Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
R
ro1459 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just got a look at the 2023 Colorado brochure and saw that the price of a Cow elk tag has jumped from a little over $500 last year to $760.99 this year. The brochure says that for the $760.99 for can draw for a Cow tag and either sex tag and purchase a bull tag (in OTC areas) all for the same price.

Has anyone else seen this and is this a misprint?

Thanks for your input.

GB1

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I saw that in the CPW Commission meeting minutes a couple months ago. All about the money.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I’ve been trying to figure out how they can charge out of state fees on federal land. Edk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Inflation hits every sector

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's non-res license is $185 and an elk tag is $650. The problem isn't so much the cost as the availability. There are some OTC tags but they're all put on sale in Dec and they sell out the same day. Lottery tags are drawn in June and it's a lottery with very low success odds. There is no point system so each year it's a free for all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This has been beat to death. Wildlife is held in trust for the residents of that state.

Want a private land owner to own the animals on his deeded ground?

Originally Posted by ERK
I’ve been trying to figure out how they can charge out of state fees on federal land. Edk

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NM has legislation this session that is sure to pass raising fees across the board.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by SLM
NM has legislation this session that is sure to pass raising fees across the board.
Yup, I wonder how much an elk, deer, oryx, and especially bighorn sheep tags are going to be.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by SLM
Yup, I wonder how much an elk, deer, oryx, and especially bighorn sheep tags are going to be.

How’s elks?

Proposed increases. In typical NM fashion, they want to discount lic. fees to welfare recipients.

https://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/23%20Regular/bills/senate/SB0254.pdf

Eta; NM has not had any increases since 2006 so it’s needed IMO.

Last edited by SLM; 02/14/23.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by ro1459
I just got a look at the 2023 Colorado brochure and saw that the price of a Cow elk tag has jumped from a little over $500 last year to $760.99 this year. The brochure says that for the $760.99 for can draw for a Cow tag and either sex tag and purchase a bull tag (in OTC areas) all for the same price.

Thanks for your input.

Was looking at it this morning. Guess I'll put in for Mule Deer, which ain't cheap either.

There has to be a tipping point where non-resident applications will decrease, and these inflated prices will bring in less revenue, but I don't know.

Will be putting in for Mule Deer and mainly trying to get my resident buddy an Elk.

We have a good time and that's what counts but eventually this will be beyond my means.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ERK
Because it is written into law at the federal level.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
This has been beat to death. Wildlife is held in trust for the residents of that state.

Want a private land owner to own the animals on his deeded ground?

Originally Posted by ERK
He'd bitch if a landowner got to set the price of a license at whatever they wanted too, even though he apparently thinks whoever owns/manages the land should set the license price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The weirder one is how Minnesota sells weapons tags.

U can only hunt within one season per tag, but only one buck per year.

Ouch.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by SLM

How’s elks?

Proposed increases. In typical NM fashion, they want to discount lic. fees to welfare recipients.

https://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/23%20Regular/bills/senate/SB0254.pdf

Eta; NM has not had any increases since 2006 so it’s needed IMO.
Yeah, NM fee's do need to be increased and by the looks of the proposed increase in fee's it is not too bad.

As far as the welfare recipients getting a discount, not surprised at all. I think Senior citizens and Veterans deserve the same discount and maybe a bit more.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There has to be a tipping point where non-resident applications will decrease, and these inflated prices will bring in less revenue, but I don't know.
A couple months ago, Idaho put 30k deer and elk non-resident OTC tags on sale online. They had 64k people online at the same time to buy them, far more than anytime in the past, and it crashed the system. The demand is there and it's nowhere near any tipping point.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A couple months ago, Idaho put 30k deer and elk non-resident OTC tags on sale online. They had 64k people online at the same time to buy them, far more than anytime in the past, and it crashed the system. The demand is there and it's nowhere near any tipping point.

A sign that Idaho needs to jack up NR fees. I would happily pay more as a resident to make up the difference in revenue in exchange for less pressure from NR

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ro1459

Thanks for your input.

I'm all for it. Charge them $1000. Every year it seems the crowd in camp is more and more from out of state. I'd say it's about 50/50 the last few years. I pay $1000 for a truck license plate in CO - a year. Our taxes in CO, especially for small business, are extremely high. If want a cheap elk tag, by all means, move here, and buy a 3 bed/3 bath house for $1.2 million in the burbs that needs a remodel, pay the $1000 license plate fee on your truck, then pay all the other taxes. At that point, you've earned the "cheap" resident elk tag. Until then, look at your cost of living in midwest and be grateful all your other life expenses are reasonable.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 02/14/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Nonresident hunting has pretty much become a rich man's endeavor.

1Minute
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It seems that the cost of hunting is on the same upward spiral evident in everything we now purchase. Chances are we will soon face a hunting environment that the Europeans have experienced for hundreds of years. This has been said before but we need to focus on the wildlife available in our home states and stop the auction mentality that the F&G departments love to create and benefit from. The main driver and goal of our F&G department's is to grow the departments and true management of wildlife is the excuse they use for that. The only way to control that trend is to restrict the money flow!. Five day hunts (Sound familiar Colorado?) are absurd, I've been suck in a tent longer than that, unable to hunt because of severe weather. They are using the same techniques as wall street, create hype, and restrict availability so the price will rise to their benefit. It's a hard decision to make, staying in a person's home state, because we all want to hunt as much as we can but it's the only way to control those money hungry "Game Managers" running F&G departments. Telling everyone that 64,000 hunters flooded the web site in Idaho, true or not, just feeds into that mentality. Stay home and enjoy the wildlife resources available at reasonable cost!.
That said,
Good hunting
Lj

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Like it or not, supply and demand have to meet up. Its how society rations scarce goods.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,738
Posts18,457,613
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.