troublesome at best and lead to boxes being cut down and new doors made at worst.

Anyways sorry for the long explanation, but some people's cabinets will last much longer with soft close and some people will never ever see the difference in cost.

The trick in life is to know one's weaknesses and purchase accordingly isn't it?

Hope that made sense and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.