Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
What is a good brand of camera that sends pics to your phone? Does it cost a monthly fee? How does that all work? Do you like them? Are they worth the trouble? I haven’t used cameras in years, got tired of fooling with them.

Last edited by hanco; 02/15/23.
GB1

C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
We’ve used cuddelinks, MoultrieMobile, exodus and now Tactacam Reveal. By far the Tactacam are the easiest to setup and most reliable. Use solar panels to save on batteries. Although 12 AA Duracells seem to do just fine for about 3 months.

Make sure you get the right SD Cards. Sandusky Extreme pro 32gb I think.

I use the intermediate plan. 500 pics per month for each of 9 cams. The cams will use each others data if one uses all photos and it’s been fine. About 75 per month is the fee

There is a feature to load photos in HD that is 5$ for 50 hd photos.

I have had good luck getting the Verizon cams to pick up service in weak areas.

We run them on the Missouri property and here at home in PA. Nice to see what’s going on without walking in to check cams. Being able to monitor a property 900 miles away is priceless

In the end they all have a few pros and cons. But were it me looking to get in the game it would be Tactacam and MoultrieMobile in that order. Cuddles links are a pain to setup and the exodus eats batteries.

Last edited by CBB; 02/15/23.

Hunt...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the Tactacam Reveal with a solar panel. We had three of them last year in MS and used the strap to easily move & mount them on various trees. This was the only brand we ever had so no comparisons. But if my technically-challenged buddy Dwight can setup & operate one, I have a high level of confidence most people can.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hanco...
I have a good friend that is pricey to free cameras. He told me to get the Tacticams... I got 3 last year off eBay (new) for about 65 each during the summer when no one wanted them. Could not be more pleased. Will probably pick up a couple more this year. Totally programable by your smartphone for everything. My cheap batteries lasted 3-4months only sending pics a couple of times a day. Let me know if you need any info... I'm sold.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 02/15/23.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have the Tactacam Reveal and it work’s really well. Good pics both day and night, batteries are on their 4th month. I’ve gotten clear pics as far out as 80 feet.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve used older Moultrie models and had good results with all but the VX-6000 which doesn’t seem to work well in extreme cold. I’m running 4 of the newer Moultrie Edge cams with no complaints. Battery life is dependent on how often you have it transmitting pics. I use longer interval settings to conserve battery life. I have no use for instant photo transmission with as many pics as I get some days. Several of my buddies like the Spypoint cams.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We use Tactacam and Spypoint. As was said, the Tactacam needs a specific SD Card to operate correctly. Spypoint customer service sucks and must be updated in the field occasionally. All in all both work pretty good with Tactacam having an edge in useability and receiving signal service.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanted to buy some Tacticam units but couldn't find any. A buddy was using Muddy cameras and I bought 3. They've been performing well, so long as I can get a signal, which can be really spotty in my area. Lots of spots on my place won't even get one bar on my phone.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Received a SpyPoint as a Christmas gift, had it up on the 26th.
Get 100 free pics month.

No issues so far.

FJB & FJT
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Bought 2 of the MoultrieMobile edge . No sd cards to worry with, not tied to any one network.
So far they have worked well for me.
Ronnie

IC B3

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Thank you all for the replies, birthday in a couple weeks, gotta get Wifey on this soon

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will also add... The best part for me is not actually having to pull the sd cards - Ido everything I can to LIMIT my intrusion. This helps immensly

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hanco they are worth it to keep track of things at the hog traps . stops a lot of checking empty ones

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Another vote for the Tactacam Reveal

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I run 11 Reconyx Cellulars that are expensive but you get what you pay for, you don't miss any pictures and fast transmission along with a 5 year warranty and great customer service
These are low resolution pics you can request high resolution for an extra charge or down load them off the SD card

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Check cell service where you’re going to use them. If it’s spotty, you might want to pass. I don’t like SPYPOINT. MoultrieMobile was ok. I like getting the instant pics, but it’s almost cheating. I’ve got mixed feelings about them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like being able to change the timer delay on the fly. If some hogs move in and start homesteading, I can easily bump the delay timer up to 2-3 minutes between pics. If bucks are rutting, I can set the timer much shorter and catch more deer on camera. The instant pic functionality has helped me before with hogs, as they'll sometimes mill around long enough for me to sneak in on them. Not so with deer, as they are usually on the move much more.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I will also add... The best part for me is not actually having to pull the sd cards - Ido everything I can to LIMIT my intrusion. This helps immensly
This. With a solar unit I can put a camera up and leave for 3 or 4 months, maybe longer and never have to enter an area. Very good if you are watching bedding areas.

Looking at some cellular options other than Tactacam which I really like.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My SIL talked me into a cellular camera system this last year. We went with Cuddebacks with Solar panels. The data plan with Verizon, I believe, was $120 a year. The system worked flawlessly, sending pics to my PC and his phone. He lives about 2 and a half hours south of me. Had 4 cameras around the property linked to a single sending unit. Solar panels are the way to go. No replacing batteries. We did have a couple cameras fail due to water leaks during the year. These were replaced by the company without question. The only downside was that the cameras wouldn't link up well in heavy pines. According to the SIL, the data signal wavelength is pretty close to the length of red pine needles so they are very efficient in blocking the data transfer.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tried the first gen Reveal and it sucked. 2 cameras for 3 months- 0 pics sent.
Traded those for the Gen 2 and those have been flawless. The new Pro model looks great too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.