Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have called tons of Texas coyote and bobcats and now live in Northern New Mexico. I am interested in trying for black bear and cougar. I have a Fox Pro and various mouth calls.

I would like to hear from any of you who have called a bear. Calls used, set-ups that worked, how long it takes a bear or cougar to come in, and any tips or information you are willing to share.

Thanks

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have called in a few bears. I was just using a rabbit distress call from CIRCE. Had 2 coming at once from different directions once. I could hear sticks snapping and rocks being moved. Ended up taking a cinnamon colored one. I did this in Northern AZ.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think fireball has posted before about successfully calling in black bear in OR.

MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Black bears call very easy. Can’t fool their nose but they have terrible eye sight. Use that to your advantage. I’ve called them with a rabbit call out hiking standing still in the wide open.
Cougars are also extremely callable but not a simple task. Look up rainshadow for lots of valuable information. Took me many years before getting the cougar off my list. Calling cougars has turned into an addiction for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes it works quite well. Just about any distress call can be effective

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Grizzlies come in quite readily as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read an article many, many years ago. The author was talking about game calls.
He had taken a couple of brothers bear hunting and they weren't having much success.
One of the brothers saw a bear and began making "squeaking mouse" sounds.
It wasn't long before the bear came onto range and he bagged it.
The callers name was Johnny Stewart.
Anybody remember Johnny Stewart game calls?
His electronic calls were awesome! They were also heavy and cumbersome.
They ran on D cell batteries and played 45rpm records!
Run one very long and you'd need another 10 pounds of D cells! LOL!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes I've called in a few . My best advice is to get Wayne Carlton's bear call and accompanying video instructions and follow them to the letter. The only thing I've seen that works exactly as advertised.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have on several occasions. Sometimes with a mouth blown call and sometimes with my own voice, making sounds like a wounded animal. It can work and is quite exciting.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never when I was trying for a bear but a handful of times when calling something else. All but two times I was using a "jackrabbit" call which was a little raspier than a "cottontail" call. One time was with a fawn bleat used to make distress calls to fill doe tags.

The last episode was using a blade of grass on a bear cutting across a buddy's field one spring afternoon. The bear stopped and began to amble in our direction. I decided to stop and wave off the bruin when the bear was about 50 yards from us. I remembered all we had on hand was my carry pistol and I am no Phil Shoemaker.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Grizzlies come in quite readily as well.

😳

Not sure it’s a good idea to disappoint a grizzly……..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the responses. As far as I know, we don't have grizzlies. Yes, I have used those 45 record calls and worn out quite a few of Johnny Stewart's cassette tapes. Have had owls try to fly off with my tape players. I have also had bobcats in my lap when blowing mouth calls. Sounds like I should leave the 220 Swift and the mouth calls in the safe and take something larger when I go calling around here.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i have not saved any money trying to call in a mt lion. i have specifically called for lion for the last 6 years. i could have had 10 run up a tree for the time and money spent.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I called one in with a cow elk call once. Heard something that sounded like a bull thrashing a tree.

Gave a few chirps, the sound stopped, and there he was, coming straight in. I yelled, he pulled up and stared ne down from 30 yards, couldn't tell what I was.

He turned broadside and walked off real slow, stiff-legged. I don't know rheir body language but it was something along the lines of GFY.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got one using the Pic-a-Nic basket call.

Damn thing was wearing a hat.

Weird.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
I called one in with a cow elk call once. Heard something that sounded like a bull thrashing a tree.

Gave a few chirps, the sound stopped, and there he was, coming straight in. I yelled, he pulled up and stared ne down from 30 yards, couldn't tell what I was.

He turned broadside and walked off real slow, stiff-legged. I don't know rheir body language but it was something along the lines of GFY.

A buddy and I have called in lions. We would spread out 40-50 yds apart and take turns calling. He shot his lion when it was 30 yds behind me.

Walking down a two track road in the dark with an archery client I was bugling bulls on an adjacent ranch when a black blur suddenly appeared coming right at us. I screamed, the bear veered, went by us at 10 ft without breaking stride.
Took 5 minutes at least before my heart started beating again…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
bears are easy to call. The trick is use an electric call, and just leave it running continually, long after you're bored.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes with rabbit call and fawn distress. I’ve called in two bears at the same time and both scared each other off. Also called in wild horse, bobcat, and mt lion with same calls

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the PNW mountains, go to a trailhead...no call needed. They'll smell your foofoo coffee you brought from the city.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Which brand works best for you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.