Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I spread the word around at the gunshow this Saturday and one of the guys had stopped using Unique, he had a 1# and an 8#. I took the 1#, he sold it to me for $25.00 and I was more than happy to get it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If anyone is near West Point Lake in GA and needs a pound of Unique. I have one. I just never used it. I am sure we can find something to trade.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I consider Universal interchangeable.
Not exactly, but close enough in my handgun/shotgun uses.

No idea in cast rifle use.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This morning, I loaded up 100 .44 Mag Starline brass with a hardcast 240 grain LSWC bullet and a stiff charge of my dwindling supply of Unique. Almost felt guilty.

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I consider Universal interchangeable.
Not exactly, but close enough in my handgun/shotgun uses.

No idea in cast rifle use.

More position sensitive

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
This morning, I loaded up 100 .44 Mag Starline brass with a hardcast 240 grain LSWC bullet and a stiff charge of my dwindling supply of Unique. Almost felt guilty.

For me, a bottle of "rare" Unique is more valuable than a bottle of rare wine or brandy.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's been out of stock everywhere here locally. I finally found an 8# jug of Longshot which works pretty well in both the 9mm and 44 Mag which are the only 2 pistol cartridges I reload now. I'll probably just keep using it if I can build up a stock of it.

I picked up a 22 adapter kit for the pistol I shoot the most and having been shooting that a bunch lately. Damn thing is more reliable than my 22/45 with the same ammo. I'd be out of pistol primers by summertime otherwise.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Since Unique seems to have become unobtanium what are you using in its absence ?

I'm no chemist

But Universal is side x side with Unique

I use Universal in a lot of stuff

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2023-burn-rate-chart.pdf

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Where are you finding Universal?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by WTM45
Where are you finding Universal?

Powder Valley some time ago

Along with the jug I previously had

Good stuff

Titegroup used much too

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
No idea. I got enough to last four lifetimes if I were a young man, which I ain't. Last time I bought unique it was $84.00 for an 8 pounder.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hoarding components for future use. Very American.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've been substituting Universal for Unique for a long time for pistol loads (and Clays for Bullseye), because I stopped shotgunning and was left with scads of those powders. The several pounds of Unique (and Bullseye) get dipped into from time to time but not like as if I relied solely on them, and I may never have to actually seek out further alternatives.

Of course all that's a moot point because of the primer situation. You can have all the powder known to mankind but without primers you're screwed. My "lifetime" supply of primers, as judged two years ago, may not actually be a lifetime supply as my pistol shooting (and rifle shooting that requires pistol primers) ticked up dramatically since then...

Is Universal bulky like Unique gnohhh?

My 223s have just burnt up a pound of Unique in the past 4 months or so.... 750+ rounds out of a pound of it...

I/m not getting low, but want to stock up on an alternative, if the day comes that the democRATS stay in office the next election..

figure my shooting life has about one or two more administrations left in it... so I have a lot of rifle barrels and bullets to shoot up before that day comes...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
No idea. I got enough to last four lifetimes if I were a young man, which I ain't. Last time I bought unique it was $84.00 for an 8 pounder.

I'll give ya $85 for a couple of them... EACH... talking the 8 pounders... smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
When I was running low on Unique a few years ago I tried AM Select, e3, and a few other powders primarily reloading 38 Special with cast bullets. I have Unique now, but I am still loading American Select in it's place.
I have discovered that most shotgun and non magnum handgun powder will work reasonably well in the non magnum cartridges that I reload. ( The ones I load the most of: 38 Special, 45acp & 45GAP) Note: I do not load 9mm.
I worked with the 45GAP a couple years ago. I worked up loads for it using pretty much every available non magnum handgun powder as well as pretty much every shotgun powder I could lay hands on. I was not impressed with HS6 or 800X. All the rest performed reasonably well. I was pretty surprised at how many powders performed well during my testing.

Bob R

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've stocked up with reloading components in the 'good years'

Have plenty to use now with the high priced shortages

Never considered it hoarding

Do the same with food & other necessary items

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've been substituting Universal for Unique for a long time for pistol loads (and Clays for Bullseye), because I stopped shotgunning and was left with scads of those powders. The several pounds of Unique (and Bullseye) get dipped into from time to time but not like as if I relied solely on them, and I may never have to actually seek out further alternatives.

Of course all that's a moot point because of the primer situation. You can have all the powder known to mankind but without primers you're screwed. My "lifetime" supply of primers, as judged two years ago, may not actually be a lifetime supply as my pistol shooting (and rifle shooting that requires pistol primers) ticked up dramatically since then...

Is Universal bulky like Unique gnohhh?

My 223s have just burnt up a pound of Unique in the past 4 months or so.... 750+ rounds out of a pound of it...

I/m not getting low, but want to stock up on an alternative, if the day comes that the democRATS stay in office the next election..

figure my shooting life has about one or two more administrations left in it... so I have a lot of rifle barrels and bullets to shoot up before that day comes...

Bulkiness is similar, possibly a little finer than Unique. I'd have to dig the two out and compare, and I'm not home and likely to forget when I do get home!

Could all be a moot point as I heard that the overseas manufacture of the Clays-series of powders is on hiatus for a while into the future. Anyone have the definitive skinny on that or is it yet another Internet fallacy?

When taking a physical inventory of my powder I discovered my stash of Clays isn't as healthy as I thought it was, Universal Clays is sufficient though. No biggie, I have a lot more of Bullseye than I thought I had, and the Unique jugs still gather dust. If push comes to shove there's the keg of Red Dot waiting in the wings. My stash of SP primers will be exhausted before the Clays/B'eye/Red Dot is used up - 10,000 isn't all that many, and they're used to feed an assortment of .22 Hornets too in addition to the handguns. LP primers on the other hand will see me through 'til the Second Coming.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have some Unique, but have tried HS6 in my .38 loads. Works fine for my use. But I have been picking up some small pistol primers from time to time. Got some at Sportsman's at a reasonable price but 200 or 2 bx was the limit. Never got back .. They are showing up.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am at the point where I have literally multi thousands of my handgun loads already loaded. .38, .357, .44 Mag and .45 Colt. I have components on hand to load as many more. I don't shoot that much these days. "Running out" is not in my future, particularly at my advanced age.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut
I've stocked up with reloading components in the 'good years'

Have plenty to use now with the high priced shortages

Never considered it hoarding

Do the same with food & other necessary items

Hoping you can define "woman".

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.