Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used to buy Military surplus wool pants and shirts from the Army Navy store. Worked well.

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Used to use old army surplus wool pants as an outer layer while still hunting and you can’t really beat em as far as being warm and quiet, they are heavy though. I do swear by merino base layers, I use the mid weight minus 33 and black ovis layers interchangeably. They will keep you warm without adding a bunch of bulk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ice Breaker feels better on the skin than SmartWool. Unless sedentary in brutal cold, go with the lighter weights.

SmartWool Mountaineer socks are thick, warm and durable without any itch in roomy boots. Bring a light weight pair or two of mostly wool, too.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Empire Wool and Canvas in Duluth Mn makes excellent wool coats and vests. Kevin, the owner, has a small inventory from time to time but he never carries a large inventory of anything. Worth a look.

https://empirecanvasworks.com/product-category/insulation/

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I wear Woolpower next to skin. A midlayer and Columbia Wool blend outer layer on the coldest days here and don't feel a chill unless the wind gets going. The guys I hunt with wear synthetics and freeze UA, Sitka. I have encouraged them to ditch the plastic and enjoy hunting when it is cold. But they won't listen.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Been wearing/hunting with Woolrich for 20 years. Worn it in Canada and the UP of Michigan. Still the warmest clothing I have found. I did get a Kromer wool shirt a year ago that I really like also. Works well when it is in the upper 20's and above.

G
G
Vintage wool, Woolrich mostly, and a vintage Timberland Goose Down jacket to stuff in my pack. Wool is found at yard sales, goodwill, flea markets. Oh and if you haven't tried alpaca socks, its the warmth of wool but breathable so feet stay dry. I'm sorry I have friends with the expensive brands out there today that cost $600 for a jacket and they are not as warm as I am.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Wool is as quiet as it gets for outerwear. IMy wool pants and jackets don't get put on until heading into the woods, and rarely get washed. hang them outside or store with fresh pine needles. I usually wear synthetic underlayers because they get washed everytime I use them.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Another plus of wearing wool is animals don't seem to smell you or see it as well. That's my experience.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I have Swedish military surplus pants. They are superb for durability and warmth.

I have tried the Filson suite. Double Mackinaw Cruiser and the matching pants. I am selling them. Size 48 on the coat, 38Wx33L on the pants, if you are interested.

I have WeatherWool anoraks and their All Around Jacket. They are quite dear, but in my opinion, worth it if you are spending protracted amounts of time outside. Putting on Weather Wool is like donning armor against the cold. The material is oriented like shingles on a roof to shed water better. The Rambouillet wool is MUCH more resistant to the wind as well. Oh, and they are SOFT, not scratchy! The sticking point is that Ralph is having a hell of a time making enough of the material. No pants until 2024 : ( There will be fights/knifings/murders over who gets these coats when I am worm food! BTW - the wife loves her All Around Jacket - it is soft and warm - Mic drop for her.

I just scored a pair of Micklagaard pants. These are made with the same Wadmal wool (80% wool, 20% rayon) that the old Swedish surplus pants were made of. Micklagaard bought all of the Army's wartime stores when they switched to camo uniforms. The pants just broke $200 due to $37 FedEx shipping, and having them put a cargo pocket on the left leg. They are very well crafted. I have not gotten to field test them due to suffering through the summer months, but expect performance as good as the old Swedish pants.

For REALLY cold times (stand sitting) I have Wooly Pullys (British commando sweaters), and an Austrian Army pull-over that is even warmer.

Merino wool for extra layers under the outer wool. I have Wiggy fishnets to allow the evaporation of sweat to the wool.

Darn Tough and Cabela's merino wool boot socks are a good start for the feet.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I start off with heavyweight silk layer against skin, it does many things including reducing binding to reduce fatigue. Next is First Light merino wool. Sometimes a Rocky fleece layer Then a Pendelton wool shirt. Smartwool socks in Baffin booots.
Outer layer is usually Filson wool coat for silent hunting, however it can be Rivers West fleece parka or Carhartt.
Wool is low odor and wide temp comfort range or no sweat and freeze cycles.
Some of my wool articles are 2 and 3 decades old while still looking very nice. Wish the prices were the same.
oh and Stormy Kromer rancher wool hat with SKRE merino gaitor.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a KOM shirt, exceptional quality. May sell, I have too much stuff!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tripod3, what type of Baffin boots do you have? Saw several styles in a Vermont store last month.
I had a pair 20 years ago until my son slipped with the knive ice fishing and sliced the rubber. I continued to wear them for many years and avoided the puddles and swamps!
In the market for another pair not sure which ones.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think these baffins are a Crossfire -40 boot and have worn them to -10 with standard smartwool socks. Did require going up one size.
Also have a heavier pair rated at -60 or more but have not needed them yet even on long sits in miserable wind.
Baffin has solved a lifelong problem for me, no more cold feet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tagged.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
My hunting crew all wore Woolrich pants and hunting coats. I liked the Malone pants the best, but the early hunting pants with the cuffed bottom were some of the thickest wool pants ever made.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by WarAdmiral
My hunting crew all wore Woolrich pants and hunting coats. I liked the Malone pants the best, but the early hunting pants with the cuffed bottom were some of the thickest wool pants ever made.

Woolrich had some great wool stuff for a good price til closing plant and selling. Now prices are high with much different styles and choices.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,740
Posts18,457,663
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.