Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And speaking of stupid, for you guys that refuse to use a dot on a carry pistol, how many rounds, if any have you fired with a dot on your gun?

I went back and forth till it finally clicked, now I won’t buy a pistol that won’t take a dot. Picked up a Gen 5 G21 MOS yesterday. It might or might not be a CC pistol but it’ll have a dot on it before long.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Not a good idea with a Holosun 407. You can easily turn the dot off by pressing the + and - button simultaneously with a finger.

Not on a 507 K or C

I did it one time with a 507K X2. I then put it in lock mode so that doesn't happen. It also means you can't adjust the brightness without first unlocking it. I then went to the 407K X2 for the bigger dot so I can find one setting and leave it on that. With that said, it's not the problem that TRH makes it out to be.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Pros, it might be more accurate for you. Cons, it's slightly heavier and bulkier and could fail and requires a suitable holster.

Perfectly stated.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Not a good idea with a Holosun 407. You can easily turn the dot off by pressing the + and - button simultaneously with a finger.

I used the lock mode feature to prevent that from happening.

Doh!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Last year I bought three new SA XD-M Elites......optics included

9mm......45.....10mm

Of the three Hex Dragonfly optics..two went back to SA for replacement for one reason or another

Why.....if the weapon is packaged with a red dot....why are high co witness sights not installed ?

I find a red dot much easier to hit with opposed to iron sights

Crossbreed holsters has a simple option to include fitment of a red dot/laser

My advise is to have irons co witness in red dot window

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by FreeMe
As far as finding the dot, my limited experience is that what Bluedreaux has to say about it is exactly correct. I'm not going to try to quote or even paraphrase. It shouldn't take long to find his comments on the subject here.

This?

I'd add that the key to finding the dot is proper head position (second quote below) and initial presentation of the pistol. Establish a two hand grip as early as possible, preferably as soon as it clears the holster. Present the pistol in a straight (diagonal) line from the holster to extension. Don't bring it to your center line and push it out. Don't "punch" it out. Just lift it to your line of sight. It should be horizontal, parallel to the ground, before it's lifted all the way to your line of sight.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I stand straight upright, chin parallel to the ground. Just like a normal standing person. Then clap your hands together in front of you, like your trying to catch a bug. Both arms are slightly bent and not hyper extended. They're both evenly extended. Then put a gun in them. Then, without moving your head or scrunching anything up in your neck or shoulders, just lift the gun up until you're looking at the sights.

I hold the gun with my hands and wrists. Everything else (biceps, shoulders, back) are relaxed except for the tension needed to suspend the weight of the pistol in front of me.

Stance (foot position and any slight lean) are dictated by how you might need to fight or move. They have nothing to do with the very minor recoil of a handgun.

Yes, that. Didn't mean to put you on the spot, but I knew I couldn't describe it like you did. That made all the difference for me.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not on a 507 K or C

I did it one time with a 507K X2. I then put it in lock mode so that doesn't happen. It also means you can't adjust the brightness without first unlocking it. I then went to the 407K X2 for the bigger dot so I can find one setting and leave it on that. With that said, it's not the problem that TRH makes it out to be.

I've been using a 507C & K for better than 2 years even sleep and laying on the pistol and optic and I've never experienced the problem that you describe.

I never lock it as want to be able to adjust the brightness as needed instantly and have never experienced the problem as described

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I've never found that I could push both buttons at the same time with 1 finger

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sarcasm font:
“I don’t have or carry any red dot equipped guns , but I have all the info on why it’ll never work “

Lol good times

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've never found that I could push both buttons at the same time with 1 finger

If there's a way to make something not work or malfunction, I'll probably find it. My middle name should be Murphy.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jmd025
Sarcasm font:
“I don’t have or carry any red dot equipped guns , but I have all the info on why it’ll never work “

Lol good times
All four of my ARs have one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You're all idiots if you aren't carrying a Bul Armory 1911....

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jmd025
Sarcasm font:

Lol good times
All four of my ARs have one.

Congrats ,
Also irrelevant.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why act that way?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's my Springfield XDM Elite Compact 9mm, with a Holosun 507 sight, in an Urban Carry IWB holster. This sight comes with choices of reticles- I use the default dot and circle, which I find to be very quick and easy to acquire. This combo is the most accurate carry gun I own. I really like this holster, after carrying for about a year, it is leather, but has a positive retention feature and completely encloses the trigger.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tried it once on a M&P full size 40, and didn't care for it. The slide is not milled. I had to remove rear sight, and use an adapter plate. If it were milled out getting the optic lower I'd try it again. I don't really want or need another pistol though. I've seen where others have drilled the white dot out of their front sight, then recessed the top out for fiber optic rod. I did this on my shield 9mm the other day, and blacked out rear dots. Gives me a good sight picture as long as there's a little light. Those s&w front sights are really in there. Brass punch won't budge them.

Romans 5:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not on my carry gun yet since I haven't mastered their use for fast shooting but am bound and determined to get good with them. Have had Burris Fastfires on my Ruger Mark III and IV pistols for a while now but those are for deliberate aimed fire.

A little while ago I bought a 5" barreled M&P 2.0 Pro Series model and mounted a spare Fastfire on it to familiarize myself with its use. Today I plunked down my money for an M&P 2.0 4.25" optics ready version. At some point I'll probably get a Holosun for both of them, maybe a Vortex Venom or a Leupold DPP for the 5" model but that's a decision for later.

As noted above, beyond about 15 yards is where you really tell the difference in accuracy. With open sights at 25 yards I can keep a 4" group but it's about 5-6" high. Its not the sights but my eyes, they're old and the front sight gets blurred. With the new Pro Series mounting a reflex sight and taking deliberate aim, the shots are right on the target center and groups stay within about 3". Not world class shooting but the win goes to the optics.

Up close - 7 to 10 yards - is where they are still a problem for me. With an open sighted pistol the barrel itself is the reference, not necessarily the sights. It's like a big fat finger in my peripheral vision and I can be on target and shooting accurately before the sights even line up. The optic sight obscures the forward portion of the slide and I find myself searching for the dot so it slows me up considerably. That's even with the dot in the view window as the pistol comes up; I'm looking to make sure it's where it should be before letting off the shot, whereas with open sights the first shot would already be down range. Since it's a more precise aiming reference my instinct is to aim more precisely before firing.

Basically I learned to point shoot a long time ago as a kid and am pretty good at it, and it's a skill I don't want to lose while still melding use of the dot into the repertoire.

I understand it's just a matter of training which is why my 9mm ammo budget is going up considerably for the foreseeable future. shocked

Fwiw, I recently bought a Hillary hole Model 67-5 .38 Spl., something I wouldn't have even considered a while ago, just because it's d&t and can easily take a red dot mount. I'm sold on them.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Sig P365XL in a We the People kydex IWB holster. I wear a KORE Essentials belt which is rigid and keeps the pistol in place. This is my Church gun. Accurate and plenty of capacity (15 rounder in my off side pocket). It now has a Holosun 507K on top.

Ron
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wanted a red dot forever because I thought I'd love it. Finally got one and put it on a Glock 40. I just can't warm up to it. Hats off to anyone that can afford to put in enough time and money to get fast with one, because it ain't me.

I'd personally never put one on a serious carry gun. The added accuracy potential doesn't make up for the slower target acquisition in my book. Give me a laser instead.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I wanted a red dot forever because I thought I'd love it. Finally got one and put it on a Glock 40. I just can't warm up to it. Hats off to anyone that can afford to put in enough time and money to get fast with one, because it ain't me.

I'd personally never put one on a serious carry gun. The added accuracy potential doesn't make up for the slower target acquisition in my book. Give me a laser instead.

There is no cost to learn how to acquire the DOT fast, it is all about presentation and that can be learned without firing a shot. If you can't find the FOT then you aren't aligned with your sights.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.