OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

BP-B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
What kind of evidence suggests a bear killed him? Not saying it didn't happen but proof? Could he have died from a fall, a medical issue? Then animals scavenged him? Is there any evidence that he was actually killed by a bear?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by verg
What kind of evidence suggests a bear killed him? Not saying it didn't happen but proof? Could he have died from a fall, a medical issue? Then animals scavenged him? Is there any evidence that he was actually killed by a bear?

I haven't seen anything that talks about what evidence they have.

But suppose you have tooth marks on the skull...

and forensic scientists can generally tell from studying an injury if it happened post-mortem (dude fell and then was eaten) or a mauling (dude was alive)

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If in fact he died via a bear attack, hopefully it was quick. Dying in nature beats succumbing to cancer or wasting away in a nursing home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Larry (Mr Esox), I tried to PM you, but it says you can’t receive PMs?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 907brass

and forensic scientists can generally tell from studying an injury if it happened post-mortem (dude fell and then was eaten) or a mauling (dude was alive)
What evidence could they use to show the bear did or did not kill him after more than 2 decades?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
There isn’t much to fall off of in that area. Pretty flat country all the way around…there are plenty of bears there to waylay you though…

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The CSI teams on TV would be able to tell exactly which bear did it and trace several levels of its offspring. They'd even discover the motive. The bear would then confess and take the punishment. In the real world, lots of reasoning and guesswork is involved. Some questions just don't get answered.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since the deceased was dropped off in that area, according to a report, was he hunting? If so, the Park Service advises carrying bear spray in a holster instead of an adequate firearm! As a long-time bear hunter, I get very annoyed with government officials who have rarely, if ever, walked isolated wilderness areas in bear country! So I responded to their page on self-protection in bear country (parks or otherwise) by informing them that their cute information was lacking. No one (officials, guides or hunters) goes after a wounded bear with bear spary! And where legal, I'd advise anyone hiking in such areas to tote a big-bore revolver in a holster rather than bear spray (as in the USA). As a Canadian, since I'm not allowed to carry a handgun, I've sworn NEVER to walk, climb or otherwise venture into known bear habitat without a shotgun or rifle of adequate force!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

What evidence could they use to show the bear did or did not kill him after more than 2 decades?
Maybe he left a note before dieing and freezing under that tree.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CZ550
Since the deceased was dropped off in that area, according to a report, was he hunting? If so, the Park Service advises carrying bear spray in a holster instead of an adequate firearm! As a long-time bear hunter, I get very annoyed with government officials who have rarely, if ever, walked isolated wilderness areas in bear country! So I responded to their page on self-protection in bear country (parks or otherwise) by informing them that their cute information was lacking. No one (officials, guides or hunters) goes after a wounded bear with bear spary! And where legal, I'd advise anyone hiking in such areas to tote a big-bore revolver in a holster rather than bear spray (as in the USA). As a Canadian, since I'm not allowed to carry a handgun, I've sworn NEVER to walk, climb or otherwise venture into known bear habitat without a shotgun or rifle of adequate force!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Bob,
The deceased was dropped off in the mid ‘70s.

I don’t believe bear spray was around at that time.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ironbender

Maybe he left a note before dieing and freezing under that tree.

Dibs on the Hawken!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It certainly gets tricky. There's a lot of science behind it that I haven't studied in detail.
If they truly couldn't tell if any gnawing was peri or post-mortem, maybe the easier thing foot the heavily to hear was that a bear killed him fast rather than he fell and slowly died and then was eaten.
https://allthingsaafs.com/2013/07/2...al-fracture-is-ante-peri-or-post-mortem/

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by strosfann
If in fact he died via a bear attack, hopefully it was quick. Dying in nature beats succumbing to cancer or wasting away in a nursing home.

Typically with bear attacks and deaths, and based on forensic science studying many attacks, you do not die quickly. You get eaten alive!

Bears don't care about the screaming!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/10/23.

KB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.