Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Going to glue a pachmayr decelerator on a bansner stock and wondering what glue or epoxy everyone is using for such a job.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Acra-Glass has worked as well as anything in the past. That said, I typically cut/sand a wood block that I epoxy into the stock cavity, and then screw the recoil pad to that. Yes, it adds a tad bit of weight, but makes future LOP changes a little easier.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try Gorilla glue.. I've used it on some things I never thought it would work on and it worked perfectly. Worst that can happen is it falls off and you try something else... wink

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hopefully the kid will weigh in. I believe he said he usually used a superglue with great success.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
10 minute epoxy is what I use, painter tape to hold it in place till it dries

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sand the end of the stock and the end of the pad flat, neither will be from the factory. Cut two 3/16” dowels about 2” long and sharpen one end. Put the dowels in the screw holes in the pad and push it into place on the end of the stock, the dowels will sink into the foam. Pull the pad off and use your thumb to push the dowels down into the foam until 1/4-3/8” is sticking up. These will keep the pad from slipping when you pull the tubing tight to hold everything in place while the glue dries.

Put a good amount of Loctite 416 on the pad and a little on the shell of the stock. Don’t dally around as it starts to set quickly. Using the dowels to locate the pad gently push it into place. Put a screwdriver or rod of some kind through the rear action screw hole and wrap surgical tubing around it and the pad to hold the pad in place while the glue sets.

In an hour or two it’ll be rock hard and ready to remove the tubing and grind the pad. Since you didn’t screw it on you won’t have any slots to worry about messing up the looks of the pad. I’ve done hundreds this way and never had one fall off.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^thank you.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
Sand the end of the stock and the end of the pad flat, neither will be from the factory. Cut two 3/16” dowels about 2” long and sharpen one end. Put the dowels in the screw holes in the pad and push it into place on the end of the stock, the dowels will sink into the foam. Pull the pad off and use your thumb to push the dowels down into the foam until 1/4-3/8” is sticking up. These will keep the pad from slipping when you pull the tubing tight to hold everything in place while the glue dries.

Put a good amount of Loctite 416 on the pad and a little on the shell of the stock. Don’t dally around as it starts to set quickly. Using the dowels to locate the pad gently push it into place. Put a screwdriver or rod of some kind through the rear action screw hole and wrap surgical tubing around it and the pad to hold the pad in place while the glue sets.

In an hour or two it’ll be rock hard and ready to remove the tubing and grind the pad. Since you didn’t screw it on you won’t have any slots to worry about messing up the looks of the pad. I’ve done hundreds this way and never had one fall off.

Thank you. Lots of good ideas here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very useful. I can't ever seem to keep the pad from slipping after I smear the 416 everywhere. Thanks much.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd like to kick the ass of whoever works for mcmillan that glues these pads on!!!! Maybe you guys should ask them what they glue their pads on with.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's a reason why that pad is still black and not red. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'd like to kick the ass of whoever works for mcmillan that glues these pads on!!!! Maybe you guys should ask them what they glue their pads on with.

That's one helluva shooting bench !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's one helluva shooting bench !

Yeah, I'd love it if Mcmillan came and glued a nice soft cushion on the steel seat though. It gets mighty cold in the winter time!!! If they glued a seat on that sob, it would never come off!!!

I was shooting when it was 18 degrees the other day. But, yes, the benches are well made. 1" steel tops and very solid..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
And at 18 degrees it would bring true meaning to freezing your ass off.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use the clear 2 part Gorilla epoxy/glue.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Done quite a few stocks over the last 50 years and never found a reason to glue a pad on.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
With a bolt rifle stock I can’t think of a good reason not to glue one on. On wood it helps seal the end grain if the proper glue is used. And I generally painted synthetics after the pad was glued on a ground, gives a perfect finish every time if your masking is done properly.
Also does away with the screw cuts in the face of the pad that can get buggered when installing, on synthetic stocks anyway. Plus you aren’t adding unnecessary weight to your blank by gluing a chunk of wood into it.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
TheKid, I appreciate the tips. Picked up the dowels and ordered the Loctite 416 yesterday. Do you remove any foam around the edges of the stock to expose more surface area of the shell for the glue to adhere to?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
mikestaten,

In answer to your question, that’s what I do. Use a dremel tool to hollow out about a 1/8” deep x 1/8” wide groove of the foam around the edge of the stock shell to expose more surface area for the epoxy to bond to.

I also carefully drill a few small shallow holes(1/16” deep is plenty)around the inside edge of the bottom surface of the pad base to create more surface area on the pad base for epoxy to bond to.

Important: Tightly wrap masking tape, 2 layers thick, around the bottom edge of the stock before gluing the pad on. This is invaluable for cleanup because you will get some epoxy ooze no matter how careful you are.

I use black Acra-Glas gel as the epoxy. That way the epoxy blends in with the color of the pad base and doesn’t show a glue line if your pad or stock edge isn’t perfectly flush where they meet.
I just stretch 2 pieces of blue masking tape over the pad and down the sides of the buttstock to hold the pad in place while the epoxy dries.
Use Q-tips dampened with alcohol to wipe away the majority of epoxy ooze at this point. After a couple hours the epoxy will have dried to the consistency of taffy. At this point you should be able to remove the rest of the epoxy ooze(Q-tips and alcohol again). The pad will be secure enough to not fall off but still pliable enough that small adjustments can be made to center the pad perfectly on the stock if it has slipped a little.

Let epoxy dry over night before use or final grinding of pad.

May be “over kill” but that’s the way I do it…..eliminates the need for any dowels or wood pieces in the stock.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 02/18/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.