Print Thread
Hop To
O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I bought a little Savage b mag .17 wsm to use as another truck gun maybe 2 years ago. Scoped it with. leupold. Sighted it on the range and in calm conditions it would shoot 5 straight in a playing card at exactly 220 yards no problem. Did it a number of times just to stretch the gun. Gun was benched of course. I was very pleased.

Suddenly after last coyote run it has lost accuracy. I have tried changing scopes 3 times. It’s not that. I have always cleaned and kept up with the barrel maint. I have tried different boxes and manufacturer of shells.
Yesterday I tried different manufacturers rounds and another new Leupy in my indoor range. Zero wind, temp, or other variables. At 40 yards I could not get a 3/4” group. Indoor bench and sand bags and tried the lead sled even.
Total rounds thru this gun are well below 300.

Have any of you lost accuracy in a rifle in this way?
I own and have owned a lot of shooters in 50 years, this is a first. Input?

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
BP-B6

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Perhaps a bedding issue! Are you certain that the scope base is very secure? This is we’re I would start looking! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by memtb
Perhaps a bedding issue! Are you certain that the scope base is very secure? This is we’re I would start looking! memtb

Yes last night particularly inside on the short range I was comfortable and careful. Bases on up were all good.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Osky

Yes last night particularly inside on the short range I was comfortable and careful. Bases on up were all good.

Osky
Any chance the crown got dinged?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky
Any chance the crown got dinged?

Can’t find any sign of it. Took it out this warmer afternoon up here and on the 50 yard range I cannot beat a 1” group. And always one flyer. Afraid this is going to become a giveaway gun.

Osky

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you put a bipod or anything on it that wasn’t there before? I’ve seen times like bipods go on cheaper synthetic stocks and throw crap all off.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
PM sent. He has several other videos. Seems you may have same issue.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Osky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Hudge
Did you put a bipod or anything on it that wasn’t there before? I’ve seen times like bipods go on cheaper synthetic stocks and throw crap all off.

No, same little gun barebones as bought except the scope. I’ve never heard of anything like this short of what’s mentioned Above and been checked, or a shot out barrel.
Thought others may have experienced it.

On the other side of the spectrum yesterday I ran a new Ruger American .223 thru a couple boxes of Hornady 53gr ammo and the 4 shot groups were incredibly tight at 100 yards. What a shooter at that price.

Some good some bad I guess. Thanks guys.

Osky

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bought a couple when they were going cheap ($179 IIRC). Stock sucked, no matter what I did to try and bed it I always ended up with really random groups.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Osky,

Not being a dick, but it’s pretty well known the Bmag is junk. Savage did a nice job on their model 93R’s in 17 HMR. The Bmag was a huge miss.

With that said. Most 17 WSM’s will lack the ability to drive consistent knotholes. Ammo could be a contributing factor.

Your situation sounds strange though, I admit.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a 17 that would go sideways after about 25 rounds due to copper build up in that little bore. It was a Marlin and this was probably 15 years ago. Accuracy came right back after a copper-stripping cleaning.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I suspect a good bore scope will provide the answer to where things are going wrong.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
PM sent. He has several other videos. Seems you may have same issue.

I like CD. He is a mechanical thinker and always beds his rifles. I remember watching that video 7 years ago when it came out. The reason I was watching it was because my buddy had bought one of the B-mag's. He had issues with the stock, so he sent it back. Savage is always cool with him, and they wanted to make him happy and traded him out to a heavier barrel B-mag. The gun still didn't shoot well, so I glass bedded the flimsy as hell stock for him and that helped quite a bit. There really isn't much you can do with them, except do like cave dweller did and put them in a Boyds. The rifle is not worth the trouble IMHO. The cheap stock is the main issue with these and I'm sure that is what the OP is having issues with. Torque on the action screws really affects these rifles too. Here's a follow up to the video you posted:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.