Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Just checked on Scheels web site. No 30 caliber 180 grain round nose

No, but they have 150's. I'll bet that is what wyocoyotehunter bought at murdocs. Also, the picture I posted was of 150gr Hornady RN interlocks.
Yes sir you are correct. They have the 150's

I'm hoping they keep making them. I realize they are not as popular as pointy bullets, but they work pretty good in my new 30-30. I know my grandpa killed a lot of deer with his using similar bullets. I also bought some 170gr RN bullets from a local shop, but they only had 1 box of those on the shelf. I snagged them for about the same price as the 150's. What are you using the 180gr RN in?
308 winchester, remington 7600 carbine

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Boom’ . My mentor in my field used the 257 Roberts with round nose bullets. Watched him shoot 3 deer as fast as he could work the bolt. Not one moved. The 7x57 is a Ruger ranger. It just seems right to use the 175 Round nose for it. Located a 100 pcs of nickel brass to add to the visual.

GreggH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreggH
Boom’ . My mentor in my field used the 257 Roberts with round nose bullets. Watched him shoot 3 deer as fast as he could work the bolt. Not one moved. The 7x57 is a Ruger ranger. It just seems right to use the 175 Round nose for it. Located a 100 pcs of nickel brass to add to the visual.

GreggH

GreggH, I have some OLD nosler lathe turned 25 cal 117 gr. Semi-spitzer. Out of 20 rounds loaded in my .257 Roberts there is 7 left. Between my kids, other relatives me and a few misses, most of the 13 rounds fired accounted for just a 'few' deer and a coyote.

That bullet cartridge combo Seems to have something to it. Everyone that used it had no problem shooting and anchoring animals. At the shot deer either dropped or acted very obviously hit.

As some one mentioned earlier, 'there's magic in them'....

Last edited by boomwack; 02/24/23.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just checked on Scheels web site. No 30 caliber 180 grain round nose

No, but they have 150's. I'll bet that is what wyocoyotehunter bought at murdocs. Also, the picture I posted was of 150gr Hornady RN interlocks.
Yes sir you are correct. They have the 150's

I'm hoping they keep making them. I realize they are not as popular as pointy bullets, but they work pretty good in my new 30-30. I know my grandpa killed a lot of deer with his using similar bullets. I also bought some 170gr RN bullets from a local shop, but they only had 1 box of those on the shelf. I snagged them for about the same price as the 150's. What are you using the 180gr RN in?
308 winchester, remington 7600 carbine

I have one shop/honey hole that I go to every once in a while. I'll check with them and see if they have any. If they do, I'll grab some. This old guy I know has a lot of bullets in his shop. I go there and look around at all his stuff for hours. He's gotten wise and has raised a lot of his prices though. He also sells on gunbroker, but there is a good chance he has some.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Round nose bullets just plain work....

A lot of old timers used them in our youth, because they knew they worked.... back in the days where most hunting was not done at 500 yds.
People got closer...

Nowadays you're not a Real Stud, unless all the game you shoot is at 500 to 1000 yds or more...

Hunt use to be done to put meat in the freezer... Nowadays its to put bragging pictures on the internet and have arguments with everyone else on how better you are than them...

They are clueless that there are many more than aren't really impressed with all their bragging... no one who's been around here for a while, need to try and guess who the usual suspects are...

Anyone can shoot something at 50 yds and then put a sign in front of the dead animal that says 971 yds....and then post pics of it on the internet..
and start insulting anyone who questions it...

I don't compete with everyone else in who's the greatest hunter and shooter contest. I go out and if I bring home something... Great.
If I don't, I enjoy the fact of being able to go out in the field for the day, which beats sitting at anchor on the home front and making the wife happy that I am out raking leaves, mowing the lawn, fixing her car etc.

Life doesn't have to be as hard as some of the campfire clown bragging squad make it...

A good hit on an animal, a round nose has never ever failed me to perform... regardless of distance... fancy dancy bullets have failed me...
I look for something that does what a round nose does.. perform... NOT look for something that is expensive so I can brag to everyone on the internet on how I use bullets that are expensive..

After reading the optics arguments that are going on the last couple of days.... I have a new Arkin scope coming in a few days from cameraland... but I'll let the campfire in on a little secret... in my life time, I've taken more deer with a Tasco or low end Bushnell and Leupold VX 2, than all these fancier scopes.... I enjoy the features on these scope types, they are handy over at the range at distance, when the target isn't moving... in the field where the animal is moving...an old Tasco or Leupold is handier and quicker...

Being able to set up and have a nice rest... its not that hard to be able to shoot an unknowing animal at 600 yds, meandering along...
What do people want? To take down something or have a bragging rights contest on the internet for the next 6 weeks?

I'd wager there are a lot more folks like me, than the small number of braggards, and the groupies that follow them, you'll find on any internet site.
This one included....

In growing up, by junior high, I figured out that those that have to brag about everything and 'how good they are'.. are usually people who are covering up something they don't want others to know.... from how insecure they really are...to trying to cover up on having a ridiculously short dick.
Braggards always have something they are trying to cover up, by drawing attention away from their negatives in life... guys with the big 1 ton pickups, with the big lift and the big tires are another example...

How many game animals are shot at 1000 yrds each season, with someone who has a $3000 rifie with a $2000 scope on top vs the number taken with a 30/30 and a 4 power Tasco or Bushnell on top? I'd say a whole lot more of the latter than of the former...

Round Nose bullets WORK, but sadly spendier bullets SELL... in the end tho, either one accomplishes the same thing...

As long as they keep schidt honest, I could care less. I agree with you though, why do they always want to brag about the antlers they got? You can't eat the antlers. I'll shoot a spike bull or cow every chance I get, especially in the very low hunter's success rate area I hunt.

I've been playing with a new 30-30 rifle and that thing seems to like round nosed bullets well enough. I need to get a new/smaller front sight insert, or I'd post some pics of how it shoots. Not bragging of course. If guys think honest targets are bragging, they can kiss my azz.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS
Round nose bullets have been doing good for me. 170gr Hornady have never failed me at 8x57 velocities, the 196 Norma Dual cores have been one of the best I've tried. Shot a medium sized black bear on the run, rear end shot and came out the chest, I couldn't believe the amount of penetration that bullet went through. Bear dropped on the spot!
I also plan on trying 250gr RN Woodleighs in the near future out of the 8mm-06 @ 2450fps

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That 250 grain Woodleigh in that 8mm/06, just looks RIGHT! and all business like...

no doubt about it hitting in the right spot, It will down an awfully big animal just fine...

I sure like the 250 grain Hornady RN in my 338/06, out the muzzle at 2650 fps...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love my round nose in 35 and 308, but I somehow ended up with a small stash of 175gr 7mm that I'll never use. It's only 45 and 2 different makers but if someone wants to trade me straight up for 200gr 35cal of any flavor send me a PM. There's 30 of the lower ones and 15 of the ones on top. Only one looks like it's been pulled so I included it in the picture. I'm not interested in selling them outright at this time.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
I wish I would have stocked up on them when they were made. Not many choices now.

Speer Grand Slams are pretty close... and Woodleigh should be up and running soon.

GR

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I found a box of hornady 175 grain roundnose I had stashed for my 7X57 Mauser.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Perfect for brush forest, obviously not ideal for Prarie long shooting, just drops too fast, I think it's like everything use it in application it is designed for and enjoy

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Look at.300 yard ballistics for 7mm and 30 cal rn vs pointed bullets. Not.ad.much as one.may think.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone ever used the norma alaskan 30 caliber 180 grain roundnose?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Anyone use 6.5 Hornady 160 grain roundnose? Could be good in a Swede or Creed. Any results from the field?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This guy will make you about any configuration bullet, round nose or otherwise, that you want:

https://npcustombullets.com/

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bluefish
I like 180 RNs in my 06
Me too. I just think they look "old school cool".

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I stocked up a few years ago on 154 RN's for my 7-08. Shots are close to mid range where I hunt, they are extremely accurate in my guns and work better than they really should. I have a 308 now and would love to find 165 RN's but might be a unicorn, 180's or even a 150 meant to be pushed harder than 30-30 velocity will do

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have quite a few Hornady 154 RN's I use in 7x57, they work well on our little whitetails here.

I may have some .30 cal Speer 150 Hot Cores I bought for a .308 Savage 99, will check.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bluefish
There is magic in a 220 grain rn from an 06.

Last deer I took with one of those was a good sized buck in northern Wisconsin.. It was about 300 yds across a big marsh, at the end of a small lake..

I had to walk about a mile around the swamp to get to where it was shot... when I found it, it only had a small entrance hole on one side, just behind the heart, and a small exit hole on the off side.. with about 5 or 6 corn kernels laying in the blood...

Evidently he had dropped immediately at the shot... there would not have been a blood trail..and there was no snow on the ground to help track him anyway...

Went and got my stuff to gut him.. even tho he had only a small entrance hole from the 220 gr RN and a small exit hole on the other side, when he was cut open, his chest cavity looked as if I had stirred it with a chain saw...lung were like a big bowl of spaghetti, did the same to the top of the liver, cut the esophagus also in half... spleen and pancreas didn't look too hot either...

the deer cleaned out at 250 pounds at the check station weight scale...5 or 6 y/o northern Wisconsin buck...

Round noses work! those old 220 grain RN are bad ass, supposedly they don't hit with anything more than 1300 ft pounds at 300 yds...
but that .330 sectional density, sure can plow thru a lot of deer anatomy at 300 yds and beyond.

I've also taken deer in 6mm/ 243 with the Hornady 100 gr RN and the Sierra 6mm SMP both of days long gone by...

I've got a box or two of the Hornady 100 RN still around and about 4 unopened boxes of the Sierra 100 Gr SMP...

whatr I wish I had a ton of, but have never used... the old Hornady 129 and 140 gr Round Noses in 6.5 mm....I have taken several deer with the old Sierra and Hornady 160 gr RNs... same with the 154 and 175 gr RNs in 7 mm... in 7 x 57....

Not a round nose, but don't take the old Speer 150 gr FN for granted... it works as good as any round nose...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Joe
I have a stash of 154 gr. .284" Hornady RN I use in my 7x57 and 7x64 and a few left of 180 gr. .308" Winchester Power Points for the '06. They will suffice for all my needs as the longest distance I've shot since 1967 has been 125 yards.
Love that 154 gr RN in my 7mm-08 A-bolt! Those rounds just have a great look to them that says “deer hunting”.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.