Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Travelled in the states enough to know that there is not much of a difference between our culters, excluding Queerbec of course.

I have been eating KFC and watching NFL since I was 9 years old, as American and as Apple Pie as you can get lol

KB
Regarding KFC:
The very first time I ate Kentucky Fried Chicken was in Calgary, Alberta, in 1957. We were moving from Wyoming to northern B.C. at the time and there was a hotel restaurant which served KFC. It became SOP for us to stop on our way on each trip. I cannot remember when I first ate KFC south of the line. At this time, Calgary was pretty metropolitan in comparison to what we were used to (Worland, Wyoming and Moscow, Idaho). GD

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, Canadian's vary alot from coast to coast( to coast).
Yeah, Ottawa ( like D.C.) doesn't represent Westerners well at all.
Central Canada more or less controls our Federal politics, their emphasis is on Southern Ontario and Quebec.
What exactly , is your statement about?
Would you like Trudeau to get along better with Biden?
Both are hit by the same hammer, their politics are nearly identical. Too bad for both of us.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blanket
Why I will never return, spend money in Canada
Canada has not been US friends since the 1990's why should we support

All of Canada is devastated at this turn of events.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
outahere;
Good morning to you sir - well it's still morning here in south central BC - I hope all is well as can be with you, all things considered in our respective and collective sections of the world.

Thanks for the reply that you and the other folks have taken the time to add, I appreciate it.

To any of the US 'Fire folks reading who've not come up onto our side of the medicine line, way WAY back in the day we started a bit of an "information package" of sorts for visiting hunters but it's got information for any travelers truly.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...60/planning-a-hunt-in-canada#Post6042560

If any of you reading are heading into our part of the world that is up Highway 97 and you have specific questions about well whatever you think a local might be able to assist with, please feel free to PM me. I'll do my best to either answer or find somewhere an answer exists - if possible.

Some questions like - is "this" firearm now banned are tougher because of the situation we find ourselves in politically. We're working on it folks, honest we are, but it's sort of like asking what the gas and diesel fuel prices might be this summer - who know right?

That said, the gasbuddy.com website works for most places up here, unlike your cell phone which might not in the mountains! wink

Anyways, if I can help I will be glad to.

All the best to one and all on both sides of the medicine line.

Dwayne

Good evening Dwayne,

I sure hope all is well on the West side of the Rockies. Spring is just around the corner, soon be time to get the fly-rod out! Headed to Calgary tomorrow to attend the CSAAA tradeshow but I'll be crossing the Bow River at some point to get there. Wonder if it is ice free yet????
Great reference to the "Planning a Hunt in Canada" thread. I wonder if we should maybe take a look at it for some updates as it has been there a while.
It sure is frustrating to be continuously wondering if we can still use our firearms day to day.
On top of the issues a ban of any type of hunting arms will make for us, the devastation to the tourism industry would also be immense! I have mentioned that issue in a number of letters and position papers I have written, the replies have consisted of crickets. The Liberals just don't seem to care about the outdoor life many of us live and in many ways, attempt to share with visitors to Canada.
Stay safe my friend,
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, thanks so much for the response and well wishes.

Please feel free to update that thread as you see fit and learn of anything visiting hunters might find useful. The same goes for anyone who can add helpful stuff for sure.

Regarding tourism, specifically outdoor tourism and hunting, the page I'm currently on Jeff is that the sooner it goes away and we're all stuck in our houses in big cities, the happier the folks who pull Socks' strings will be.

I know that sounds crazy on several levels, but the fiscal policies, the constant mistruths and out and out fabrications, the insane levels of spending without regard for where it might ever be funded has brought me to that conclusion.

While they might say they're okay with FN folks hunting, they don't say anywhere they have agreed they have to do it with firearms as far as I can read.

If alternate income streams were ever a consideration, we'd not own a pipeline that has pumped nothing for years or be fixated on an alternate energy program that isn't remotely achievable even if the entire population vanished tonight.

That all said, life is about change and ebbs and flows Jeff. If we can make enough like minded people wake up to see what's being done and what we can accomplish, then we'll see meaningful change.

We'll see.

I hope that with events like the tradeshow you're attending we'll gain more people to our side and as we've said before, we have to at least try right?

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The ignorant and dumb usually do not recognize that they are ignorant and dumb. The OP confirms it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have travelled quite a bit in Canada, been fishing the last 12 years(except covid shutdown). Just like US meet some very nice people and a few you don't need to see again. I have no problem spending some money north of the border.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chris_c
I have no problem spending some money north of the border.

Same.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chris_c
I have no problem spending some money north of the border.

As do the untold 1000s of CDNs that go south of the border for all manner of reasons.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
BC is great, not as great as the people that live there though...
but I gotta say, the official face of the Canadian border authority is the sorriest, most arrogant, rude, wannabe badasses ever collected by one employer. Every kid in Canada that didn't have any friends in school or was picked on now has a badge working the POE's.
One good side to that however, it helps put Alaska Marine Highways in the black.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
but I gotta say, the official face of the Canadian border authority is the sorriest, most arrogant, rude, wannabe badasses ever collected by one employer. Every kid in Canada that didn't have any friends in school or was picked on now has a badge working the POE's.

That's weird .... I live close to the border and cross over a lot.

Nothing serious, but I've had more hassles going into your country than coming back into mine.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by flintlocke

That's weird .... I live close to the border and cross over a lot.

Nothing serious, but I've had more hassles going into your country than coming back into mine.
Yeah, I have never crossed anywhere but BC, so my mouth got carried away, but from the treatment I received at Peace Arch stayed in my mind. Seemed like every trip to Alaska I was accused of smuggling, sowing seeds of anarchy, overthrow of the Canada govt, at the least. I do not look like a hippie, never arrested, no tats or earrings, I keep my mouth shut and just answer when questioned, but have been detained at length and searched every time. Tok and Sumas is scarcely better. I wonder now, if I am flagged some way in the US and the Canadians are tipped off, but there is always the possibility that I am just ugly.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My experience is the US is worse than Canada.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
flintlocke;
Good morning to you sir, I hope your section of Jefferson State is getting enough snow or moisture this winter that it'll do some good and that you're well.

The chap I cowboyed for on weekends sometimes and was part of his branding crew for 27 odd years also worked for Canada Customs as it used to be known as until he retired from it after 30 plus years. On the branding crew was another fellow who worked 25 plus years for Canada Customs and until he passed we also had an RCMP Sargent who'd join in.

Sometimes the conversation was pretty instructive.

The short version of the guess I'm about to make regarding your experience would be as follows.

They - that is to say Canada Border Services Agency - are a pretty broad swath of humanity and as such have sterling examples of fine upstanding humans and then some malignant rectal orifices as well. If said MRO behaves well enough to pass probation and become a full fledged member of the CBSA they are then represented by the Public Service Alliance of Canada Union - who will usually fight tooth and nail to keep all sorts of their members still gainfully employed.

Much to the chagrin of management sometimes as you can well imagine.

As well, sometimes one is just plain old unlucky and ends up behind either a Karen or some other wonderful representative of your country of origin and yes you and the next half a dozen people may pay for Karen's indiscretions. Sad that's the case but true.

It can also be that the CBSA agent you get has goofed up and let some try miscreant into the country recently - it got traced back to them - they received a well deserved mastication of the hindquarters sort of meeting and have taken it to heart. Again no fault of your own, you just drew the short straw.

Before 911 and when we lived a wee bit closer to the medicine line, we used to head down to Oroville for a tank of gas, jug of milk and a pound of cheese sort of run - and hey, it was something to do too in what was a pretty sleepy place back then.

There was one particular US Border Patrol agent everybody hoped not to get questioned by. I'm not sure where he'd come from, but he just couldn't wrap his head around driving a half hour to save $20 so he was sure we were up to something. By we I do mean the entire line of Canucks headed down into Ben Prince's parking lot too, because back then it was 8 out of 10 cars there had BC plates.

Anyways, on behalf of the segment of BC which appreciates the income stream supplied by tourists from all nations but especially our good neighbors to the south, I'll apologize for the bad behavior most certainly but at the same time assure you it's out of our control for the most part for reasons stated above.

If you ever wander up through the 97 drop me a PM and I'll do my best to get some coffee into you or if they're open some decent hard ice cream at the stand down on the highway.

Best to you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Dwayne, thanks for the reply to my question about your gun rules. I hope the best for you and your fellow countrymen. We down here are in a perpetual fight for our rights too, and it isn't looking good with the present administration..

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sorry you feel that way. We'll survive without your few pennies.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Then get the F out.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Hello Troll

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by wabigoon

AH NO

We spend several months a year in the US, have had zero issues and the areas we frequent people are open, friendly and hospitable.

Canada has a group of children running our country and I have heard your governing teams described as morning cereal – a mixture of nuts, flakes and fruits. Same analogy could be applied to ours.

If your US experience is bad then it must be big cities like Chicago, Detroit, Miami or St Louis (all of which I have spent time in) and I can assure you we have similar problems in big cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

Other than the military, the US can do resolve and your “for now” firearm freedoms we are more alike than we are different.

Hugh
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.