Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
ned Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Early results are positive and l look forward to shooting some more.

Cartridge .308 Winchester, load data from Alliant site

Distance 100 yrds
Groups are four, saving primers
Bullet 175 grain Sierra Matchking
Primer Fed210
Brass New Nosler from SPS, necked with Lee Collette

FPS/Barrel Length 20”
42 2396
42.5 2426
43 2472
43.5 lost data
44 2530

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
HR IC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
43.5 looks really nice. None are bad, but, 43.5 is great if it will repeat. I always verify any load with at least one or 2 more range trips

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How was pressure on the 44gr load?

N
ned Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by TX35W
How was pressure on the 44gr load?

Plenty of round in the primers, easy bolt lift and extract.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What rifle, ned?
Thanks - nice shooting!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What rifle, ned?
Thanks - nice shooting!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice shooting!!! Looks like you're onto something.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
N
ned Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by TRexF16
What rifle, ned?
Thanks - nice shooting!

700 Action, Lilja 3 groove, HS stock, Jewel Trigger, PT&G bottom metal, Zeiss scope 6X24.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like a good one. Be interesting to see if it’s capable of 2600 or so. The accuracy looks amazing so far.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
Looks like a good one. Be interesting to see if it’s capable of 2600 or so. The accuracy looks amazing so far.

^I'd also be interested in this.

IC B3

N
ned Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N

https://accurateshooter.net/pix/rlts155loads.pdf

Alliant claims 2600+ on the 175

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ned

https://accurateshooter.net/pix/rlts155loads.pdf

Alliant claims 2600+ on the 175

Looking great. What length of barrel did Alliant use for their testing? I did some research on this powder and some say it does not drop from a powder measure very good and most would not suggest using it in the 223 case. Is there a reason you chose this powder over RL15 or AR Comp? Can't argue about the accuracy though. Looking pretty good there, speeds seem pretty slow yet..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Very promising results THIS MORNING with the 155 Scenar in the 30-06.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 01/19/23.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Geesh....45 grains of powder for a load?

Under Biden, the most powder I've been putting in a case is 30 grains of 4198....

223 I shoot the most... its been 8.5 to 14 grains of shot gun / pistol powder...

8.5 grains of Unique in a 223, with pistol or small rifle primer, with 50, 52, 53 and 55 grain bullets ( which I shoot a lot of), given 7 inches of elevation at 100 yds, will allow me to hit a frying pan sized gong at 300 yds... crank the target turrent on top to 11 to 12 inches high at 100, will allow me to hit a large frying pan sized piece of steel at 400 yds...

its Thursday and its been rainy as hell this week, and the weeks before also...I only live 3 miles from our local range...I've found time to get over there and put 120 rounds down range this week.... mainly at the 300 & 400 yd gongs...( don't have to go out and set up a target).. this week have loaded up about 120 rounds ( really reloaded 120 rounds) do so at night in the shed, while my wife has the TV all hogged with Chick Stuff.. currently playing with 5 rifles, each in 223... practice for sage rat season starting in about 8 weeks or so...

When you can shoot 5,000 rounds or more during sage rat/ ground squirrel season, the economy of 8.5 to 14 grains of powder per shot is a lot of economical shooting... and accuracy has to be what some of the targets above in this thread are showing...

guess there is a big difference in our shooting & hunting habits are from here to back east, where I am originally from.. ( Virginia)....

spend the spring and summer shooting something the size of a small 10 ounce pop can at 200 yds, that can run like a bat out of hell and stops on a dime.. come deer season.. a deer looks like a dump truck at 300 yds... shooting those gongs at that distance, with these sort of economy loads, connecting with a flat shooting rifle, like a 243 or 260 come deer season is almost a chip shot... and 22 grains of Blue Dot will accomplish that easily.. or the same with 30 grains of 4198... 150 yd shots in the woods hunting areas, are't much of a challenge at all....

heck with the same amount of powder I am shooting out of my 6.5 Grendal, with a max charge of 30 grains.. is pretty much the same thing I do with my other deer hunting rifles...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Very interesting post Seafire but this is a thread about the use of the new Reloader 15.5 TS powder.
I'm not being a smarty-pants - your post is genuinely interesting and has a lot of merit. You ought to post it as a stand-alone thread.

I'll be loading up ten of the 54 grain charges with the 155 Scenar and see if I can repeat the nice performance above, and also do a little mini-ladder with the 165 AB. Maybe the 168 ABLR too.

Best Regards,
Rex

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
REX,

Fair enough...

but I am waiting to even find a source since RL 15.5 came out.. RL 15 has been a staple of mine for a decade plus...

I am looking to pick up a 6 Grendal ( or 6 ARC as everyone else calls it) in a bolt action.. Sportsman's Warehouse has them as an exclusive based on a Savage action.. they aren't moving real quick...they are offering them at $550 locally. bolt action of course.

RL 15. 5 is the first powder I was thinking of to try out... in my mind, it should be a perfect match for the Grendal, especially in 6mm.
but like anything from Alliant, they are usually my first choice in powder...

anything about RL 15.5 will catch my attention, as it is currently and has been the next powder I want to get to know...but has been unobtainable out in this direction.. and when I hear about some on line.. its gone in like 2 second like most other powders...

Best regards back at ya...

and apologies for anyone who thought my above post was offensive to anyone...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Seafire,
I might be concerned about the bulkiness of RL 15.5 in the 6 ARC. It is a very bulky powder. I had not thought to try it in my 6 ARC but I will give it some thought.

EDIT: AR Comp is looking very good in mine (an 18" AR) with the 103 ELD-X. I am slightly exceeding Hornady factory velocities at sub-MOA, and I have read great things about the temperature resistance of AR Comp, so I may have found my load.

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 02/09/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Very interesting post Seafire but this is a thread about the use of the new Reloader 15.5 TS powder.
I'm not being a smarty-pants - your post is genuinely interesting and has a lot of merit. You ought to post it as a stand-alone thread.

I'll be loading up ten of the 54 grain charges with the 155 Scenar and see if I can repeat the nice performance above, and also do a little mini-ladder with the 165 AB. Maybe the 168 ABLR too.

Best Regards,
Rex

To the OP and TRex, thanks for posting up results on this powder. Looks like it's doing great in your 30-06. I've been messing with a new 30-06 myself, and the LGS has plenty of RL15.5, but it's spendy. I don't know if I want to step away from the powders I have been messing with. Do you feel it is a step above a less expensive powder, like Hunter ($30/lb) or Big Game ($30/lb)? Seafire brings up a great point about cost, but to a much higher degree. He shoots a lot, like some of us do here and he's very conservative. Just wondering if RL15.5, at almost $60/pound locally, is really that much better in regards to temp stability or accuracy, to choose it over something more economical? Also, as I mentioned in a post 6 months ago. Some say RL15.5 doesn't meter well and it is bulky powder. I love RL15 and it drops well enough from my powder measure, but I understand RL15.5 is not as good through most powder measures. Almost anytime I use RL15, I know I can also use AR Comp, but reduce by 5% and check velocities. AR Comp drops very well from the uniflow and also burns real clean. Great for AR's and bolt actions alike. However, the reason I hesitate to buy the new RL15.5 is because of the damned price tag!!! Aliant is also another one of those companies that have been damn slow getting their product out to us, while also raising prices.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Brownells has it

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lawrence...

I think I would be inclined to pick up a pound.. even at that price, just to check it out...

Alliant is my favorite brand of powders, followed by IMR and then a few Winchester powders....

If Rl 15.5 is bulky, that would actually be a feature I'd like about it...

are you out of Oregon now and back in Nevada for good?

if you know where it can be purchased down that way, next time I head down that way, we can get together and you can show me where I can pick up a container of it... buying a pound of it on line, and then having to pay the higher UPS charges for hazard etc... I bet one would be looking at $100 for a pound of it before it gets to one's door step...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 77 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.