Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18129262 02/12/23
D
dassa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Can you guys tell a difference in the meat of divers vs puddle ducks?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes. fish ducks are ineatable.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tater74
yes. fish ducks are ineatable.

My take as well. Gumbo maybe?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes. Divers - stuff like canvasbacks, redheads, ringbills, and such are a little more liver-y than puddle ducks. They're still good, but not as mild as a good, young mallard drake or woodie that is fattened up on acorns.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Absolutely
That said, divers need to brine a bit before gumbo. There is NOTHING better than an early fall puddle duck that has not stored a bunch of lactic acid in muscle tissue from flying. The birds we shoot in Canada/Dakotas taste more like prime beef than they do waterfowl.
The birds I shoot here in SC in Dec/Jan taste like ducks... good but not great.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If cooked in the skillet or on the grill, yes.. i usually throw em in a gumbo mixed up with other ducks and i cant tell one from the other

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In the past when I shot more divers, I would set them aside for mixing in the next batch of smoked sausage. In that manner they become indistinguishable.

Hell, I can make merganser or coot taste good by way of a snack stick… but I rarely shoot them anymore.

Semper Fi

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Coastal LA, it amazes me how the ducks (puddlers and divers) taste sooo much better than my local birds….more like the ducks we kill in Canada. Not sure if it’s the feed, but they don’t seem to have the lactic build up. Maybe they loaf there for long enough?

D
dassa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Okay, then my memory is correct. Growing up we mostly shot divers, and I thought they were the nastiest thing I've ever eaten. After I got married, someone told me to cook ducks just til medium rare, and they tasted great, but they were puddle ducks.

So I didn't know if it was how my mom cooked them, or if it was just the different types of duck tasted different.

It came up this year cause a new place I'm hunting has mostly divers, and I didn't feel like shooting them since I remember how horrible they were.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^typically, yes. However, I’d take a coastal LA diver (especially a canvasback) over a TN/MS/OH Valley puddle duck, any day. I know….flies in the face of most of my life duck hunting, but if the divers are eating straight grain for a month or more, maybe that’s it?

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/14/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You canABSOLUTELY RUIN a duck by overcooking. I love them and will not eat one that is overcooked... Rare/med rare and let REST before consuming... just like good beef.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Soak the breasts covered in milk or buttermilk overnight in a Tupperware container. It changes the protein that gives the meat the liver flavor.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Canvas backs and redheads have never been fishy to me. I throw them in bags with puddle ducks when cleaning.

Just cook it rare.

D
dassa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dukxdog
Soak the breasts covered in milk or buttermilk overnight in a Tupperware container. It changes the protein that gives the meat the liver flavor.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Canvas backs and redheads have never been fishy to me. I throw them in bags with puddle ducks when cleaning.

Just cook it rare.
I'll have to shoot a few and try it next year.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Just cook it rare.

The Canvasback is regarded as a regal duck. Big, pretty and good on the table. I think they were the market hunter's prize. I don't see many where I hunt, but wish that I did.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
You canABSOLUTELY RUIN a duck by overcooking. I love them and will not eat one that is overcooked... Rare/med rare and let REST before consuming... just like good beef.

Yep. Cook them fast and hot. I need to try the milk/buttermilk on non-puddle ducks.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Canvasbacks/Redheads eat vegetation not minnows or mollusks.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One of the best meals I have eaten was merganser twirled over a driftwood fire and basted with some sort of lard, probably whale blubber for all I know as it was in what is now called Nunavut.

Of course, this was after spending 45 days canoeing to get there of which 3 days was on pretty meager rations as were were wind bound with an onshore wind keeping us from paddling down Hudson's Bay. An Inuit came by, shot, and prepared a pair of mergansers for us. It was manna from Heaven compared to what we could cobble together from what was left in the backpacks which was mostly dried vegetables and dehydrated deserts.

Back in the market hunting days, canvasbacks were the premier ducks with a price of $2.50 each in a reprint of a price list I saw from one of the major Minnesota migratory lakes years back. Redheads and Mallards were $2.25 each though mallards could dip to $2.00 for some reason I don't recall.

Teal were around $1.50, other puddle ducks (other than widgeon) $1.25, and divers $.75- $1.15 each depending on species and time of year. Herons, egrets, and cranes were also listed but they were less than mallards. I don't recall seeing anything regarding geese, either they weren't desired or they weren't common to the area at the time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We shoot a lot of redheads here on the south ,TX Gulf Coast - I’ve tried cooking ‘em all the ways mentioned and have given up. Ruined a pot or two of gumbo with ‘em (it was edible, but not near as good as without them nasty things in it). I grew up in NE Ark and mallards and woodies were the majority of what I shot and ate (usually grilled to med rare)… miss those days!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mississippi puddlers, grilled with a compound butter. Fantastic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
207 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.