Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I want a digital scale for reloading - I just don't like straining to read balance beam scales.

I'm looking on Amazon and see electronics scales for $15 to $200 that are supposedly accurate to 1/10 grain, but regardless of price, the reviews all say the same thing: "won't hold zero...constant drift if you let it sit for too long...have to constantly recalibrate". This is from Lyman, Hornady, RCBS and bunch of strangely named Chinese scales.

Any recommendations, other than "learn to read balance beam scales"?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was in a similar situation a few months back.

I upped my budget and went with the A&D FX120i. Lab quality, accurate to .01, no drift ... it’s the one.

[Linked Image from ]

https://ceproducts.shop/products/fx-120i-reloading-scale-122g-x-0-001g

Wasn’t cheap. Absolutely no regrets. Waiting on a Super Trickler now (not an Autotrickler V4 BTW).

Rick

Last edited by RickBin; 02/06/23.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RickBin

I upped my budget and went with the A&D FX120i. Lab quality, accurate to .01, no drift ... it’s the one.

[Linked Image from ]

Wasn’t cheap. Absolutely no regrets. Waiting on a Super Trickler now (not an Autotrickler V4 BTW).

Rick

I'm sorry you old guys need these. Beam scale and trickler or powder measure baby!!! Keeping it simple one post at a time..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old School Hi-tech... My RCBS/Ohaus Model 304 Dial-A-Grain scale.... You can read that SOB... It's accurate too!... Speed ?... Not so much...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Old School Hi-tech... My RCBS/Ohaus Model 304 Dial-A-Grain scale.... You can read that SOB... It's accurate too!... Speed ?... Not so much...

My eyes suck too, but I can still read my 5-0-5. There will be a day though.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Keeping it simple one post at a time..

One of the funniest post's I have read in a long time laugh

Bloviating 42,000+ post's is NOT keeping it simple laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor

You have a lot of learning to do too. Keep trying though. You are one that always seems to have issues getting your rifles to shoot well. One of these days, you'll get it and realize it's not the rifles that are at fault. Nor is it your reloading equipment.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor

You have a lot of learning to do too. Keep trying though. You are one that always seems to have issues getting your rifles to shoot well. One of these days, you'll get it and realize it's not the rifles that are at fault. Nor is it your reloading equipment.

That is funny as well, the only rifle I had issues shooting well is a Tikka t3x lemon that I should have returned, now that I replaced the stock the barrel and had the action blueprinted it shoots awesome like my other 20+ rifles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still using my RCBS electronic scales after almost 30 years. I'm not sure what model they are. I find they don't need to be recalibrated when loading 20 rounds and I rarely load more than that at a time. If they do, recalibrating takes about 20 seconds.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do want one of the FX120 scales but if you are looking for a cheaper option, I have a Dillon that has worked great for me.
Oh and I also have a beam scale as well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Used A & D lab scales for 35+ years, they are the tits.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The A&D scale is the Cadillac. If you want a stop gap and have an old laptop and web camera, set it up so you can view your beam scale.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a lower cost Lyman digital scale that I’ve had for at least 10 years, probably more. I keep it unplugged when it’s not being used. When I do use it I let it sit powered up for about an hour then calibrate it. It doesn’t drift much if I do that. I don’t weigh each charge, once my measure is adjusted to throw the wanted charge, I start filling cases. Near the end I’ll re-zero the scale and assure that the measure is still giving the correct amount. I don’t think I’d be as happy trying to weigh every load with my inexpensive scale.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
GemPro 250. Super accurate to within .01 grain and MUCH faster than any beam scaled I've used in the past.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickBin

[Linked Image from ]

Rick

I have the same scale with the V3 Autotrickler.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostman
GemPro 250. Super accurate to within .01 grain and MUCH faster than any beam scaled I've used in the past.

The GemPro is a nice little scale.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out this site for a good overview of scales to fit your need. Compare the chart for each scale you're interested in for the resolution...not how many digits are displayed on the read out. wink If you go to the top left side under 'Scale Finder', you can choose the options that fit and the scales meeting that will be shown.

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have a GemPro of some sort stuffed somewhere. I bought it thinking i would get more precise loads.
I followed directions as stated and did as told. I zeroed and started weighing powder and checked with beam scale. All was good. I loaded about 20 rounds and figured out something wasn’t correct. Rechecked and found the digital had changed by over a grain.Now what? I stated checking loads from the beginning and found out it had slowly changed as more were weighed. Unplugged it and put it back in the box. The End. Edk

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
ERK:

This is exactly the source of my frustration. No one, and I mean NO ONE, does a review of electronic scales that tests their reliability. There is no way to ensure against drift unless you re-zero every use - that means weigh your powder charge, dump the powder, re-zero...weigh your charge, dump the powder, re-zero...over and over and over.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a RCBS Chargemaster, will spoil you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (12344mag, 2UP, 35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,470
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.