Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well i really dont have a "extra one" since i have seven rifles! grin there is no part number just HP. Don

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Marbles sights for these are marked V7, these have the same base as the V6 for the Visible Loaders but the V6's are about 3/8" taller. Measuring (2) V6'S, (2) V7's and (1) Lyman HP I come up with a hole spacing of 13/16", but the actual measurements varied from slightly under at 0.808 to right on at 0.812. I do not think this spacing is used on anything else. The clearance holes are the same on both the Marble's and are oversized even for the #8 screws at 0.193", so they position off the head of the screw making the correct size important. Standard screw diameters are; #5's - 0.125" and #8's - 0.164" with the oddball for the 425's about 0.168" measuring two original plug screws over the threads which usually runs slightly under the specified diameter.

The Lyman HP is the best one to get, it has the post centered between the mounting screw so it sits farther forward allowing a comfortable thumb position and allows the post to be much shorter. The designs of the Marble's and Watson do not allow for that narrow of hole spacing putting the sight in back of the holes.

The #5 screws for the Visible Loaders are the same size as most other Steven's except the 425's and there are several places that sell them, I think Apertures 'N' More is the cheapest - aperturesnmore The ones I bought have rounded heads that measure 0.251" and have very thin slots, 0.250" seems to be the standard on most tang sights and most tang sights also have oversized clearance holes so they position off the head diameter. For #8's I've found the lower price screws you get today, like in the Brownell's kits or the ones offered or ACE Hardware, have flat heads that run about 0.240" with very wide slots that do not look 'vintage', the heads have a slight bevel so they still center in the holes. The screws in the Pachmayr kits are better with thin slots and rounded heads, but still they run a little under at about 0.245" and they do not seem to sell them other than in complete 277 piece kits which contain more #6-48's than #8-40's.

Gene
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
That is the measurement i got also .168 for the stevens 425 screws. I wonder where a person would find such a screw? I tried the #8-40 screws and they were indeed too sloppy to tighten properly. Scratch my head now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you will be OK with the standard #8-40's even thought they are a little loose, I tried a few and tightened them as hard as I would in anything else without a problem.

Top are a couple of the ones from a Pachmayr kit, you can see the heads are slightly smaller than the hole -
[Linked Image]
The front one here is from Brownell's, it's even smaller with a head diameter of 0.240", I think some of the newer ones you get have a totally flat top. The rear screw is a #5-44 for Visible Loaders just loose in the hole to show a screw with the correct head size, I believe it is one I got from Apertures & More, the head diameter is 0.251".

I have three 435's and two needed work, I got frustrated while removing and replacing the hammer springs and took the time to make a spring compressor from some scrap steel I had laying around. The plan was to keep it very simple but it got more complicated as I kept trying to get it to work. Hammer springs are very easy to remove now so I no longer dread working on these.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gene
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
How ingenious is that. Thanks for the pictures of that handy tool.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brownells has 6-48 screws that are oversized. They even sell an oversize tap.

I couldn't find them in 8-40 at Brownells but maybe they do exist. Worth some more searching I would say.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The 8-40 screws i got from brownells were way too sloppy in the screw holes and would not tighten. I was afraid i would bugger up the hole threads?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think those are the same as some I tried, they were sloppy but I got them tight without stripping out the hole. Brownells' also sell unthreaded screw blank if you want to try and make your own - if you bought a split adjustable die you could get them a little over size, I don't think it would take much.
drillsandcutters.com/8-40
brownells.com/blank-screw-kit

You will have to chuck them in a drill or lathe and file an angle on the bottom of the heads. To keep from damaging the head when threading, hold them only by the shaft, once the die is started clamp on the threaded end. They're long enough you can thin them a ways to help the die start only leaving a short amount to have full threads. This will not give you deeper engagement but will make the thread thicker and stronger where they do contact.

Gene
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I will be fishing with a gunsmith tomorrow. I will run that by him to see if he has the stuff to do that. I know he has a stevens 425 in 30 remington

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
222 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,922
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.