Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Kaleb
What I’m gathering from this thread is this. Al is explaining nothing is perfect and it’s very easy for him to make things close to perfect himself. Most of us don’t have that talent and skill.

What many of us are saying about Manners is we wish they were as close to drop in as a $150 B&C or Boyd’s.

Checked the prices on B&C stocks lately ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Higginez
Yeah, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I have the skills to do it, but I don't do it every day and getting things to turn out like your pics is not easy.

Most will pay their smith to fix the problems on a $900+ stock or send it back, both adding more time and money to a project that could have and should have been right to start with.

No worries, sir. Sounds like your needs are being met and standards achieved.

Good shootin' and all the best. smile -Al

And all the best to you Al!

Higgins

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BangPop
[Linked Image]

😳😳😳

Is there some sort of adapter on that one?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Craigster
What I’m gathering from this thread is this. Al is explaining nothing is perfect and it’s very easy for him to make things close to perfect himself. Most of us don’t have that talent and skill.

What many of us are saying about Manners is we wish they were as close to drop in as a $150 B&C or Boyd’s.

No sir.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SKane
[Linked Image]

😳😳😳

There is, but that's not the source of the leak.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
[Linked Image]

😳😳😳

if I read this right it has an adapter on it and a muzzle break? What kind of dumb bass suppressor manufacturer puts a brake inside a can? Not one that can make a good one. Lane cans suck

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Thanks, Kaleb.

Honestly, I don't have any more talent or skill than anyone else. It's really just a matter of doing it. Yes, a mill and lathe make it 'easier', in a way. But not always. For quite a few years, I did inletting and pillar work on a drill press with a 5" compound vise bolted down to it. With the drill press quill tweaked to reduce the wander, it worked just fine. Still does. Then I got a import 7X12 mini lathe and making pillars, escutcheons, screws, etc. became a lot easier. Heck, I still use the mini lathe for a lot of things since it's right in my gun room.

The bottom line for me is that for less money spent on a stock that doesn't fit, a home tinkerer (like myself) can acquire all the tools needed to do the work himself. Thinking a project through and ending up with a good job is pretty rewarding for almost everyone, I think.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Yeah, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I have the skills to do it, but I don't do it every day and getting things to turn out like your pics is not easy.

Most will pay their smith to fix the problems on a $900+ stock or send it back, both adding more time and money to a project that could have and should have been right to start with.

A lot of stocks are not perfect from the manufacture. You just deal with it. It's not hard to do, but does take a little time. Some are worse than others, they make it harder than it needs to be. The pre 64 trigger guard I posted a pic of earlier is something that mcmillan just does not like. For those of you calling it a poor design, it is what it is, and they are spendy. If they do not inlet it right, you will have to fix it. I prefer milling the stock and not touching the factory trigger guard. Both methods are easy to do, that is up to you, but I'd rather deepen the inletting on the stock rather than fu ck up a factory part. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Craigster

Damn near every aftermarket stock company is charging more now. The damn Tikka stock I have that I got for free, costs $500.00, so B&C is not real cheap anymore either. I will say the inletting was damn near perfect on that one though. Take that for what it is worth..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by blanket
[Linked Image]

😳😳😳

if I read this right it has an adapter on it and a muzzle break? What kind of dumb bass suppressor manufacturer puts a brake inside a can? Not one that can make a good one. Lane cans suck
Muzzle brake only. That's part of the problem. The brake directs the gas at the seal, which won't handle the pressure even without the brake. The brake simply makes a bad situation worse.

Last edited by BangPop; 02/09/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Higgins: In terms of pure satisfaction, this pre 64 Model 70 ranks right up there for me. It took a lot of work after others had given up on it....including properly addressing the trigger guard situation. wink It's subtle but all there in the pics. wink

The note the owner sent me hangs in my my gun room:

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice work Al. Great pictures.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Thanl you, Al and BSA for addressing my question about how you would go about fixing the problem.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
For what it’s worth I received a greyboe today that was ordered during the thanksgiving sale. Barreled action dropped right in and so did the m5 bottom metal. All I’ll do is skim bed it or maybe not? Will see how it shoots in the new stock. Only a sample of one though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For what it’s worth I received a greyboe today that was ordered during the thanksgiving sale. Barreled action dropped right in and so did the m5 bottom metal. All I’ll do is skim bed it or maybe not? Will see how it shoots in the new stock. Only a sample of one though.

If nothing else I would maybe bed the lug a little and see what it will do.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

I hunted a bit the last 2 years with a rifle in a GB stock. Same action but I switched barrels/chamberings from last year to this. I've left it unbedded...first time I've done that with a rifle in a long time. With both barrels it shot very well. The M5 inlet has been perfect for 3 different M5 bottom metals I've used with it over the last 2 years. Should mention the action dropped in as well, but it's set up for pretty much any contour.

A drop in fit for an action and bottom metal should never be off for a company that specifically lists them in a drop down list.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.