-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the worst and longest was when an owl caught one behind my deer blind.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard it here and there, including the first cottontail I shot with a .22.

Last time was maybe 5 years ago near Worland WY, and the desert was just full of little cottontails. Camped that night at a BLM site and heard a couple of them get killed by something overnight.

Was putting a new frame under a grain trailer by Coleta Illinois a few years ago. took a break and shut the welder down to hear the sounds of a screaming cottontail right behind the machine shed I was working in

Ex and I were camping in Iowa's yellow river state forest when we heard a rabbit start screaming. Ex grabbed a flashlight and said she was gonna stop it. Just then a bobcat started screaming from the other direction and the ex was quickly back at the fire with a blanket around her.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Funny that you bring this up because I haven’t thought about this topic for 40+ years. When I was a little boy my grandpa and I were real close and we’d spend all summer traveling across the country. Grandma and grandpa had decided to buy property in Apache Junction Arizona so we started spending a lot of time there, especially spring and summer. I was always into guns, hunting, fishing and everything outdoor related with my earliest memories of shooting BB guns and archery. I had a bolt action 22 that mom and dad bought me for Christmas when I was 9 and that’s what I toted in the desert around Apache Junction for rabbits. I had read about cottontails screaming and I absolutely dreaded that. I literally stayed awake at nights fearing a bad shot and having to hear them scream. I spent more time practicing with my 22 kicking a ball and hitting it on the move like a fleeing rabbit. Finally the day came that I was comfortable enough with my shooting that I committed myself to giving the rabbits a shot(pun intended). I started out on the desert trail about 7am, the desert in the springtime is magical with everything being a wonderful assault on all your senses. I had only been on the trail for a couple minutes when the first cottontail flushed behind me and to the left. I instinctively swung and fired hitting the cottontail in the head and instantly killing it. I was PROUD of my first shot and decided to collect the rabbit on my way back to grandpa and his truck unless a coyote or something came along in which case I’d use the rabbit as bait for a bigger trophy. Over the next several hours I proceeded to kill 4 more cottontails all with head shots and not a peep out of them. I killed several big jackrabbits and other assorted desert vermin including a decent sized rattler but for some reason it was the scream of a cottontail that worried me. 😂

On my way back to grandpa and the truck I slowly approached the site of my first cottontail kill hoping to see a coyote or bobcat eating it. I crawled over the little rise to peek into the small wash where the dead rabbit was and I couldn’t believe my 12 year old eyes….there were 3 cottontails eating their buddy. I threw my rifle up and set the iron site on one of the little cannibals and it looked up at me with a bloody face…the 3 rabbits looked demonic with the blood of their fallen comrade staining their cute cuddly furry little faces. I killed 1 of the demon cannibals and kept returning to the site hoping for something bigger but that was it. I never worried about them screaming ever again after that surprisingly gruesome encounter…😂

We see that with sage rats (Belding’s ground squirrel). They’ll drag a dead buddy off into a burrow to eat later.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a young kid I used to ride the tractor with dad or grandpa while they were mowing alfalfa for hay. When a younger rabbit would run out I'd jump off and try to chase it down. Caught a few, the first time one of them screamed it was a real eye opener.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep.

Two coons fighting can make a ruckus too

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
https://youtu.be/XcxKIJTb3Hg

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jackrabbits also...

Second deer I killed was on the other side of a fallen log, just his back showing, when I shot him he went straight down out of sight, spined him... he screamed worse than any rabbit for about 30 seconds before he died... eerie.

Kent

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by krp
Jackrabbits also...

Second deer I killed was on the other side of a fallen log, just his back showing, when I shot him he went straight down out of sight, spined him... he screamed worse than any rabbit for about 30 seconds before he died... eerie.

Kent

Foxes screech like cats.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
Jackrabbits also...

Kent

Had a big boar hog I shot in the spine from above while in a tree blind scream like that. Drew my 44 Mag Ruger Super BlackHawk and shot him as he walked underneath my bow blind. Eerie sound. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard a rabbit scream twice in my life. One night in the summer I woke up and one was screaming in the woods next to the house. A fox probably got it. I knew the sound because I've heard a recording of it, and IIRC it was called a "Dying rabbit call". I guess it's used in predator calling. Second time was a real small young one that got behind a small wire mesh fence behind the garage with only one way out. I cornered it out of curiosity and snatched it up and was gonna put it in the woods. That thing began screaming and it wasn't even hurt. Guess they also scream out of terror.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
I've heard it here and there, including the first cottontail I shot with a .22.

Last time was maybe 5 years ago near Worland WY, and the desert was just full of little cottontails. Camped that night at a BLM site and heard a couple of them get killed by something overnight.

Was putting a new frame under a grain trailer by Coleta Illinois a few years ago. took a break and shut the welder down to hear the sounds of a screaming cottontail right behind the machine shed I was working in

Ex and I were camping in Iowa's yellow river state forest when we heard a rabbit start screaming. Ex grabbed a flashlight and said she was gonna stop it. Just then a bobcat started screaming from the other direction and the ex was quickly back at the fire with a blanket around her.

Yellow River also has bears and wolves. Probably cougars as well. I want to camp there but the wife wants running water and flush toilets.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yep I hear it every time I go coyote hunting!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I was a young kid I rode on the ladder of the combine and when a rabbit flushed out of the standing wheat into the wheat stubble, I bailed off and caught many of them, and lots of them screamed bloody murder just from me catching them.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It’s kinda like a crying baby. It’s nerve racking!

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I shot the face off one with a .222 once, and it ran at me and tried to climb my leg screaming the whole time. Stuff of nightmares. I think I'll lung shoot 'em from now on!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my Dad was attacked by a Jackrabbit he cornered one time.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, many times, but not often in recent years. Last time I heard a rabbit scream was at night in the E. Kootenays of British Columbia and I'm sure it was an owl grabbing a snowshoe hare. I grew up rural and hunting a lot in E. WA when jack rabbits and cottontails were plentiful, plus we raised domestic rabbits that sometimes will scream when you merely pick them up. I remember a high pitched cottontail at the old Hover town site that we cornered in a basement and it screamed a squeeky note I will never forget. I don't like the sound, though have called a lot of critters with it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
walked through a partially cut corn field into the woods and climbed my stand before daylight. Soon as I sat down heard the god awfulest screaming exactly where I had just walked through the corn. Don't know what got it but it wasn't a quick death.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Yes. I snuck up on my belly to see what was happening, and stuck my head up.
Some poor rabbit had got caught in a snare.
It was whipping around in the air like a slow motion helicopter thing, attached to some sort of automatic snare trap box.
I heard a gunshot and the dirt kicked up next to my head.
I crawled back outta there.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, the people in the dorm weren’t very happy with me blowing my screaming cottentail call in the hall.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,875 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,478
Posts18,451,845
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.