Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just sighted in my first Tikka T1x. Talk about easy. 5 Mini Mag HP under 3/4in at 50 yds. Burris 3-9 Rimfire scope. It would probably do better in the hands of a better shooter. I doubt any 10y/o would lust for anything nicer. Most would rather bang away with a 10-22 on reactive targets. To each his own, but we may be overthinking this. For that matter, a Ruger American and a bunch of ammo would make anyone a good father/son day.

Just got home and measured the group from the Tikka. 5 Mini Mags right at 1/2 inch at 50 yards. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised.

Last edited by WMR; 02/08/23.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwill350
Originally Posted by hitman
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I’ve had sporter 40X, sporter 52 Win, Annie and Cooper.

The Cooper will shoot with the best of them and it’s the one still in the safe. Don’t think they make a youth model and don’t think I’d cut one down.

DF

Coopers shoot no doubt. I didnt add it to the list because im not sure you could pick one up for 1k or less. Anything is possible though

I have a couple of Cooper 57m's. I haven't seen one less than 1400 in a long time. And, I don't think I would cut one down.
I’ve had mine for a number of years, haven’t priced one lately.

DF

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by WMR
Just sighted in my first Tikka T1x. Talk about easy. 5 Mini Mag HP under 3/4in at 50 yds. Burris 3-9 Rimfire scope. It would probably do better in the hands of a better shooter. I doubt any 10y/o would lust for anything nicer. Most would rather bang away with a 10-22 on reactive targets. To each his own, but we may be overthinking this. For that matter, a Ruger American and a bunch of ammo would make anyone a good father/son day.

Tikka T1x is a fine 22,maybe the best bang for the buck. However the young man wants a high quality WOOD rifle and has saved his money to buy one. I admire the young fella for this especially in todays world. Its out there. Keep eye on Rimfire Central classifieds. Itl turn up. In mean time keep savin

BTW- As far as you doubting a ten year old lusting after nice rifles goes. Im glad theres still a few out there! Gives me hope

Last edited by hitman; 02/08/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much as I like older stuff (go figger!) I’d recommend going with something currently in production so magazines and other accessories aren’t a challenge. In addition, while I know they grow fast, a full-sized rifle is a bit of a handful for someone small in stature and might cause some unnecessary issues. I can still picture my son at 13 with a 9 1/2 pound M70 slung over his shoulder trying to unlimber it to shoot a deer. He got it done, but Dad had some anxious moments while he got lined up.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by hitman
Originally Posted by WMR

Tikka T1x is a fine 22,maybe the best bang for the buck. However the young man wants a high quality WOOD rifle and has saved his money to buy one. I admire the young fella for this especially in todays world. Its out there. Keep eye on Rimfire Central classifieds. Itl turn up. In mean time keep savin

BTW- As far as you doubting a ten year old lusting after nice rifles goes. Im glad theres still a few out there! Gives me hope

Thanks for understanding. He's a good kid. He has worked hard at saving. I was glad and just a little suprised when he wanted to spend it on a "nice" .22. Most of my guns have synthetic stocks but I have one or two shotguns and two rimfires with some decent wood and he wants to buy his own. Badly!

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Good Stuff! The Search is the best part! Keep us posted

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jwill350
I need some help on higher quality youth .22 options. My 10 year old has been saving his money and he is ready to step up. We are looking for a bolt action and a wood stock would be a plus. I'd like to keep it under $1000. I'm going to help him with the money. Ha.

Might help narrow down options based on what he is looking use it for.

Is this a walking around gun or only for bench work?

Does he want maximum accuracy potential, single shot, repeater...etc.

I shoot a few decent 22s in all flavors but a Kimber Sporter and an Annie 54 super match are very different animals.

Mostly heavyweights here with a few sporters and classic in the mix

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Walking around, sporter style. Sorry I should have made that clear.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having owned both the Anschutz and Kimber of Oregon I will say that the fit and finish of the Anschutz was deplorable in comparison, in particular the Mickey Mouse stock inletting. Ugh! No comparison. Though they both shot lights out.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my friends has Kimber & CZ rimfires. Another has a Tikka T1x & a Sako Quad. I’ve shot them all & found them to be excellent rifles.

I’m a bit odd in that I’m right-handed but shoot left. So my selection can sometimes be limited. I found a couple of really nice pristine Browning LH T-Bolts at what I thought were good prices & I’ve been pleased with my purchases. I have a 22 LR in a Sporter & a .17 HMR in a Target / Varmint. The .17 HMR came in like-new condition with 5 rotary magazines, scope rings & a $250 AO scope for $799 on GunBroker. It’s extremely accurate. The Sporter is very lightweight & slender. I think it would work well for a youth. It’s easy to carry for hours. I’m sure RH versions of these rifles are even easier to find.

During deer season, I brought the Sporter along with my 6.5 Swede to do a little plinking for squirrels around the cabin. It’s a fun rifle to shoot.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by odonata; 02/09/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is a nice Voere bolt action .22 LR in the used gun rack at the Cabela's in LaVista, NE. 402-861-4800

I don't remember the model or price, but I think that it was around $600.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.