Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Has anyone actually seen any? I like to hunt with my old Winchester 37 which means 2 3/4". I'm happy with using old Winchester #6 magnums but thought I would try these if they actually exist. People think you need at least 3" to kill something so that's what they make.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winchester catalogs them loaded with #5 shot at 1300 fps.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Long-Beard-XR?compare=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%22%23STLB125%22%5D%7D

No, I've never seen them for sale in stores. MidwayUSA carries them, but they aren't in stock. Put yourself on the waitlist for them and buy them the moment you get a notice. I don't think they are all that popular for the reason you stated. But if MidwayUSA gets some people on their waitlist, they'll request some from Winchester.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018439972?pid=227786

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A box of high velocity #8's should serve you just as well and be a lot cheaper.
I normally use the 1 1/8 oz load at 1250fps. They work great.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I'm assuming 12ga?

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blairvt
Has anyone actually seen any? I like to hunt with my old Winchester 37 which means 2 3/4". I'm happy with using old Winchester #6 magnums but thought I would try these if they actually exist. People think you need at least 3" to kill something so that's what they make.

Why change if you're happy with your old duck loads of Winchester #6 magnums? I'm stilling using my old duck loads of Winchester #4's. Not reason to look for something else---I'll start looking after I use the last #4.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have never shot the 2 3/4" shells but the #6 3" shells patterned every well out of my 870

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Why change if you're happy with your old duck loads of Winchester #6 magnums? I'm stilling using my old duck loads of Winchester #4's. Not reason to look for something else---I'll start looking after I use the last #4.
probably right. Never had a problem killing them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago I used the old red hulled 2 3/4" Double XX Magnum #6's to kill a lot of birds.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For turkey we hunt the Winchester XR shells exclusively in 2 3/4 or 3" because of the results on long-range birds that hold up at the 50 yard line or so.

A couple of years back I took a Jake at a measured 66 yds yards hitting him with at least 4 pellets, breaking his wing and thigh bones 1" down from the joint at the body, with 1 pellet found in the breast and 1 in the neck. The pellet that was found in the breast cavity lodged against keel and bruised the heart!! I was amazed the way that bird dropped when he was hit.

We use the Carlson XR choke tubes or other tight tubes like the Promos "Tightwads" measuring in around .675 - .660 and seriously pattern our guns before season. The only draw backs are on closer shots where the patterns are TOO tight. When the birds are under 25 yards its best to aim for the base of the wattles so you don't shoot over top of their heads. wink

BTW the 3 1/2" shells are TOO much and a pain to pattern and shoot. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by olgrouser
For turkey we hunt the Winchester XR shells exclusively in 2 3/4 or 3" because of the results on long-range birds that hold up at the 50 yard line or so.

A couple of years back I took a Jake at a measured 66 yds yards hitting him with at least 4 pellets, breaking his wing and thigh bones 1" down from the joint at the body, with 1 pellet found in the breast and 1 in the neck. The pellet that was found in the breast cavity lodged against keel and bruised the heart!! I was amazed the way that bird dropped when he was hit.

We use the Carlson XR choke tubes or other tight tubes like the Promos "Tightwads" measuring in around .675 - .660 and seriously pattern our guns before season. The only draw backs are on closer shots where the patterns are TOO tight. When the birds are under 25 yards its best to aim for the base of the wattles so you don't shoot over top of their heads. wink

where did you find the 2 3/4"?

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've killed them at 60 yards by accident when my estimate was off. I will not INTENTIONALLY shoot one over 40ish... If I can't
get him closer, he wins... as it should be.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by olgrouser

where did you find the 2 3/4"?
See if Winchester offers a Rooster XR in the shot size you want.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
I'm assuming 12ga?

12 and 16 gauge, mostly 12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"... For turkey we hunt the Winchester XR shells exclusively in 2 3/4 or 3" because of the results on long-range birds that hold up at the 50 yard line or so. ..."

I don't understand? Turkey's don't carry laser range finders nor have the ones I've hunted been schooled on the range of various shot shells.
What is the magic of a bird "holding up at 50 yards"?

"... at least 4 pellets, breaking his wing and thigh bones 1" down from the joint at the body, with 1 pellet found in the breast and 1 in the neck. ..."

"bruised his heart"?
How about the one to the neck?
Think that may have interrupted the CNS?
Do you body shoot birds or do you aim at the head and neck?

....and what is the fascination with attempting to kill birds at extreme ranges?
I've killed two birds that had #5 shot embedded in the back of their legs. Parting shot from a hopeful hunter?

Phil Bourjaily wrote an article about ammo that allowed turkey hunters to "reliably" kill birds at 60 yards!
I wonder how many hunters bought the "magic" ammo and lost birds they shot at out of range?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"where did you find the 2 3/4"?"

We had a steady supply of XR shotshells available at CT up here north of the border.

MS, you like ask to questions. Some denoting disbelief, some mocking, others sarcastic in tone.

I will try to entertain your queries. I was frustrated with this turkey and took an instinctive shot at the red head of a bird as he was trying to sneak across a gas easement from hardwoods to the roosting area in the pines. I spent a morning calling, poorly as usual, and the only response I heard was a shock gooble from a bird down in the hollow by a creek about 100 yrs away when a low flying plane flew overhead. I had stood up to leave in the blind, stretching getting ready to pack it in when I saw the bird and he made me. I shot!! The jake dropped at the report.

A few weeks before I shot the boss tom from the same blind with XR shot at 17 paces. Very tight pattern, maybe even TOO tight at that range. Photo credits to the land owner:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yes, I too have recovered birds with old shot healed over and embedded in the legs and bodies of birds. Stuff happens.

Don't know where you hail from, but in Ontario the 1 1/8th # 8 skeet loads you recommend are available but deemed illegal by the MNR for the ethical harvesting of turkeys. Just saying...

Cheers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"... MS, you like ask to questions. Some denoting disbelief, some mocking, others sarcastic in tone.

Yes, I too have recovered birds with old shot healed over and embedded in the legs and bodies of birds. Stuff happens.

Don't know where you hail from, but in Ontario the 1 1/8th # 8 skeet loads you recommend are available but deemed illegal by the MNR for the ethical harvesting of turkeys. Just saying...

Cheers! ...:

Yeah, that was a bit sarcastic. But by that same token, I have been treated sarcastically for my beliefs in turkey ammo.

Let me back up a bit.
As a young man back in the mid 70's, I did quite a bit of duck hunting with a group. Everybody was shooting #4's.
That's when Remington came out with their "Nitro-Mag" ammo with the shot buffer.
I have no idea how many ducks I shot at, heard the shot hit the duck and the duck kept flying. They may have died somewhere in their flight pattern or at roost days later.
I was getting really frustrated.
I talked to my dad one day and told him what was going on. He told me to try some high velocity #9's!
What the heck! I didn't have anything to lose!
The next hunting trip, I made shots I couldn't believe and ended up top hunter of the day.
Of course, the guys laughed at me and my "high velocity #9's", but I kicked their butts and their Rem Nitro Mag #4's with buffer! 😉

Later, a gunsmith laughed and told me. "Pattetn density kills, not shot size!"
Regardless of shot size, the more shot you put "on target" improves the chances of a mortal pellet strike.

When I started turkey hunting twenty years ago, I brought the #8 shot theory with me.
It hasn't failed me yet.

I gave up on that "poke and hope" shooting method you mentioned. If I can't get a bird within "range", 40 yards max just like somebody else mentioned above, the turkey wins!
That's why it's called "hunting", not "killing"! 😉

I don't live in "Trudeauville", so I'm totally oblivious of Canadian rules and regs! 😐
In Oklahoma, you don't have to use nontoxic shot. You can't use a rifle in spring and you can't use shot bigger than #2's or a gun bigger than a 10 gauge.
You can even use a .410 if you wish! 😉👍

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 02/13/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All good. Never got done to OK myself but would like to see that state.

The understanding you stated, "Pattern density kills, not shot size" is one I adhere to in upland bird hunting for woodcock and grouse. Too, I'm inclined to use smaller shot for density in turkey loads for the very reason stated. But our regs reads: "Shotgun not larger than 10 gauge or smaller than 20 gauge, using shot size of 4, 5, 6 or 7."

As far as our respective political leaders go and their policies regarding rules, regs and firearms are concerned I'm gonna bite my tongue and keep my head down because I may have more to lose than to gain by voicing my strong opposition.

But to stay focused to the OP - I think 2 3/4 XR shot in # 6s are a game changer, I just wish Winchester would produce some in #7 loads.

Cheers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How far will a lead #8 pellet break a turkey vertebrae or skull?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
How far will a lead #8 pellet break a turkey vertebrae or skull?

Glad you asked that question.

https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/16/beyond-the-patterning-board-x-rays-of-shot-turkey-headnecks/

I wrote this article for "charlieelk.com", unfortunately, that site is now defunct.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of my dads has a 2 3/4 inch gun and was having trouble finding "turkey loads" for it. I got him a box of 2 3/4" Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loaded with 5 shot. Kills them deader than hell. Best part is that those are 25 per box

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
614 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.