Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What’s your favorite sight for you 45-70 lever rifle?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat an older Williams FP or steel Lyman paired with a Redfield sourdough front sight.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a steel Lyman on one and am thinking of putting it on the other. I’ll look into the sour dough sight. I have a brass post front sight on another lever rifle.

My newest 45-70 (Remington Marlin) still has factory sights. That’s the one I’m thinking of replacing front and back.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/16/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Hard to beat an older Williams FP or steel Lyman paired with a Redfield sourdough front sight.

Yep the older Williams if you can find one. Older Lyman prices higher than gold prices , lol. Skinner sights has different height front sights that you fit to your dovetail. Some sand paper and a few minutes time. Be sure to drive out and install the new ones from the proper side.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a steel Lyman on one and am thinking of putting it on the other. I’ll look into the sour dough sight. I have a brass post front sight on another lever rifle.

My newest 45-70 (Remington Marlin) still has factory sights. That’s the one I’m thinking of replacing front and back.

On my Remington Marlin (Guide Gun) the front sight was so loose I shifted under fire between two deer. The first dropped where she stood and the second I'm not sure where it hit because she made it into a swamp and was not recovered. Wondering what I did wrong, I looked over the rifle and the front sight was about half out of the dovetail. That's a long winded way to say Skinner. I replaced those sights and they are great for the guide gun. Fit wasn't an issue because the guide gun set replaces the entire front sight assembly. It did take some time with a file to get elevation right but after that the sights have been great. I haven't shot the gun in about a year though because the stock developed a crack in the tang and the ear at the receiver broke off. I'll replace those soon though.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You inspected your weapon before carrying it in the field.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I found I had an old Lyman steel aperture sight laying around and it is now on my second 45-70. I hate the sights that all manufacturers of lever guns seem to have installed. I've thrown many buckhorn sights in the trash where they deserve to be - total worthless sights IMO.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
I found I had an old Lyman steel aperture sight laying around and it is now on my second 45-70. I hate the sights that all manufacturers of lever guns seem to have installed. I've thrown many buckhorn sights in the trash where they deserve to be - total worthless sights IMO.

I'm also not a fan. I find that with a peep, I can keep focus on the front sight and the target but with the Buckhorn sights, my eye bounces focus from target to front sight to rear sight.

Joe, yes. That was the first time I'd had an issue with the sight being loose but after that it constantly moved with little force.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I had Andy from Skinner sights make me up the first Skinner Alaskan for my Marlin 45-70. The front sight is a flat post with a white line up the middle by XS Sights. A good set up for a hunting 45-70.

If it was mainly for bear protection here in Alaska I would go with a wide V with a tritium center line like the old British Express sights on my short barreled Rem. 870 and a Standard Dot XS front sight with a tritium insert.

I see better in low light with open sights compared to a peep with a big aperture.

I'm not sure who designs iron sights for rifles. Ruger comes close, but...........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I had Andy from Skinner sights make me up the first Skinner Alaskan for my Marlin 45-70. The front sight is a flat post with a white line up the middle by XS Sights. A good set up for a hunting 45-70.

If it was mainly for bear protection here in Alaska I would go with a wide V with a tritium center line like the old British Express sights on my short barreled Rem. 870 and a Standard Dot XS front sight with a tritium insert.

I see better in low light with open sights compared to a peep with a big aperture.

I'm not sure who designs iron sights for rifles. Ruger comes close, but...........

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like a Williams twilight peep that opens up as big as they sell coupled with brass bead. If you are looking East in the evening, even in the woods, that combo works way after dark. You will not be able to see the animal before you can’t see the sights. Now it doesn’t work that way looking west in the evening but any light at all at your back and those things just pop out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have an XS peep with a 3/32" white bead front on my early '95 Marlin and a Skinner set that came on my '95 Ruglin Trapper. My original 1885 Winchester wears a Lyman tang sight. I really like the Skinner set with the heavy blade/white line front, I may switch my other '95 to that style front if they make a dovetail version.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never had trouble with the factory sights. They're mostly what I've used over the years

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, preferring ghost rings, very comfortable using factory sights.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I installed a nice Skinner brass post front sight. This is the second lever gun with the Skinner post. I'm thinking I'll be doing more.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

I found that with a little help from a moto-tool I can convert the buckhorn sights to a shallow V. I’m going to try that on my Rossi 45 Colt.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't get much cooler than these. These are on a Winchester 1876 50 Express. Specially made by Freund Bros in Denver. Proof is in the shooting, 150 yards at a rabbit...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You can't get much cooler than these. These are on a Winchester 1876 50 Express. Specially made by Freund Bros in Denver. Proof is in the shooting, 150 yards at a rabbit...

You probably used a high BC bullet in that 1876. Nice rifle BTW.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/01/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I guess that I’m not into nostalgia …..as I’m using a low power, variable scope on my 45-70 GG. I can clearly see better through the scope for twilight shots than with irons, and have better accuracy in good light or from bench! If the scope fails….my GG still has irons for back-up. The scope would be replaced as quickly as is possible! I want my rifle to be as functional as possible in most any scenario. I see a rifle as a tool….not a museum display item! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.