Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I know there is currently a vari X II vs Freedom thread currently going on. I purchased and older BRNO chambered in 338-06 that has a Vari X II currently sitting on top. The glass looks really clear to my eyes. The thing is, I got used to ballistic type reticles and like the Burris type. Would I be giving up quality of glass if I sell the Vari X II and replace it with a FF II ? My guess is with the newer coatings etc, the Burris won't be far behind the Leupold but I may be sadly mistaken. Along with that, what would you consider a fair price for the above mentioned scope? 3-9 power, gloss, very little ring marks, and a slight bit of wear/discoloration on the one side. 200? More? Less ? Thanks!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The FF-II has that dated Leupold beat in clarity and low light abilities. With that, the Leupold is still very serviceable and seem to bring close $250 depending on condition and buyer. Sometimes they bring $150 or so if they’ve turned purple, have ring marks, scratches etc.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry, thought I put it in the optics section....disregard, moving there

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think a Burris FF II has better glass than the old Vari-x II's. I have Burris FF II's on several rifles and think the ballistic plex reticle is easy to use and nice to have when hunting in open country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, the Burris FFII w/BDC reticle is one of the best value hunting optics available.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
The FFII BDC reticle is nice. The eye relief/eyebox is tolerable, but nowhere near a Vari-X II, or VXII, or VX2, especially with magnification turned up The Burris has more glare, and less contrast in low light or looking from bright light into a dark forest.

But it is a usable scope for hunting and a very good value for the price. A friend says his Droptine is a bit better glass than his FFII.

Are the FFII's even available anymore?

Last edited by alpinecrick; 02/15/23.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Neither are great but I'd take Burris FF II over a Vari-X II, VXII, VX2 or Freedom anytime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
IMO, the Burris FFII w/BDC reticle is one of the best value hunting optics available.

Yep!

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Yep!

Yep +1+

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have also tested the optics of a LOT of scopes on a consistently-lit optical chart, while setting all the scopes on the same magnification, and FFIIs did VERY well. In fact they did as well as well-known European brand costing 3-4 times as much.

I also know that many hunters who supposedly "test" scope optics don't bother to set them all on the same magnification--which is essential for a meaningful test--or on a consistent target in consistent light.

There are many other factors involved--but the other thing I also know from long experience with 3-9x40 Fullfield IIs is they hold up better than most other scopes in the same weight-class--including some far more expensive models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Having had a FFII, VXII and VX3i, the Burris lasted me 10+ years on top of a 7mm Rem Mag. It broke (moisture comprised but still held zero) when I fell down a mountain Elk hunting.

Burris glass was just as good as the VXII. The VX3I came later so haven’t seen them side by side.

Given those two options, FFII every time for me. I would agree it is one of the best values out there for $200 and change.

Isaiah 6:8

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a FFII 2-7 with the NP #4 reticle. Bright, clear, and easy to use, whether from the bench or on running game. Clarity seems equal, and maybe better, than my M8 Leupolds and my VariX III 2-8. And the price is definitely right.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am a major fan or was of the Vari X llc love them but IMHO you would be a fool to pay more than $100 for a used one that is in good mechanical condition. Simply because Leupold no longer fixes them or do they?? Read a post in the Optics forum where one poster said he sent in 3 Vari X llc scopes and they told him they were out of parts to repair them and weren't getting a parts resupply but would replace with a Freedom model.The Burris has as good or better quality with repair ability or replacement. Just something to think about in the past Leupolds warranty stood for alot, now what does that mean? Burris and Vortex stand behind there stuff. Like the Fullfield ll and recently bought a Droptine model to try..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 02/22/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of the Vari X IIc 3-9x40 scopes in gloss finish as well as more modern scopes, including the Burris FFII. For the money, the Burris can't be beat, period. Why do I have the older Leupolds? Because I have never, ever had one lose zero and the two I have are mounted on beautiful rifles from the 1970s with deep bluing and beautiful walnut full monte carlo stocks. The aesthetics of the Leupold beat the Burris FFII hands down. If aesthetics aren't an issue, get the Burris. If you're scoping your dad's rifle and want to keep it looking classy, get the Leupold. smile

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by selmer
I have a couple of the Vari X IIc 3-9x40 scopes in gloss finish as well as more modern scopes, including the Burris FFII. For the money, the Burris can't be beat, period. Why do I have the older Leupolds? Because I have never, ever had one lose zero and the two I have are mounted on beautiful rifles from the 1970s with deep bluing and beautiful walnut full monte carlo stocks. The aesthetics of the Leupold beat the Burris FFII hands down. If aesthetics aren't an issue, get the Burris. If you're scoping your dad's rifle and want to keep it looking classy, get the Leupold. smile

That's kinda the way I go too! But also admit to having too many rifles--the oldest a "first year production" Springfield .50-70 "trapdoor", the Allin conversion done in 1866. Of course, it doesn't have a scope--but have plenty of other rifles of various ages I try to scope with "period correct scopes." Bought a pre-'64 Model 70 Featherweight .270 a few months ago that, thought obviously hunted some, was in good and "all original condition, including the front sight hood.

But many of my (and Eileen's) more modern rifles have FFIIs on top....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well said selmer.

I am fortunate that my lasix surgery allowed me to use iron sights.

I sold the leupolds……..

Keepin the Burris

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have also tested the optics of a LOT of scopes on a consistently-lit optical chart, while setting all the scopes on the same magnification, and FFIIs did VERY well. In fact they did as well as well-known European brand costing 3-4 times as much.

I also know that many hunters who supposedly "test" scope optics don't bother to set them all on the same magnification--which is essential for a meaningful test--or on a consistent target in consistent light.

There are many other factors involved--but the other thing I also know from long experience with 3-9x40 Fullfield IIs is they hold up better than most other scopes in the same weight-class--including some far more expensive models.

POW

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve had one Leupold VX-II chit the bed but never had a problem with Burris FF-II’s or USA made Signature Selects. Anything can break, some more often than others (Blinding glimpse of the obvious).

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I’ve had a Burris “predator quest” ff2 that I’ve sent back 3 times for repair. Yes it was free of charge each time and they were prompt with the repairs and return. I have several Leupold vx2’s dating from the 70’s,80’s,90’s to now. All still working fine. This is my experience.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DeWman
I’ve had a Burris “predator quest” ff2 that I’ve sent back 3 times for repair. Yes it was free of charge each time and they were prompt with the repairs and return. I have several Leupold vx2’s dating from the 70’s,80’s,90’s to now. All still working fine. This is my experience.

Leupolds started having some problems around 2010, and did so for several years. It was bad enough for a while that I kept several copies of the repair-order sheet on hand, because so many needed to head to Oregon. It appears that's over now, but it happened.... But rarely ever had any problem with the older ones, which is partly why I still have several.

Have been using Fullfield IIs since shortly after 2000, including the Pentax scopes that were made by Burris in the USA back then, which were identical except for the name on the outside and slight changes in the exterior curves. They even had the Ballistic Plex reticle, but probably called it something else.

Have killed dozens of head of big game with 'em, and far more varmints. The only one I had to send back for repair was the LAST of the USA-made scopes I still owned, made around 2007--a standard 3-9x40. This happened a couple years ago, and they had it back to me within two weeks. But it had been on a lot of rifles, including some hard-kickers, including a .300 Weatherby.

All the rest have been the Philippine-made scopes, which some people thought would be lower quality--and a few still apparently think so today. This has not been my experience, and the reason is that Burris didn't just tell the Philippine factory make something like the FFII. Instead they shipped identical tooling to them, and then taught them how to use it.

I requested a 3-9x40 for a review as soon as possible, and it was just as good as the American-made model in every measurable way--except some of the machining was smoother in the "foreign" scope, perhaps because of the new equipment. Right now have nine of them on various rifles from a .17 HMR rimfire to a NULA .257 Weatherby Magnum, and have never had trouble with any.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 02/23/23.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 3,115 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.