Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing...rsrCMf_mpwm-w-3shfjtZr7jSMn7op7Vg24NCD1s

Alligator-Catfish Hybrids Are Being Spawned in an Alabama Lab

Using gene-editing technology and just a pinch of alligator DNA, scientists at Auburn have created a sterile, hybrid species of catfish they say is more resistant to infection

By Dac Collins | Published Feb 2, 2023 5:04 PM

Fishing

Adobe stock farmed catfish
Catfish farming is a huge industry both here in the United States and abroad. Adobe stock

In an effort to build a better catfish, researchers at Auburn University have genetically engineered a hybrid catfish species using alligator DNA. The methodology might sound scary. But the byproducts are nearly identical to the farm-raised catfish sold in grocery stores throughout the country. Still, regulatory approval isn’t a guarantee and these reptilian mud kitties won’t end up on the shelves anytime soon.
Creating a More Resilient Catfish

Americans eat a lot of catfish, and it’s impossible to put a number on how many chuckleheads we catch and cook on an annual basis. Regardless, it’s not enough to satisfy the overall demand. In 2021 alone, we imported around 256 million pounds of it from other countries. Meanwhile, we commercially produced another 307 million pounds here at home. Most of these farm-raised fish come from the South—primarily Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas—where the deep-fried delicacy’s true soulmate, the “hush puppy,” was born.

Read Next: How to Catch Catfish in Winter

The only problem with raising catfish in farm ponds is that these water bodies turn into breeding grounds for disease. Farmers lose a huge number of fish every year to various infections. That’s why researchers at Auburn University are trying to create a more resilient catfish. With some genetic engineering and just a pinch of alligator DNA, a team of scientists have successfully spawned a new hybrid catfish species that they believe can better resist infection.

To achieve this, the research team led by Rex Dunham and Baofeng Su is using CRISPR technology, which allows scientists to edit and alter the genes of plants and animals. They were already looking for a genetic component to increase the heartiness of freshwater catfish. That search led them to a unique protein found in alligators called cathlecidin. In an interview with the Ireland-based Fish Site, Dunham explained that this antimicrobial protein is thought to protect alligators from developing infections in their wounds. The team figured if they could insert this gene into catfish, they’d end up with a more resilient fish.
Ethical Concerns

One fear that came up during the experiment was the risk of a genetically modified super-fish escaping from farms and disrupting neighboring ecosystems. To prevent this, they used the CRISPR gene-editing tool to remove a catfish gene associated with reproduction. They replaced it with the alligator gene. With these genes swapped, the hybrid catfish are unable to reproduce.

Follow-up experiments proved that the survival rates of these hybrid fish were “between two- and five-fold higher,” according to Dunham. While they haven’t been peer-reviewed yet, their findings have since been published in bioRxiv.

Because of the ethical concerns surrounding CRISPR technology and genetic modification, regulatory approval for these hybrid catfish isn’t a certainty. The experiment has already raised doubts among the larger scientific community as well. Some have argued that even if these hybrids are more resilient, most fish farmers don’t have a use for lab-spawned, sterile fish. And even though the hybrid species is still just a catfish, there’s also the marketing problem of selling hybridized alligator-catfish to consumers.

Dunham and Su think people could eventually come around to the idea, and Dunham explained that it’s unlikely anybody would notice a difference in the meat itself. “I would eat it in a heartbeat,” he said.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
phuggin Fauci!!!!!

actually I read about it a few days ago.

questionable value, fun to catch I bet

Last edited by KFWA; 02/08/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If they won’t eat idiots what good are they?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If they won’t eat idiots what good are they?

Feed them libs!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heard about that over the weekend... of course like all rumors it was that they were already being put in lakes across the US... I was going to research it for myself but forgot.

Kent

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They keep messing with chit. They need to leave it alone

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hopefully the GatorCats' preferred diet is Democrats.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yep
Commyfornia and Arizona are spending Millions on trying to clean up the Gene Pool of fish in these States because of what we did all the way back in the 1800s.

I am sure there are other States as well.

Know it all Scientists screw more things up than they solve.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can't make shiit like this up!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me of Tripoid Carp..... gov. guaranteed for years that they were sterile and spread them all over the south to combat excessive plant growth in lakes. They they found hatchlings, in a tank of guaranteed sterile carp.

Dumbazz government!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no way that this story doesn't turn into a movie on the sci-fi channel.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing...rsrCMf_mpwm-w-3shfjtZr7jSMn7op7Vg24NCD1s

Alligator-Catfish Hybrids Are Being Spawned in an Alabama Lab

Using gene-editing technology and just a pinch of alligator DNA, scientists at Auburn have created a sterile, hybrid species of catfish they say is more resistant to infection

By Dac Collins | Published Feb 2, 2023 5:04 PM

Fishing

Adobe stock farmed catfish
Catfish farming is a huge industry both here in the United States and abroad. Adobe stock

In an effort to build a better catfish, researchers at Auburn University have genetically engineered a hybrid catfish species using alligator DNA. The methodology might sound scary. But the byproducts are nearly identical to the farm-raised catfish sold in grocery stores throughout the country. Still, regulatory approval isn’t a guarantee and these reptilian mud kitties won’t end up on the shelves anytime soon.
Creating a More Resilient Catfish

Americans eat a lot of catfish, and it’s impossible to put a number on how many chuckleheads we catch and cook on an annual basis. Regardless, it’s not enough to satisfy the overall demand. In 2021 alone, we imported around 256 million pounds of it from other countries. Meanwhile, we commercially produced another 307 million pounds here at home. Most of these farm-raised fish come from the South—primarily Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas—where the deep-fried delicacy’s true soulmate, the “hush puppy,” was born.

Read Next: How to Catch Catfish in Winter

The only problem with raising catfish in farm ponds is that these water bodies turn into breeding grounds for disease. Farmers lose a huge number of fish every year to various infections. That’s why researchers at Auburn University are trying to create a more resilient catfish. With some genetic engineering and just a pinch of alligator DNA, a team of scientists have successfully spawned a new hybrid catfish species that they believe can better resist infection.

To achieve this, the research team led by Rex Dunham and Baofeng Su is using CRISPR technology, which allows scientists to edit and alter the genes of plants and animals. They were already looking for a genetic component to increase the heartiness of freshwater catfish. That search led them to a unique protein found in alligators called cathlecidin. In an interview with the Ireland-based Fish Site, Dunham explained that this antimicrobial protein is thought to protect alligators from developing infections in their wounds. The team figured if they could insert this gene into catfish, they’d end up with a more resilient fish.
Ethical Concerns

One fear that came up during the experiment was the risk of a genetically modified super-fish escaping from farms and disrupting neighboring ecosystems. To prevent this, they used the CRISPR gene-editing tool to remove a catfish gene associated with reproduction. They replaced it with the alligator gene. With these genes swapped, the hybrid catfish are unable to reproduce.

Follow-up experiments proved that the survival rates of these hybrid fish were “between two- and five-fold higher,” according to Dunham. While they haven’t been peer-reviewed yet, their findings have since been published in bioRxiv.

Because of the ethical concerns surrounding CRISPR technology and genetic modification, regulatory approval for these hybrid catfish isn’t a certainty. The experiment has already raised doubts among the larger scientific community as well. Some have argued that even if these hybrids are more resilient, most fish farmers don’t have a use for lab-spawned, sterile fish. And even though the hybrid species is still just a catfish, there’s also the marketing problem of selling hybridized alligator-catfish to consumers.

Dunham and Su think people could eventually come around to the idea, and Dunham explained that it’s unlikely anybody would notice a difference in the meat itself. “I would eat it in a heartbeat,” he said.
"There's no unauthorized breeding in Jurassic Park."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bet that noodling just got a lot more exciting

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This is exactly what happens when coonass’s become scientist. Gatorcats!!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Edwin264
They keep messing with chit. They need to leave it alone

I am convinced part of the violence referred to in Genesis 6 is this very thing. It is violence against God's creation.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What a shame and a lost opportunity. They could’ve crossbred the Crappy and really had something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Reminds me of Tripoid Carp..... gov. guaranteed for years that they were sterile and spread them all over the south to combat excessive plant growth in lakes. They they found hatchlings, in a tank of guaranteed sterile carp.

Dumbazz government!

Triploid fish are sterile. Period. End of discussion. I can go into all the genetic reasons why, but nobody wants to read that here.

That said, the various methods to induce triploidity are not 100% (except for one, but it’s not used for grass carp as far as I know) so once in a while a normal diploid fish will slip in. For fish sold in all western states, each fish is therefore individually checked, which involves human interpretation of the test. That has potential for failure.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like gator meat better than catfish.

Seems a step backward.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LBP
This is exactly what happens when coonass’s become scientist. Gatorcats!!

The lab is in Alabama not Louisiana!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Dumbazz government!

Triploid fish are sterile. Period. End of discussion. I can go into all the genetic reasons why, but nobody wants to read that here.

That said, the various methods to induce triploidity are not 100% (except for one, but it’s not used for grass carp as far as I know) so once in a while a normal diploid fish will slip in. For fish sold in all western states, each fish is therefore individually checked, which involves human interpretation of the test. That has potential for failure.

You got here before I could ask "Where's Dutch" laugh

Seems the preponderance of replies so far is that this is "wrong".

Yet, a few days back many on this forum were highly in favor of GMO plants for their farms and that of others?

confused confused confused

Don't worry, proponents of GMO stuff.............if this turns out to be viable, the product will be available. Might not be grown here, but there will be overseas producers ready to jump on it in a heartbeat. Anyone notice how much "catfish" is imported yearly? Hint.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 68 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,138
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.