Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A thread on the Hunters Campfire forum regarding the first things that you hunted made me recall this experience.

I was hiking up a grassy ridge while carrying a .22 rifle. I came upon two cottontails and shot one, which I thought had dropped dead. The second rabbit scurried up over the ridge and onto the other side. I followed it and as I did that, I walked past the first bunny. I looked over the ridge and, while I did that, the "dead" rabbit let out a blood curdling scream from behind me. It was startling to say the least.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I would put an injured cottontail scream right up there with a bunch of coyotes “chorusing” after sunset with sounds that raise the hair on the back of your neck. 😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
yep…pretty loud! No wonder predators come running out of the woodwork for it!

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yup, every time my cat catches one. That's what most of the coyote squealers imitate.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heard my first one many years ago. Shot and wounded one with a .22 and my dog jumped on it. A hell of a sound.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some buddies and I were camping out one early fall night and about midnight we were all woken up with a bloody scream. It turns out a bobcat had caught a rabbit not far from our camp and it was screeching I assume because of the pain and fright. My dog was with me and she took off in the direction of the scream and a few seconds later we all heard this growl we are pretty sure was from the bob cat. The dog came running back and laid down beside me like it wanted protection. After the bobcat's growl that was the las we heard of the rabbit. It was pretty spooky.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a Jimmy Carter experience with one once.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes, many years ago. I was just a kid, out in the woods by myself…..scared the hell outta me! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Fishing the Kansas river for flatheads at 2am perfectly quiet until a coyote or bobcat grabbed a cottontail on the bank.

MY GOD…. Just end it already… it was like a never ending horror movie

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes sir
That's what predator calls are made to imitate

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First time I heard that, I was a teenage bowhunter and was using empty 38 special cartridges for a blunt tip on my homemade wooden arrows.

My beagle chased a rabbit in a big circle, back to me and I shot it with that recurve... Oh my goodness! I had no idea that they'd scream.

Haven't heard it often, but I don't hunt rabbits all that often either. Heck of a noise.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Probably the most hair raising noise I've heard in the outdoors is two bobcats fighting. In the moonlight deep in the national forest alone walking out with a bow killed deer in the backpack and when that ruckus kicks off about 150 yards ahead of you it will cause you stop for a minute or two to figure it out before continuing on that direction.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
11 or 12 years old, out woods loafing with my trusty Crossman, sitting just below the top of a slightly wooded ridge, mainly junipers and such with a few trees here and there, overgrown pasture, I believe. I heard a gawdawful screaming above me ... several one or two second bursts. I scrambled up to the top of the ridge, scaring off a big red-tail hawk that had obviously just nailed a rabbit. The rabbit took off too. I winged a hail Mary shot at the rabbit, clean miss, but I could see three red stripes down the length of his hindquarter where the hawk had grabbed him. Pretty cool sight for a kid to see.

Mathew 22: 37-39

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Not sure in real life. but about 35 years ago I had a cassette tape for my tape caller with a Handwritten label "cottontail being skined alive. Bought it at a small local gun shop. It called a few coyotes, but would make my dog go berserk.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When caught by an animal? Yes many times

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When caught by an animal? Yes many times

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Funny that you bring this up because I haven’t thought about this topic for 40+ years. When I was a little boy my grandpa and I were real close and we’d spend all summer traveling across the country. Grandma and grandpa had decided to buy property in Apache Junction Arizona so we started spending a lot of time there, especially spring and summer. I was always into guns, hunting, fishing and everything outdoor related with my earliest memories of shooting BB guns and archery. I had a bolt action 22 that mom and dad bought me for Christmas when I was 9 and that’s what I toted in the desert around Apache Junction for rabbits. I had read about cottontails screaming and I absolutely dreaded that. I literally stayed awake at nights fearing a bad shot and having to hear them scream. I spent more time practicing with my 22 kicking a ball and hitting it on the move like a fleeing rabbit. Finally the day came that I was comfortable enough with my shooting that I committed myself to giving the rabbits a shot(pun intended). I started out on the desert trail about 7am, the desert in the springtime is magical with everything being a wonderful assault on all your senses. I had only been on the trail for a couple minutes when the first cottontail flushed behind me and to the left. I instinctively swung and fired hitting the cottontail in the head and instantly killing it. I was PROUD of my first shot and decided to collect the rabbit on my way back to grandpa and his truck unless a coyote or something came along in which case I’d use the rabbit as bait for a bigger trophy. Over the next several hours I proceeded to kill 4 more cottontails all with head shots and not a peep out of them. I killed several big jackrabbits and other assorted desert vermin including a decent sized rattler but for some reason it was the scream of a cottontail that worried me. 😂

On my way back to grandpa and the truck I slowly approached the site of my first cottontail kill hoping to see a coyote or bobcat eating it. I crawled over the little rise to peek into the small wash where the dead rabbit was and I couldn’t believe my 12 year old eyes….there were 3 cottontails eating their buddy. I threw my rifle up and set the iron site on one of the little cannibals and it looked up at me with a bloody face…the 3 rabbits looked demonic with the blood of their fallen comrade staining their cute cuddly furry little faces. I killed 1 of the demon cannibals and kept returning to the site hoping for something bigger but that was it. I never worried about them screaming ever again after that surprisingly gruesome encounter…😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've played it a lot but only heard it once. I was sitting in a deer stand and one started. It went on forever. I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from or what was happening, but if it died, it wasn't a quick death.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Saw a coyote catch one while sitting in a deer stand. Dam it was loud

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've also heard a Pine Squirrel scream as it was being chased by a Pine Marten. That chase lasted about 2 or 3 minutes. I was hoping the Pine Marten would get his chattering ass but he got away.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (22kHornet, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 62 invisible), 3,235 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,941
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.