Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articl...burrowing-robot-dig-bore-tunnels-100.htm

Interesting tech...

Looking at it from a $$$ investment perspective.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got some experience in deep drilling and in horizontal drilling.

The question I have is, will it sell to the oil and gas industry? It appears you can use it for directional drilling.

It'll boil down to drill time vs expense. If the petro industry can drill faster, cheaper, then it should be an easy sell, IF it can be used with current drilling rigs without too much adaptation. You need a specialized rig, it may be awhile before it comes mainstream in the industry.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$100 your first week

45 every week, Fridays they have a raffle for the new LG wit da camra

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like it. Supposedly it is nearly a three times faster method of drilling.
Base concept it heats and weakens the surface of the material being cut as it goes.
I have some questions about the power source system needed.

A guy I do some investments with just brought it up to me some weeks back. I’m pretty much to the point of jumping in but haven’t yet.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Osky
I like it. Supposedly it is nearly a three times faster method of drilling.
Base concept it heats and weakens the surface of the material being cut as it goes.
I have some questions about the power source system needed.

A guy I do some investments with just brought it up to me some weeks back. I’m pretty much to the point of jumping in but haven’t yet.

Let me know by PM how you make that play... Kinda there myself. Thanks.

The current US grid is a mess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot more to drilling a hole than just the bit. They spoke of CwD and that is a proven technology, but you need a much bigger rig to drill and case at the same time. Plus they keep referring to drilling to deeper depths. I wonder if this plasma drill bit will be able to withstand the temps at these depths. I haven't been the business for many years, but to my knowledge CwD has only been used in shallow holes.

The vid shows a workover rig and implies they can use this rig to drill to these 'deep depths'. That's just advertising. When you need a rig that can handle over a million lbs, you need some serious iron.

But, back in the day, we use to laugh and hate running what we called 'pac bits', that Reed was developing. Now these types of bits are commonly used and drill faster and longer than the old tri-cone bits. You just never know what will work and what won't, unless you give it a try.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't address the needs & nuances of drilling with a plasma torch, but I've done a lot of work in thermal coatings applications with plasma.

The heat generated is derived from an ionization (actually knocking an atom or 2, depending on gas used, off a molecule) of an inert gas, like Argon or Nitrogen, via a DC current passed between 2 electrodes with the gas present in a controlled 7 directed vortex or channeled manner.

As a result, the actual internal heat enthalpy inside the torch (gun) is around 20K F, & just external of the torch (doing the work) is around 4500-5000 F.

It would take a pretty big DC source & really long cables with a lot of loss over that kind of distance...........just practical problems that have to be solved.

Interesting concept though.

MM

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The taconite mines here in MN did that for decades, they switched back to plain old rotors drills with new and improved cutting heads.

What the found with the plasma boring was inconsistent holes, the bore holes looked like a tree with branches, causing their blast patters to be inconsistent.

Now that was back in the 70-80s so Duno if things have changed and Plasma can now drill a perfect cylinder type hole

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.