Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

I'm starting to think about taking a few destination fishing trips over the next few years. From experience, I can mostly figure out what I need insofar as gear is concerned such as rods, reels, lines, and clothing, depending upon where and when I will be traveling. What I don't know much about is everything else I might need.

What's the best way to travel by air with rods, gear, waders (maybe wet waders on the way home), wading boots, etc.? How many bags should I expect to take, and which size(s) work best. Are quality duffels better than typical luggage such as suitcases? Is one big, fat rod tube better than multiple tubes? What's best if the trip includes any time on a float/bush plane? How much gear can be taken on a small plane?

Anything else I need to know about besides the typical which rod and reel should I use? It's nice to plan ahead so I can start looking for good used gear or gear that is on sale.

Any advice would be appreciated.

GB1

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Hit me with a PM. I am a fishing outfitter in Montana and travel somewhere every month during the winter! I will give you an email and phone number and you can give me a call. I can share some of the things I have learned

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think fly fishing is easier for me if Im flying to my destination. If Im using conventional tackle I usually drive. Everything from gear to clothes is location and season driven. I have fished the florida keys in cold weather gear as well as traveled with one small duffle. Same place different season. You need to call your outfitter or guide for every trip as they will all be different. If Im doing anything but fly fishing I have always used the guides equipment like rods and reels.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
On commercial flights I use a hard shell golf club carrier, 2 piece rods in a tube. Tackle, waders and cloths or sleeping bag to fill it up. Use the same case for hunting, rifles tents ect. Float planes use the PVC tube you packed the rods in inside the golf club case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Travel a bit as does my son and my brother. We have 4pc rods. We use compartmented duffle bags with a molded plastic b ottom. Zipper around the outside. Some are of a generic brand, biggest one is made by Ogio. Rods waders and boots fit in bottom compartment, heavy plastic bag for wet stuff on way home.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B2

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Razz, what Ogio bag do you use?

I have a Easton Bow bag that works well .

I also have a 5 pc rod that fit in my carry on, that was not able to carry on a smaller jumper flight.

No rods or flies in carry on.

Get close and wack em hard!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BS2

I have a Easton Bow bag that works well

The Ogio is a Team Rig 9800. Bottom compartment is very large, top sections are a bit smaller but keep clean stuff separate on the way home.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is a very nice bag.

I like the two compression straps.

Get close and wack em hard!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BS2

I have a Easton Bow bag that works well .

I also have a 5 pc rod that fit in my carry on, that was not able to carry on a smaller jumper flight.

No rods or flies in carry on.
Since having a couple hundred full-dress flies stolen from my bag I now hand carry flies and have always carried rods. By the time my optics, cameras, flies, better reels, and rods are in my carry on I have limited out....

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.