Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm 75. The wife will come sit with me to satisfy the party hunting law when I am going to shoot deer on her license. She likes tracking and is very good at it. but she ain't much for dragging. in 2022 I managed 3 big ones. I can see the end coming though. Maybe another 4-5 years of mostly hunting alone. It's taking more and more doing it smart each year lately and less just muscle them out. I did drag a heavy one out last fall and dragged it a little better than 1/4 mile. She does make me call in when I come off the river or lake and when I am on my way back from hunting. I guess that's better than a big argument before I go out.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm 65. I've slowed down a little and am probably more cautious now but I hunt alone most of the time. Typically out of a hang on stand and I usually have 7 or 8 set-up that I use at different times during the season. I've been using the compass app on my iphone to save screenshots showing the direction I'm facing and then realized it also shows GPS coordinates. So I text my wife a screenshot of the stand I'm using in case of a mishap and that gives her some peace of mind in case I have an accident. There are probably similar apps for other phones.

I have a deer cart and can get most deer out myself but if I get a big one down I'll call one of my buddies for help.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Bill_N; 02/03/23.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Dad is 81.

Still goes by himself, always lets me know when and where. Checks in with me when done, will tell me what he saw.

Nov 29 he calls me and lets me know that he killed a big doe. I said cool, I will come help you drag it, hang it, etc...

He said "hell I already gutted and dragged, its at the processor."

Never mind then...

My dad is just a year younger than yours. The same rules apply with when where in and out as we always have.

I'd rather die in the woods while hunting than in some hospital.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I am 83.5, long time retired, and still hunt alone - Not because I want to, but because everyone is going to/at work when I want to hunt!! It's 200 yds to a creek behind our house and the deer travel up/down this creek and the 200 yrs is no problem for my .300 Win Mag.. When I kill one I climb on my tractor, ride down to the creek and pull the deer up on the bush hog and return to my cleaning sight. What use to take me 1-2 hrs now takes half a day!! I think that blooming Win Mag kicks more now than it did 25 yrs ago and I listen to my body, set the pace accordingly, and continue to enjoy my deer hunting.

Dave
Life Member NRA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bill_N
I'm 65. I've slowed down a little and am probably more cautious now but I hunt alone most of the time. Typically out of a hang on stand and I usually have 7 or 8 set-up that I use at different times during the season. I've been using the compass app on my iphone to save screenshots showing the direction I'm facing and then realized it also shows GPS coordinates. So I text my wife a screenshot of the stand I'm using in case of a mishap and that gives her some peace of mind in case I have an accident. There are probably similar apps for other phones.

I have a deer cart and can get most deer out myself but if I get a big one down I'll call one of my buddies for help.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bill, I like that idea. Mind sharing which app that is?

IC B2

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 28 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.