Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking about getting me a mountain feist for a pet and hunting buddy. Anyone have a feist or cur that they hunt with?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A friend in Alabama has a black mouth CUR which he is absolutely crazy about. He uses it for squirrel hunting, deer tracking and recovery.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got a mountain cur laying by the bed right now. He is an excellent squirrel and coon dog as well as a fantastic, loyal pet.

I've owned a couple, they are wonderful dogs

Last edited by Dude270; 03/20/23.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Few friends have them. Either Feist , mountain cur or mix. Great little dogs and a lot of fun to hunt with

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a mountain feist, they are awesome dogs that are as fearless as they are loyal. The make great family pets and they are hell on squirrels. They LOVE to hunt.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a Fiest and a 1/2 Blackmouth 1/2 Catahoula when I was growing up. Both made great squirrel dogs. The Fiest is likely easier to handle than a 75lb cur. The Mountain Cur varieties are smaller/lighter.

Now with even more aplomb
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A cur(JJ) and a Parnell Carolina cur! VooDoo the little black PCC weighs 14 lbs

Last edited by fuzzytail; 03/20/23.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A cur(JJ) and a Parnell Carolina cur! VooDoo the little black PCC weighs 14 lbs
You look familiar - were you at the Toisnot hunt this past weekend?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No I wasn't but I do live in Pamlico Co and we have spoken about your family before in area.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No! But I have a squirrely dog!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This big guy could have made a dynamite squirrel dog, as he trees several times a week and follows them visually through the treetops, but he's Momma's favorite house dog and we can't have him wanting to hunt all the time. The sire was a blackmouth cur and the dam was a brindle cur mix of some sort. My dad has a littermate and he looks like a straight blackmouth. He's also a house dog that trees squirrels all the time. Guess it's in the bloodline.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I got a cat that catches squirrels , does that count ?

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Only if it barks when treed.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
No I wasn't but I do live in Pamlico Co and we have spoken about your family before in area.
That's right - we have indeed.
Do you know anyone in the area that breeds the Parnell line?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
James Parnell past a while back. NCcatfishermem over on NCHuntandfish May know of some one as they discussed that line over there. I will make some calls. Man in Georgia took over Mr Parnells dogs last year...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a akc registered mountain cur, brindle in color. She is hell on squirrels, coons, and armadillos. A wonderful dog for here on the farm because she loves to run and has plenty of room for activities. I prefer to hunt squirrels alone with a scoped, suppressed .22lr. However, I take her for a run almost every day so she can work off some energy. She is great with our many grandkids.

G
GRG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have had Labs all my life as we were always bird hunters. Hardly ever go bird hunting anymore as the numbers are terrible around us. I told my son yesterday my next dog would probably be a Feist as squirrel hunting is my favorite thing now. I like currs and if I still coonhunted that would be the dog but just for squirrels I think the smaller frame will be my pick. May have to make a trip to NC some day to get one. Do they have any lines that dont shed much? My wife is a stickler for that. A Feistdoodle maybe? Lol

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a friend that squirrel hunts a lot an he has Jack Russel's he say's they do great job for him. Rio7

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Hey fuzzytail! That little guy in the back of the truck holding the squirrel looks like he's having as much fun as anyone. Dogs and kids make everything more fun. Great photo!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
used to have a girl friend who did some squirrel stuff in the dark . does that count ? i always thought it was kinda fishy ? with a wink

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A buddy has jagdterriers. He'll on squirrels as are fox/rat/Jack Russell terriers. As a kid we had a bluetick/walker cross, he'll of a squirrel dog that trained a little rat terrier bitch to tree squirrels and coons.

My Airedale and buddies Airdales tree and have minimal shedding.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've always been interested in an Airedale. How are they towards other dogs and people?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine has only ever shown aggression towards 1 person, a guy knocking on doors selling something.

Wife says once I leave she seems more protective. I guess she stays in the same room with my wife of stays in the doorway to that room where she can see down the hallway. Several other friends have pups from her and an old dog of my buds, no aggression.

Only ones I have seen that were/are a little aggressive are my buddies 2 males and I think most of that may be bluffing.

I did see his big male bite a neighbor one day that had been tormenting him with a stick of firewood, watched the whole thing play out when Bear jumped up and but the dude square on the ass, my bud got ready to beat the hell out of the dog when I told him the neighbor had it coming.

As far as other dogs mine goes with me to other people places that have dogs but she knows those dogs too. If anything it's the "home" dog that can start something but that is their home so that can happen naturally. Usually a swift kick to the ass Knocks that off.

Ours has 3 other small dogs around her and she acts as mother with them. Our youngest, about a 1 year old Terrier/Weiner mix plays rowdy with the 88# Airdale, both have a blast.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/09/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Appreciate the info. I've always kinda wanted an Airedale for a pet and hunting dog but I've heard they could be a little aggressive.
What you say about yours doesn't sound a lot different than my mountain cur.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If my Airedale sees it, she will surely chase it up a tree. That is good enough for me! If she sees it fall, she will retrieve it. If not, she "hunts dead" very well for a 9 1/2 month old pup. I think she would take to it wonderfully!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We brought Piper into our home four years ago and she’s been a menace to the local suburban squirrel population for much of that time. She’s a Tennessee Treeing Brindle, which is a smaller Cur breed. Treeing squirrels comes naturally to her: Watching her stalk, point, and then chase and tree them is pretty amazing. With a bit of training I’d love to take her on some serious hunts.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate

Only if it barks when treed.

smile

I had a black and white "Holstein" cat that had squirrel hunting down to an art form. He would saunter casually toward the ground squirrel until it broke. Many squirrels will run 4 or 5 feet up the backside of the tree and peek around the opposite side

he would, with impeccable timing, etc.make a flying leap and just pluck them off the tree trunk when they did so.

Very impressive!

Then he ate tinsel off the Christmas tree. The end.

Last edited by las; 10/28/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hank the pudelpointer has been treeing squirrels in the back yard the past year at my new house. Over the last few months he's even started barking at them, but doesn't follow them through the tree tops well. I've taken him on a few hunts in the past, but on those he was just retrieving the squirrels I knocked down. Which he did splendidly. I do plan on getting him out later in the year for them. If just to make them bark at us! laugh

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.