Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
I've got a ruger mark 3 .22 target with 5.5 inch bull barrel. I'm looking to put on crimson trace laser grips. Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to get them? Also, what are your opinions on them? I will be using them for coon hunting so accuracy is a must for up to 30 yards. Do they stay accurate or does recoil throw them off?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Get a red dot

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To many things can obscure the laser (branches, brush etc... when hunting), they work great for up close and personal use, but for most hunting needs I agree with passport that you would be better served by a red dot or similar optic.

W
OP Offline
W
I don't want to put on a red dot due to the size of them and I prefer open sights for day time shooting.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
How about a mini red dot? I borrowed this photo from another forum and will be fixing up my MKII like this. It is a Burris Fastfire with their mount specifically for Ruger MK I,II,III.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u59/bison7704/mk2withburris.jpg

IC B2

W
OP Offline
W
That looks nice, but I want the open sights for shooting during the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can see why you might want a laser for hunting coons at night. I disagree about things getting in the way of the laser. If that is happening, you probably don't have a shot anyway.

Laser Grips have been around for quite a while now, and I have yet to hear of any complaints about them. You see people using them on .45s and .357s all the time. I expect they would do what you want with no problems.

Don't write off the mini dot sight for daytime shooting, though. I recently added one similar to the Burris sight shown in that earlier post to my MKIII - and I'll never go back to open sights on that gun. (Unless it breaks wink )

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by mrgrinch
How about a mini red dot? I borrowed this photo from another forum and will be fixing up my MKII like this. It is a Burris Fastfire with their mount specifically for Ruger MK I,II,III.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u59/bison7704/mk2withburris.jpg

Wow!! That's the first time I've ever seen one of those and that looks sharp! I'm sold on dots for my ARs so that might be just the ticket for one of my Mark IIs....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It would've perfect if it mounted on the front of the action and allowed the use of the irons as well but it definitely looks worth a try "as is"..... wink

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a MkII with the crimson grips and it is always with me when big game hunting for potting grouse and wabbits. It shines with those CT grips but there is one big disadvantage to them you should be aware of. Because of the placement off to the side and below the bore, there is only one range that it is spot on. I have mine set for 25 yards as that is the range that I get most shots at, + or - 5 yds is good to go. Any closer or farther and I use the irons. Besides that little issue, I would highly recommend them and I, too, prefer the easy carry and lines of the pistol w/o scope or red dot. For coons I think it would be great. Hope this helps.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've been looking at the mini red-dots myself for the MKII. I'm in the process of accurizing the thing and a dot sight is what I'm lusting after next.
Are there any other opinions to what brands to go with out there? There's the Burris($200), Pentax(cheap $65), JPoint($265), Trijicon($300), Docter ($400+!). Amongst others I'm sure.
Sorry for the hijack.
Thanks for posting a picture of the mini dot. It solved my curiosity for the actual size mounted on the Ruger. Just what I've been looking for. Some of those red dot's out there are honkers!

Last edited by kcTbear; 12/07/07. Reason: added excitement
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
walkerdog, just for a price reference I was at the local gun show this morning and saw your Crimson Trace for the Ruger...... $209. Puyallup, WA

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by kcTbear
walkerdog, just for a price reference I was at the local gun show this morning and saw your Crimson Trace for the Ruger...... $209. Puyallup, WA

Thank you for the info. I think I will be trying these out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by walkerdog101
Originally Posted by kcTbear

Thank you for the info. I think I will be trying these out.

for $200 i put tritium sights on my 1911... if there is enough light to see the target, i can hit it.... john w

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by walkerdog101
I don't want to put on a red dot due to the size of them and I prefer open sights for day time shooting.

Get a red dot like a bushnell in QD rings, then you can remove to use your open sights.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I just put a Barska red dot on mine. It has four different reticules including a one mm dot and a 10. It's a heads up display,like a little TV screen. Sighted it in last night and was hitting a 4" swinger off hand in no time. And all for less than
$70.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Red dot

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Just read a super article on Ultra Dot, used by lot of pistol pros.
Got really good reviews.

W
OP Offline
W
Been shooting mine with the crimson trace grips. THis thing is awesome for night shooting now! Haven't tried during the day other than to fine tune the sights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure where you're at, but in Kansas it is illegal to use any sight that projects a light onto the animal. If thats something that concerns you, you might check out your states laws to check the legality. Kansas is also a bit backwards on things though, no use of artifical light while hunting coyotes at night which I do know is legal elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.