Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The internet has made the world a smaller place. Easy to access things, including hunting tags. Imagine applying with a form in an envelope. Also, the adventures are shared on platforms like YouTube. No secret what awaits the hunter on the other side of the country.

I waited 50 years to go Elk hunting and my biggest regret is not going sooner. It will only get more expensive and harder to get tags.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
The internet has made the world a smaller place. Easy to access things, including hunting tags. Imagine applying with a form in an envelope. Also, the adventures are shared on platforms like YouTube. No secret what awaits the hunter on the other side of the country.

I waited 50 years to go Elk hunting and my biggest regret is not going sooner. It will only get more expensive and harder to get tags.

Ah but a secret does await most guys that watch YouTube and “E scout” before heading out west. That secret is that many if not most of them will never see let alone kill an elk on that trip. That’s likely part of the reason for acting like idiots in some cases. Desperation.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you are a non-resident, keep your old truck 2 more years and hire a quality outfitter.

My choice: https://www.trophymountainoutfitters.com/

Dustin at work,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

And placing a cashiers check with the form. Depending on where and for what species you could have between 3 to 7 thousand dollars in play for 6mo

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I imagine most of us could afford that if we drove that old vehicle for 2 more years, skipped the latest neat gun/scope and drank at home.

I've done 4 once in a lifetime hunts. All were expensive and worth every dime.

My sacrifice is driving a 18 year old 911.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'monarch' references the number of points.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm surprised more people don't look into Elk hunting West Texas, free range Elk, no draw, no Elk lic. Required, only over the counter Texas Hunting lic. there's some good outfitters in that area, and no crowds, hunting private land, whats not to like?? I know it's not the Rocky Mountains, but it's rough as hell, with some steep mountains, Plus some places have free range Exotics and other critters you can hunt. Rio7

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Do you have any recommendations RIO? Sounds pretty cool.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by RIO7
I'm surprised more people don't look into Elk hunting West Texas, free range Elk, no draw, no Elk lic. Required, only over the counter Texas Hunting lic. there's some good outfitters in that area, and no crowds, hunting private land, whats not to like?? I know it's not the Rocky Mountains, but it's rough as hell, with some steep mountains, Plus some places have free range Exotics and other critters you can hunt. Rio7

Absolutely. It’s definitely the sleeper. Not cheap but nothing is. Bubba Glossen I believe has some good country leased by the observatory. They kill a bunch of elk on the Longfellow. High west kills some bulls. Some big bulls on the 06. Wildlife systems offers hunts. Elk range from van horn to Marathon in pockets. Seems like bigger bulls come from the Davis mountains proper.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Kaleb, You might try Mulie Mike he posts here and has a good reputation, look him up. Rio7

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thank you

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Didn't know about them honestly!

Why doesn't Texas manage elk like the other states?

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs

Here is one of the places in Texas. https://harvardhotelandlodge.com/elk/
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/S_u1TRvNYWc

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Might be that there hasn't been a recorded native population? Only speculation.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heeler

Some history on Texas elk
https://www.depts.ttu.edu/nsrl/mamm...ounts_Artiodactyla/Cervus_canadensis.php

https://pitchstonewaters.com/are-elk-native-to-texas-yes/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Texas considers Elk a non- native Species, Elk, are not controlled by the TPW They can be hunted year around just like Exotics, or Predators, by anyone with a Valid Hunting license, But their are still as big and as bullet proof as the Rocky Mountain Elk. Rio7

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Originally Posted by Heeler

Some history on Texas elk
https://www.depts.ttu.edu/nsrl/mamm...ounts_Artiodactyla/Cervus_canadensis.php

https://pitchstonewaters.com/are-elk-native-to-texas-yes/

Thank you. Interesting read.

He went over yonder way
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Texas considers Elk a non- native Species, Elk, are not controlled by the TPW They can be hunted year around just like Exotics, or Predators, by anyone with a Valid Hunting license, But their are still as big and as bullet proof as the Rocky Mountain Elk. Rio7

That’s pretty interesting. Thanks Rio.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Check YouTube for Texas elk. I think I saw an outfitter hunt on there. I bet there is a lot more.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
All this talk about Texas elk is lies!!! Don’t google it you’ll get a virus on your computer. Everything here is high fence and bottle raised and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to shoot. Don’t come to Texas for hunting!!!! You’ll be sorry, turn back now. 😂

Last edited by LBP; 02/08/23.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.