Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tonight I acquired an AR in .260 Remington, built on what appears to be a matched SI Defense upper and lower set. They fit together nice and snug. I knew the man who put this gun together and unfortunately he's no longer around. I had thought he built the gun on Aero Precision receivers, but I obviously misremembered.

So what about SI Defense? I can't recall the last time I ever read or heard the name.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

ARIC

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A .260 AR would be sweet! Not much that it wouldn't be good for here in TX. How much does it weigh bare?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A bit heavy at 8-3/4 pounds. I'm exploring handguards as I don't care for what's on it, but not because of weight...I may change the buttstock as well.

It's gonna be my daytime piggy killer. I figure it'll reach out as far as I can see so it'll wear a conventional optic.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CopperSolid

Those Falkor Defense AR rifles are stupid heavy. The 6.5CM is 10.25 lbs! Add a scope base, scope, full 10 rd mag, sling and you're lugging around a 12lb. log.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's the main reason I've never owned a large framed AR before. I want to take a little weight off IF I can do it economically. It has a composite PRI handguard on it now and I don't like it even if it weighed half an ounce. Not sure I'll keep the buttstock as well. The barrel is a Lilja and I know it shoots, so it stays, weight be damned. It's probably gonna weigh ten pounds or better all ready to rock no matter what I do, so I'll just have to get used to it.

Don't be the darkness.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You might look at the fore end and Mission First Tactical minimalist stock that POF use.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gsganzer

Those Falkor Defense AR rifles are stupid heavy. The 6.5CM is 10.25 lbs! Add a scope base, scope, full 10 rd mag, sling and you're lugging around a 12lb. log.

Yep. But that was the answer to the Op's question.

SI --> Falcor

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gsganzer

Yep. But that was the answer to the Op's question.

SI --> Falcor

Yes it is, thank you. Any other relevant info or discussion is welcome too.

Don't be the darkness.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Yes it is, thank you. Any other relevant info or discussion is welcome too.

I don't have any other info, but do remember the name SI from back in the day. A snug fit lower and upper means they put some work into it.
You're in a better position to let the forum know how it shoots.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It should be ready for its first handloads soon. Here it is in its [almost] final form. I shaved a little weight off with the new Odin Works handguard and the Magpul fixed stock and am down to 8.4 pounds bare-assed naked. Soon a Geissele SSA-E trigger will arrive to replace the Rock River NM 2-stage currently installed. The barrel is a Lilja 1:8 of about 19-1/2 inches and I fully expect MOA performance or better even though I won't need that for slaughtering Central Texas piggies. I think I'll scope it with a Super Slam 3-15x50 duplex with illuminated dot...that should be perfect for an all-around dawn-to-dusk hunting rifle. I've selected 120-grain Ballistic Tips and will be loading my first trial loads in the next few days...I'm sure they'll work out fine.

For full darkness I have a couple of less powerful alternatives equipped with thermal scopes. I'm fully covered now, for sure!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't be the darkness.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RiverRider
It should be ready for its first handloads soon. Here it is in its [almost] final form. I shaved a little weight off with the new Odin Works handguard and the Magpul fixed stock and am down to 8.4 pounds bare-assed naked. Soon a Geissele SSA-E trigger will arrive to replace the Rock River NM 2-stage currently installed. The barrel is a Lilja 1:8 of about 19-1/2 inches and I fully expect MOA performance or better even though I won't need that for slaughtering Central Texas piggies. I think I'll scope it with a Super Slam 3-15x50 duplex with illuminated dot...that should be perfect for an all-around dawn-to-dusk hunting rifle. I've selected 120-grain Ballistic Tips and will be loading my first trial loads in the next few days...I'm sure they'll work out fine.

For full darkness I have a couple of less powerful alternatives equipped with thermal scopes. I'm fully covered now, for sure!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nice rifle. The Lilja won't disappoint...nice grouping ahead!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Took it out this morning and it did not go well.

The rifle was built by my neighbor about ten years ago. The guy was generally pretty good with his hands but I think he took advice from the wrong people more often than he realized. I remember there were issues with the rifle after it was built, and I guess the whole thing just slid to the back burner and never was addressed. I didn't realize that there were still problems with it.

I had feeding issues all morning. I had to chamber the first round of each magazine manually, then insert the mag. I was using the P-Mags that my neighbor always favored and did not have the single ASC mag with me...I think the P-Mags may be part of the issue. Also, a bit of the feedramp profile of the barrel extension is a bit proud and may be catching the nose of the bullets. Overgassing seems to be an issue...ejected brass flies to about the 2 o'clock position. All the while I was wondering why the bolt catch would not work, and a while ago I discovered that the gun has the wrong buffer in it. It is not only probably too light at 2.95 ounces, but it is too long (3-1/4") and won't allow the bolt full travel in the buffer tube. I have an Odin Works adjustable .308 Carbine buffer on the way. Maybe, just MAYBE that will cure the feeding problems...but for the doubt I also ordered a couple more mags. I've never been a P-Mag fan.

The trial handloads I fired were not so good...everything was looking too hot (and some undoubtedly WAS too hot), and the feeding difficulties were very distracting. There was actually a few positive signs, but I wasn't really in the game this morning. After analysis of my velocities I've made some adjustments and will try again in a week or three.

I'll get this thing ironed out, one bug at a time. I expect it to shoot bugholes.

Don't be the darkness.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Is the RRA trigger for sale? I'm always looking for deals on more of them at reasonable prices. They are pretty dang good triggers. Have won quite a few matches with them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Is the RRA trigger for sale? I'm always looking for deals on more of them at reasonable prices. They are pretty dang good triggers. Have won quite a few matches with them.

Sure. Send me a PM. Or I'll send you one.

Last edited by RiverRider; 02/13/23.

Don't be the darkness.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check the gas block alignment while you're at it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good looking rig and I’m sure when you get the bugs worked out it will be a great piggy killer.

Consider installing one of the new Arkin LW 4-16 scopes. I just ordered one for my RRA that’s a bit on the heavy side too. I’m ok with the weight for that one.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I received my new buffer today. I unpacked it and installed it anticipating the feel of a fully functional rifle only to be disappointed AGAIN. I should have anticipated this knowing full well that my neighbor assembled the gun with the wrong buffer...naturally it had the wrong spring, too. Fully compressed it was too long to allow the bolt to travel fully rearward in the buffer tube, so off on a search for information I go. I found a ton of bad advice (imagine that, on the internet!), then when I ran into good info it was not too difficult to identify it as truth.

As a way of testing I cut an AR15 carbine spring to a length that would allow the bolt to be locked back. With the buffer set up with maximum optional weight it still will not chamber a round by operation of the bolt catch/release (although it seems to come pretty close) but it does seem to do okay when the charging handle is pulled all the way back and released. The new spring may tie up the loose ends here. I hope so...I can't [yet] imagine what else I'll need to replace. I think the only additional change that might be necessary would be an adjustable gas block but I'd rather avoid that if possible. We'll see.

So now I am waiting on a small collection of AR-308 buffer springs.

Don't be the darkness.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Check the gas block alignment while you're at it.

^^^^^^
Masarcoppersolidpoo...

Shunned
Unaccepted
Irrelevant
86,d too many times to even count

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 02/18/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d really consider just taking the thing apart and starting over with proper assembly.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.