Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Rut just started for us a few days ago and we have 12 days left for the season.

These 2 were shot about 5 minutes apart Friday afternoon. The guy who shot the one on the left also shot one Thursday.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A couple more pics of the one on the right up top. I shot him with a .308 Hornady Interlock 150 gn at around 50yds and the bullet was between the offside shoulder and hide. It was drt + p, he literally folded up!

Credit for this pic goes to the oldest active member in my new club at the age of 76. He was the first one there to help me out and the coolest dude I've ever had the chance to hunt with.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very nice

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats. Interesting how the rut in Alabama is in January and right across the Chattahoochee River in Georgia its in November. I used to hunt both sides of the river when i was stationed at Ft. Benning Ga. That was back in the 70's. It was nice to be able to hunt two ruts within a short driving distance. I sure do miss hunting there. Lotta good memories.
Thanks for posting your pics.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like a good time!

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesomeness

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty cool to be chasing them this time of year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice - congrats. When does your season start? You are lucky to still be able to hunt. Ours goes first Saturday of Nov to first Sat of Jan. and I thought we had it good.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Nice - congrats. When does your season start? You are lucky to still be able to hunt. Ours goes first Saturday of Nov to first Sat of Jan. and I thought we had it good.

Our bow season starts Oct. 15 and gun season starts the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Season ends on February 10. There is also youth gun which is two weeks prior to regular gun, and muzzleloader which is the week immediately before gun season.

This isn't the whole state though. Some areas end on Jan. 31. It's a long season, almost 4 months, with a good portion of the state still in the rut into February.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
man that is great for you guys. I think Bow here starts Oct 1. Our muzzleloader season is open for two weeks starting directly after rifle season. Our youth season starts first of October and ends when rifle season begins.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
One of our members shot a buck last week that was chasing a doe but our peak rut is supposedly around Jan 9th according to the biologists. Walking to my stand on Saturday I saw a lot of tracks from running deer on, and across the trail so it seems to be a little later this year.

Today is our last day and I’ll be out this afternoon.

Last edited by navlav8r; 01/31/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hunting season in my area , for private land started November 19 and runs thru the 10th of February . I had scrapes in early December and killed a nice buck on the 26th of December that was rutting. Rut is as it's always been here and in my part of Tennessee as well , off and on depending on the weather. They can be freshening the scrapes daily one week and it turns warm and they stop. Next few days if it gets in the 40's or colder they start again. As of this time last week I have not seen any new scrapes or found any that were active two weeks ago that have been used recently. That said , it's cold (35) today and I haven't hunted or checked in the last two days so it could be on again. As long as I can remember it's always been that way in North Alabama and Middle Tennessee. Tennessee season also started on the 19th of November but is a split season and the second half ended the first Friday of January if I remember correctly.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very well done! My brother lives in Alabama. I need him to join a club with guest privledges! laugh I could see myself doing so in the future as a way of extending deer season. It's not that far of a drive.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
North Alabama…I killed one Saturday that came in on a string, down wind of some heat scent I put out….crossed 600 yards of open field about sundown. I’ve been watching the does run from bucks lately, whether the bucks were chasing or not. They’ve still got them stirred up, for sure.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/06/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should extend my season with a Alabama hunt!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Rut just started for us a few days ago and we have 12 days left for the season.

Credit for this pic goes to the oldest active member in my new club at the age of 76. He was the first one there to help me out and the coolest dude I've ever had the chance to hunt with.

Never met the old guy obviously, but I would love to make a hunt with him!

What part of Alabama?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just got ramped up down in my neck of the woods.Mature bucks started showing up in the daytime 1-2 weeks ago.Seems like we catch a lot of flack from hunters that think the season is too long,and it does put a lot of pressure on the herd.But until they gave us the 10 days in February,closing the season before the rut actually kicked in really sucked in SE Bama…

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Simplepeddler, We are in south-central Alabama, due south of Montgomery.

Bull64, Our club killed quite a few bucks in February last year. We had a couple good ones killed this past weekend too. I used to hunt maybe 40 mi. west of where I am now, and it was always over in January.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes,depending on where you are peak rut times in Bama can vary quite a bit. I hunt in Dale county,west of Dothan and the extension into February was like a gift for a kid at Christmas…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Simplepeddler, We are in south-central Alabama, due south of Montgomery.

Bull64, Our club killed quite a few bucks in February last year. We had a couple good ones killed this past weekend too. I used to hunt maybe 40 mi. west of where I am now, and it was always over in January.
I’m in Lowndes County just northwest of Greenville. On our lease they were moving good from Jan 20-28. Not much seen after that. Thats a bit earlier than normal. Guys we know hunting around the area thought it was early as well.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.