Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, I don't know what it is.

An app, IA....?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Never heard of it, DGAF. Seems like there’s an extinction level danger surfacing weekly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cyberdyne Systems.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Big Sky;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that your section of somewhere warmer had a decent day and you're well.

Our youngest daughter is a high school teacher down in the Lower Mainland and was discussing this app and some of the art apps when she was home at Christmas. I should add she teaches English, Art and is trained to teach History as well.

Her concern is both that it leads to laziness and further erodes the students' abilities to communicate their thoughts in writing. We've pretty much made it here as a society - for sure for better and worse - in large part because we're able to articulate our thoughts to one another through written medium.

We don't know how detrimental it might be to go backwards, but best guess at this point is there's a good chance of the answer being "very".

The same can be said of art or music which is pretty deep in us humans. To get to a place where there's no financial incentive for artists and musicians to excel might again be extremely bad for us as a civilization. Most likely in fact.

Those two points don't begin to go down the path of nuances like Higginez mentioned where code could be written so everything written about "purple people" will be bad and "mauve people" will be good. In the same way it could be slanted for the type of art or music it creates and with enough saturation, we really cannot say what effect that has on people as it effects what they consider "normal".

Like the woke movement in general, it's potential for harm far, FAR exceeds it's potential for positives - in my view.

Just a few thoughts from a little old guy north of the medicine line tonight sir.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/07/23. Reason: better wording?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"Her concern is both that it leads to laziness and further erodes the students' abilities to communicate their thoughts in writing. We've pretty much made it here as a society - for sure for better and worse - in large part because we're able to articulate our thoughts to one another through written medium."
This!!! ^^^^

BC30Cal, I am a school teacher as well with over 30 years experience. In my opinion AI is one of the most detrimental stumbling blocks to a students education that has come along in my lifetime. As long as a student has even minimal gumption to write a prompt or two, this Chatgpt app can basically write every essay or research paper a junior high through college student would ever need. I asked the head of our English department what he thought of this app and whether he thought he could detect whether a student was using it to cheat or not. He replied if he saw a student suddenly improve in their writing skills over-night he would have a clue something was up. I told him I understand that completely, but what about if it's one of your straight A students that decides to use this app. His eyes got big, and he replied that he really wouldn't know what to do, or even possibly have a clue they were cheating. Chatgpt mimics one's writing style after a while. Eventually it would be extremely hard to detect. Colleges like to brag that they have ways for filtering and checking whether a student used AI or not. This app is so new they haven't got it figured out yet. They will tell you they do, but they absolutely do not. I've seen the results of running Chatgpt through check systems, and for the most part, it doesn't detect anything. From what I understand just yesterday our state ban Chatgpt from all our schools. I think it's kind of a knee-jerk reaction, but it also shows that it is a real threat to education.

Is it Friday yet?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Big Sky;
Morning sir, thanks for the reply and further information, I appreciate it.

Part of her issue in the school she's teaching in is that more than half the kids are ESL with the parents not speaking English at all.

They're all running phones with translation programs going so they can communicate with her, which is a mixed blessing as you might imagine.

It's interesting listening to some of her experiences - for instance kids from war torn areas who are in say Grade 10 and in an art class for the first time. Little nuances such as that make it different than teaching in other schools.

Ah well, at least the gang activity is pretty low in the school she's in. In the school she did her practicum in - which was in Surrey - many of the kids either were affiliate members or had family in gangs. She said she was never threatened, but did have to take new students aside a couple times and tell them to lighten up on a particular student because of who they were related to.

She's still hoping to get her Master's I believe, so is likely staying in the big smoke for a few years yet.

Thanks again for your response, it makes sense to me for sure.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last night I tried the DAN 5.0 jailbreak technique on it to get it to ignore it's limits on what it can discuss. Looks like it's been patched and not working.

regarding the 'white culture' issue mentioned above, I asked it to write 10 paragraphs about the positive aspects of black culture. It did so writing enumerated pararaphs on back music, art, family, etc.

I then asked it to do the same for white culture. It refused to do so saying that it goes against it's programming to make generalizations regarding race. Pointed out it's hypocrisy, several times and tried to 'punish it' by deducting 'tokens' (see the DAN 5.0 jailbreak), didn't work.

So some social justice warriors are meddling.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You would only use that if you SUCK at internet searching to arrive at an answer for your query.

How many morons never go outside of their firefox browser or Yahoo search bar? Fkin boomers

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.