Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Fell in love with the 16 because of an Aya Boxlock made in the 50s. Theres an eagle or falcon engraved on the sides. Single non selective trigger and short beavertail forend. 26" bbl choked imp cylinder and modified.

I am a trap/sporting clays guy and hunt mostly stocked birds over a dog or kicking through the woods for rabits. I took this baby out with an older box of Remington 1oz #7.5 and shot 25 in fivestand. I'm a consistent 23 shooter and can count the number of times I've hit 25 straight in 20 years on 2 hands. And this was loading both barrels and alternating between chokes every shot. (IT was the end of the night and I was shooting alone)

What I am not too thrilled about (just yet atleast) are double triggers and splinter forends. And my criticism of this gun is that I wish it were 28" bbls and mod/full chokes. I did pick up an AYA matador in 16 with those requirements and love it, but patterning it over 6 shots seemed to uncover that the hook was peened to show a tight face by the gunbroker seller I bought it off of...

I still want it fixed because it was perfect on paper at 15-25 yards with modified and at 25-50 yards with full.

But, I would like to look into something a little more modern like a parker reproduction or a csmc or upland gun Co. In 16 with a beavertail and selective trigger...oh, and I do love the push through style selector...it seems very intuitive to me if I have to switch to a longer shot when preparing for a closer shot or vice versa.

As I inquired with some double gun dealers I was silently judged for insisting on a single trigger and beavertail forend haha
If I could afford a winchester 21 I'd buy one tomorrow. It's my American view on what a sxs should be and don't mind sacrificing weight for durability and comfort.

Anyone else in the minority like me when it comes to SxS's?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Look at the F.A.I.R side by sides. The higher grade guns all come with single triggers and I'm sure you can order a beavertail forearm if that's what you want.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I always wanted a Browning has 20 gauge. Have one finally and the forearm feels like a 2x4 and I constantly pull off for the rear trigger that isn't there. Be careful what you wish for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pbking51
Fell in love with the 16 because of an Aya Boxlock made in the 50s. Theres an eagle or falcon engraved on the sides. Single non selective trigger and short beavertail forend. 26" bbl choked imp cylinder and modified.

I am a trap/sporting clays guy and hunt mostly stocked birds over a dog or kicking through the woods for rabits. I took this baby out with an older box of Remington 1oz #7.5 and shot 25 in fivestand. I'm a consistent 23 shooter and can count the number of times I've hit 25 straight in 20 years on 2 hands. And this was loading both barrels and alternating between chokes every shot. (IT was the end of the night and I was shooting alone)

What I am not too thrilled about (just yet atleast) are double triggers and splinter forends. And my criticism of this gun is that I wish it were 28" bbls and mod/full chokes. I did pick up an AYA matador in 16 with those requirements and love it, but patterning it over 6 shots seemed to uncover that the hook was peened to show a tight face by the gunbroker seller I bought it off of...

I still want it fixed because it was perfect on paper at 15-25 yards with modified and at 25-50 yards with full.

But, I would like to look into something a little more modern like a parker reproduction or a csmc or upland gun Co. In 16 with a beavertail and selective trigger...oh, and I do love the push through style selector...it seems very intuitive to me if I have to switch to a longer shot when preparing for a closer shot or vice versa.

As I inquired with some double gun dealers I was silently judged for insisting on a single trigger and beavertail forend haha
If I could afford a winchester 21 I'd buy one tomorrow. It's my American view on what a sxs should be and don't mind sacrificing weight for durability and comfort.

Heretic

A "proper" 16 bore SXS
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And another

Yet another on top

Knuckle-buster double-triggers

Truth time now:

My first SXS at age 12, 62 years ago, was an AYA Matador 20ga with a beavertail forend and single selective trigger. I never shot better with any other shotgun. Unfortunately it was lost in a burglary many years ago.

I got my adult stepson a 12ga version of it ten years ago. It's his favorite shotgun by far.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I like how you snuck that in for the finally!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recently bought a merkel 47e 16 single trigger ic mod 28 inch english stock side clips. U might look that direction

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
I recently bought a merkel 47e 16 single trigger ic mod 28 inch english stock side clips. U might look that direction

That would rate a two-cool

cool cool

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks slduck, that looks just what im after! Will have to hunt for one

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Might want to check out the Fausti DEA as well Im eyeballing them pretty hard

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
yes, and i do hear they are on a 20 frame.

So far my list of guns to handle/buy are

1. CSMC RBL (trigger push through selector/beavertail)
2. Rizzini BR522 (choke tubes!)
3. Merkel 47e
4. Fausti DEA
5. upland Gun Co. (cutomizable)
6. Hope someone had an AYA no.2 made with 28bbl/mod-full chokes/beavertail/SST

7. Franchi SLX - OU but still interests me hearing it is light and has chokes tubes

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
merkel merkel merkel

got the merkel bug 20 years ago and have bought shot and sold a couple dozen.

now time to sell some....

my goto for doves merkel 147E IN 28 SXS with 28 inch barrel. instively shoots on its own.

bought a custom engraved merkel 280ELS? sidelock... 28 inch barrels. pistol grip... doesn't fit me or shoot as well. paid 10 k and waited a year and a half for it. doves one side, quail the other... going to let it go..

as to single double triggers? over under single trigger, SXS double triggers OK.
beaver tail forehand required in Arizona where heat plus shooting burns your hands with a splittail front piece.

selective triggers for slow shooting like ducks and geese. with quail or doves, best shoot whatever barrel is set up..

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I vote Merkel as well. I own 2 and both are beautiful and hell for stout. They should be still shooting generations from now.

Only double triggers for me please.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pbking51

<<<<<_What I am not too thrilled about (just yet atleast) are double triggers and splinter forends._>>>>> And my criticism of this gun is that I wish it were 28" bbls and mod/full chokes. I did pick up an AYA matador in 16 with those requirements and love it, but patterning it over 6 shots seemed to uncover that the hook was peened to show a tight face by the gunbroker seller I bought it off of...

Heretic!
mad

Actually, my first double was a Matador 20ga at a young age. I was Death-on-two-feet with that gun. It was lost in a home burglary when I was 19.

It seems few people can operate two triggers. I find them the best of all worlds, instant barrel/load selection. And, I love the feel of a slender splinter forend, but to each his own. Shoot what works best for You, and never apologize about beavertails and SSTs. I have friends who'll shoot nothing else.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My two 16 gauge SxS’s are a Philadelphia Fox and a Merkel 1620, both with double triggers. I shoot enough 5 stand and sporting with the Merkel (with the 20 gauge barrel set) that double triggers work just fine for me. My o/u’s are sst’s.

If you can find a Merkel 1620 with the sst and the 20 gauge barrel set as well as the 16, that would probably make you very happy. They are a delightful little gun and the 20 gauge option makes clay target sports with your “16 gauge” much more reasonable.

Mathew 22: 37-39

You are not alone my friend. I love my heavy American Savage Fox Model B. Nice solid gun that shoots heavy loads comfortably. swings nice with the weight. Great for rabbits and such. If I want a light gun i go with my TriStar auto.

That Boy Aint Right......Kinda Touched In The Head

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.