Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Edwin264
It’s kinda like a crying baby. It’s nerve racking!

Yup, I hate it as well!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/15/23.

KB

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my Dad was attacked by a Jackrabbit he cornered one time.

Which one screamed?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Squeal bunny squeal !!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup heard them a few times growing up on the farm. Also bobcat sounds like a woman screaming

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quote//"On my way back to grandpa and the truck I slowly approached the site of my first cottontail kill hoping to see a coyote or bobcat eating it. I crawled over the little rise to peek into the small wash where the dead rabbit was and I couldn’t believe my 12 year old eyes….there were 3 cottontails eating their buddy. I threw my rifle up and set the iron site on one of the little cannibals and it looked up at me with a bloody face…the 3 rabbits looked demonic with the blood of their fallen comrade staining their cute cuddly furry little faces. I killed 1 of the demon cannibals and kept returning to the site hoping for something bigger but that was it. I never worried about them screaming ever again after that surprisingly gruesome encounter…😂"

I never knew chickens were cannibals either until I built a coop. I put a group of pullets in with the existing flock - one had a bum leg. Within a couple of hours they had killed it and stripped the carcass. No head and had gutted it and eaten the entrails. Kinda freaked me out...

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I was wearing a mad trapper hat and heard a whoosh. I flinched and an owl veered off, just missed my head.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A friend of mine many years ago, caught a Jack Rabbit (don’t know how) alive. He was a serious coyote hunter. He rolled the rabbits ear up tightly, then squeezed it until the rabbit screamed while he recorded it. Then used that recording for calling!

He brought his recording to work one night and played it for us……it would make you cringe! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/19/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have heard cottontails . Jack rabbits give a hellacious scream when hit less than lethal.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
when we were kids me and friend of mine were walking through a field during the summer. He spotted a tiny baby cotton tail hiding in the grass, and caught it pretty easily. It immediately started screaming really loud. My friend suddenly yelled out OUCH! and the rabbit leaped out of his hands and took off. It bit him on the thumb and he said it was very painful

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
First time I heard one,was walking a hedge row with a friend,we were 13-14 maybe,just out goofing off.
My buddy had a black lab who was tagging along.
Out of nowhere Mike pounces into the hedge and we hear the scream,Mike comes walking out of the hedge with a bunny in his mouth.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Went rabbit hunting with some family when i was about five years old. I had a single shot .22. Spotted a sitting rabbit not far away, aimed, and shot. Rabbit screamed, jumped up about my head height, then fell over dead. Pretty exciting for a little kid.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Only after being shot by a 6.5 CM……multiple times! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea,
Many times.
Hate to say it but have also stepped on one to make it scream.
Great fox call !

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
We had a cat get ahold of one when I was a kid. Thought someone was getting murdered.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to shoot them with our Ben Pearson 15 pound recurve bows and field point arrows. It was rare that they didn't scream.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Heard a few cottontails, and a few black-tailed jackrabbits.
When I was about 17, or so, I was baling hay and saw a baby cottontail in the windrow.
Stopped the tractor, and tried to rescue the little guy. He bit the heck out of me!
Drew blood through my glove!
Thereafter, I'd just kick the little bastids out, and carry on.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Funny that you bring this up because I haven’t thought about this topic for 40+ years. When I was a little boy my grandpa and I were real close and we’d spend all summer traveling across the country. Grandma and grandpa had decided to buy property in Apache Junction Arizona so we started spending a lot of time there, especially spring and summer. I was always into guns, hunting, fishing and everything outdoor related with my earliest memories of shooting BB guns and archery. I had a bolt action 22 that mom and dad bought me for Christmas when I was 9 and that’s what I toted in the desert around Apache Junction for rabbits. I had read about cottontails screaming and I absolutely dreaded that. I literally stayed awake at nights fearing a bad shot and having to hear them scream. I spent more time practicing with my 22 kicking a ball and hitting it on the move like a fleeing rabbit. Finally the day came that I was comfortable enough with my shooting that I committed myself to giving the rabbits a shot(pun intended). I started out on the desert trail about 7am, the desert in the springtime is magical with everything being a wonderful assault on all your senses. I had only been on the trail for a couple minutes when the first cottontail flushed behind me and to the left. I instinctively swung and fired hitting the cottontail in the head and instantly killing it. I was PROUD of my first shot and decided to collect the rabbit on my way back to grandpa and his truck unless a coyote or something came along in which case I’d use the rabbit as bait for a bigger trophy. Over the next several hours I proceeded to kill 4 more cottontails all with head shots and not a peep out of them. I killed several big jackrabbits and other assorted desert vermin including a decent sized rattler but for some reason it was the scream of a cottontail that worried me. 😂

On my way back to grandpa and the truck I slowly approached the site of my first cottontail kill hoping to see a coyote or bobcat eating it. I crawled over the little rise to peek into the small wash where the dead rabbit was and I couldn’t believe my 12 year old eyes….there were 3 cottontails eating their buddy. I threw my rifle up and set the iron site on one of the little cannibals and it looked up at me with a bloody face…the 3 rabbits looked demonic with the blood of their fallen comrade staining their cute cuddly furry little faces. I killed 1 of the demon cannibals and kept returning to the site hoping for something bigger but that was it. I never worried about them screaming ever again after that surprisingly gruesome encounter…😂

Great story. Thanks.

Never a cottontail but when younger ive made a few whitetails holler. grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was stationed in Kodiak, I attended the Ducks Unlimited banquet. At the banquet they had a duck calling contest. It was taken seriously and the winner garnered serious cred. The contestants were shielded from the audience and judge. This will not likely come as a surprise to anyone, but I am not very good at duck calling, among the many, many things I am bad at. When my turn came, I hammered that predator (rabbit squeal) call for all that it was worth. At first there was an uneasy quiet in the audience, then when they realized what was going on, they erupted in laughter.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep i have heard the bunny scream .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Was going to shoot underneath a Cottontail that thought he was hiding. I only wanted him to run like Rabbits do. Evidently my .22 was shooting high. He crumpled and let out a wail that I will NEVER forget.I feel terrible about it every time I think about it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.