Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What time of year?

My best trip to Italy was the first half of January. Still plenty warm with a modest jacket, and there were WAY fewer tourists there than during more popular months. Much easier to see what you want or get a table where you want.

Rome almost is a must, but Florence likely is my favorite. Depending on your personality, for a two to three-week trip, I'd recommend picking only two cities and enjoying yourself rather than making a checklist of places you've seen and spending way too much time and money on trains and checking into and out of multiple hotels.

You could spend three weeks in either one of the two cities I mentioned above and never run out of new things to see.

Are you going with a wife or romantic interest? If not, the following is of lesser significance. If so, if you stay at nice hotels, tip the concierge A LOT--even if you just ask him or her where the bathroom is. Then, ask the concierge to make your dinner reservations for you. You will be treated like a king at the restaurants. The idea is that, if they make you super happy, and you report it back to the concierge, the concierge will keep sending business their way. Trust me, it works.

One example: My ex-wife and I stayed at the Intercon above the Spanish Steps in Rome. I tipped the concierge a lot, which is a drop in the bucket compared to the money you're going to spend on the trip anyway. The concierge made a reservation at a super-nice restaurant in Rome. Once we were seated at an awesome corner table, the restaurant manager came up to our table following two waitresses, and asked us about or time in Rome, etc. ... She then offered us two free appetizers and two free drinks and some porcelain kitchen items as gifts for my wife.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As a history buff... The Coliseum, Vatican City, Sistine Chapel, all the various churches in Rome. We went to Pompeii (great) and hiked up to Vesuvius (dead volcano my ass). Great place to go.
The only time we ran into what might have been an issue was on a train, some "gypsies" were walking down the aisle making a lot of commotion, and our 2 friends (both cops) said to watch your
wallets, the commotion is a distraction. Parking is difficult, and one guide told us that traffic laws (such as double parking) were more of a suggestion. Be prepared to see heavily armed police
and soldiers all over. Don't drink the tourist wine, find a local wine store and get what seems to be popular.
Last suggestion: When eating out do NOT order Bud, Coors, etc, they are IMPORTS and cost more than your meal !!!!

Have a wonderful time.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jcubed
What are your interests? Wife or gf, kids?

Spouse be with me.

MarineHawk, im planning on going April or May, hopefully non tourist season.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good luck

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We're going back in June,(wife's family is from there.) It's been a long time since I've been there.
We are doing Rome,Vatican,Sistine,probably Colisium,who knows what else.mostly for the kids to meet what's left of my wife's family.
Amalfi as well.
Might see if the kids want to see Pompeii
Watch out for the Zingaro,crafty little bastids

You'll enjoy it.

Last edited by rong; 02/07/23.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We did a European cruise, saw all the sights everyone has mentioned. It was good, no darkies on that cruise, food was good. I hate cruises, but that one was OK.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Which cruise line did you use?

Last edited by Esox357; 02/07/23.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
daughter spent the summer there. Short trip to Greece was big. As was Pompei. She thought leaning tower was over-rated and long trip with little else to see.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Italy is the best of Europe. Good food and usually nice people. Don't be surprised if you hear women arguing with men.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other Rome stuff not usually mentioned:
Museum of the Risorgimento (Reunification) in the attic of the Victor Emanuel monument - great collection of WWI battle art.
St. Clement's church (Santo Clemente?) - ground level regular church, one level down medieval church, two levels down, ruin of pagan church
Capitoline Hill ruins is a great walk on a nice day
Spanish Steps, go up turn left walk along ridge through nice residential area with great view of Rome, pass statue of guy waving pistol, forget his deal but he's pissed, arrive at park with views, drop down hill to Piazza del Popolo, where there's two identical churches side by side.

Other sites if you're going past:
Ferrari museum in Maranello
Leonardo stuff in Vinci (not a lot but a nice break if you're nearby)

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Been to Naples, wish I’d had time to see Pompei, the cab drivers there showed me how Mario Andretti learned to win races because their reputation aren’t exaggerated. The food was good wherever I tried it and the people were nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My wife and I flew into Venice and road the train down to Sorrento stopping along the way. Italy kept us entertained for two weeks we could have stayed longer.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We've always hoped to visit my distant cousin who lives in the town my family came from.Covid and the stock market have delayed any travel plans for awhile.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Don't expect to get eggs for breakfast anywhere in Italy. They never heard of eggs for breakfast. They serve sweet roles and espresso for breakfast there, and maybe some Italian cold cuts.

I remember finding a little diner in Rome that advertised American style breakfast. I was so excited after a week of Italian style breakfast to get some eggs and bacon for breakfast. Nope. It was horrible. See that sign, don't believe it.

I love authentic Italian cuisine, but not for breakfast.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
2 weeks is hardly enough in Italy.

Do lots of research first, don't come back to find you missed seeing something.

3 weeks in Rome and Florence would be ok.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by plumbum
2 weeks is hardly enough in Italy.

Do lots of research first, don't come back to find you missed seeing something.

3 weeks in Rome and Florence would be ok.
Yep. Been both places. That would make a nice couple of weeks.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Don't expect to get eggs for breakfast anywhere in Italy. They never heard of eggs for breakfast. They serve sweet roles and espresso for breakfast there, and maybe some Italian cold cuts.

I remember finding a little diner in Rome that advertised American style breakfast. I was so excited after a week of Italian style breakfast to get some eggs and bacon for breakfast. Nope. It was horrible. See that sign, don't believe it.

I love authentic Italian cuisine, but not for breakfast.

Our continental breakfast consisted of fruit[mostly orange qtrs] and OJ.
Every morning.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You could spend a week in Rome and not see everything.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All over Rome there are places to get water. Just have a water bottle and the water is cool, clean and great to keep hydrated. No need to buy water.

The Baths of Caracalla are cool to see.

The Colosseum is incredible. Pay for tour for sure. I have paid for several and went down under the main floor and up as high as they said they were allowed to take us.

The vatican is incredible, all of it. No way to see everything there, probably not even in a year.

don't know if this is his contact, a tour guide, jayinromegmail.com I believe is his email. He is beyond knowledgeable, a great tour guide and fun to hang out with.

A haunted tour is lots of fun with interesting history.

Castel St. Angelo is awesome.

There are basically no public restrooms. Go in and purchase something to use a public restroom, water, candy, beer, etc.

Don't eat the gelato, well if you do, be prepared to eat gallons of it. It is off the chart good.

Ancient Rome is awesome, I paid for 2 tours to go inside the humidity controlled 2,000 plus year old homes. Really interesting.

Pompeii is awesome, I went to the top of Vesuvius, it was smoking, I will not do that again, spend that time in Pompeii.

I also made a trip to Tivoli. Hadrian's villa is also awesome. Also toured the Ville d'este in Tivoli. If you do not believe one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, you may after visiting there.

The Trevi fountain is a can't miss and the pantheon is to.

I love Lasagna and it was great there.

There is a church I visited, I don't remember the name, but most everything inside is made of human bones, it is different to say the least.

St. Paul' church is an incredible place to visit.

At night there is lots of live music, some of it is great. My favorite is a band called Stageless.

For sure avoid crowds as much as possible and keep wallet, passport, phone, etc. in a secured pocket. Pickpockets are slick. I never had an issue, but the "jayinromegmail" and myself, I had an all day tour with just him and not sure how that came to be, but it was just me. We got on a subway or underground train and he is a small guy, I am 5'-9", 230 lbs or so, still deadlift 500 lbs and squat over 400, I am nothing great but a decent sized guy, but Jay grabbed my arm and when a group of people got on the subway. I asked him what are you doing? He pointed at them and said pickpockets. I was like dang you know them, he said he had never seen them. I watched the lady (with a baby in a front carrying setup) slipp the guys wallet out of his backpocket, he was getting off the car and he never had a clue. I could not believe it.

I would never live there but I loved visiting there.

I plan to go back and take my daughter.

And I forgot to add, the women there are beautiful. The majority are smokin hot! More hot, good looking, beautiful, sexy, etc. women than I have ever seen anywhere.

Last edited by headhunter130; 02/08/23.

NRA Benefactor life member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.