-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gonna have to make a trip to the Yoder409 Gobbler Observatory (a.k.a. the sliding door in Momma's sunroom) and give a listen.

It was warm-ish this morning. I may already be missing out on that GLORIOUS noise.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If there were any turkeys around my house, doubt you'd hear them this morning. What a terrible weather morning it is today! Cold, windy driven rain out of the Northeast. Kinda day that I'm glad there's nothing I have to go outside for....

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's supposed to be 71 degrees, partly cloudy, and 3% chance of rain here today. Would be a great day to be in the forest.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Winds howlin, upper 30°s.... rains almost comin down sideways. Enjoy your nice weather and it would be nice to hear some birds sounding off from the patio door! Enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Tomorrow morning, up to 57 in the western part of the state today.

Don't gobble at me
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Tomorrow morning, up to 57 in the western part of the state today.

I'm thinkin you're right

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can hear them every now and then behind my house but not something you can count on.
That would be cool to set on the deck behind your house and count on hearing them

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still winter here in Colorado------tonight's low is suppose to be 0*

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No thank you, it was in the mid 50's here but 40 MPH winds last night. It is usually not that warm nor windy. I think it is going to be around 30 tonight.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Still winter here, too, for another month and a half, at least. But global warming is blessing us at the moment. Almost 60 today. Supposed to have 50 mph winds tonight. So the hearing might not be easy in the A.M.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was so windy this morning, I thought Dorothy's house was gonna fly by.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by roverboy
It was so windy this morning, I thought Dorothy's house was gonna fly by.

It was windy for sure, don't think you could hear them unless you were standing next to them

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Windy and 37 degrees.

This wasn't the morning. Could hear well enough. They just weren't hollering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It used to be, I'd be out every Saturday morning starting about March 1 listening for birds over my first cup of coffee. I seldom heard anything until mid-month. Sometimes it would be the last weekend in March and I'd be getting a little frantic. Ever since Mister Moto came to town, things haven't been the same.

About 2009, we had a gobbler move into the neighbors' ridge. This gob would gobble like crazy in all kinds of weather and at all times of the year. That year, he crossed the creek for a brief time and set up shop over on Heartbreak Ridge. I had one run-in with him on a sunny mid-afternoon. I'd fallen asleep and rolled over just in time to see him staring at me. That was my one and only run-in with the bird.

Moto, the motor-mouth, stayed back on the other side of the creek after that. You could call to him, and he'd answer, but he'd never move. Moto was the first gobbler you heard in the winter and the last gobbler you heard in the fall. We'd hear him on 4th of July and Labor Day. With Moto's help, I finally got to hear turkey gobbling all 12 months of the year. After a few years, we stopped hearing him, and there was a year there where it was silent. Then the mini-Motos started growing up. Moto had managed to spread his seed all around, and there were now lots of gobblers sounding off.

Even that dwindled, and about 5 years ago, we decided the Moto strain had left us, but it was only gone for about a year before re-expressing itself. Last year, we had 3 Motoids. Two on our place and one across the creek to the north back in Moto's old tree.

I probably won't make it down to the farm until late February, but I'm fairly sure I'll be hearing Moto when I get there. I was down there in mid-January, and there was a Motoid sounding off in Hootin' Holler while I was drinking my coffee.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,040 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.