Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Looking to get back into the thermal game for predators. Thinking a clip on unit might be the way to go as I like to change up my rifles that Im using. 200 yds is a long shot around here, if that matters in my options.

Looking for feedback on the units in general, as well as good models to take a look at.

Thanks

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don’t know anything about the clip on models but I do have a thermion2XP 50. I’ve killed several coyotes with it over 300 yards. It’s got the resolution to see, identify and kill them much much further. I bought mine before the LR model came out ( laser rangefinder). If I had that 500 yards wouldn’t be a chip shot but definitely doable. Thermal is addictive. Call the guys at legacyoutdoorgear. Hans or Jason. They’re great guys to deal with and can definitely give you some very good insight.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have the Burris clip on and their thermal scope. Clip on is nice if you only have a budget for one. I recommend a lighted reticle on your scope to make the impact point easier to find.
Both are in the 35 series which have a limited field of view. I would have liked to try the 50 but they were out of stock when I had the itch.
The handheld has other uses such as looking at wheel bearings to see if they are all even colored. At least that's what I told the accountant when I deducted it for business use.
You are correct that 200 yards is a stretch at night. It gets a little hard to see clearly. For the money it's a good unit for me. Would love to try the thermion someday if the budget allows.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For years, I ran a clipon with a Wilcox shoe and a Wilcox picatinney flip shoe mount, in front of a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4. In MANY ways, I prefer it to dedicated sights. I could see a coyote, mount the clipon quickly in that shoe mount (in the dark), and shoot the critter. It isn’t for everyone, but if you like having day/night use from the same gun, without monkeying with your day scope, it’s the way. If you’re swapping between guns, picatinney/shoe is the way….not ocular….unless all your oculars are the same. Crush cups between day optic/thermal are your friend for light signature, as well. Flip up cover is all you may need on your day scope, as it reduces the backlighting common with dedicated sights. It’s also nice to be able to change your magnification on the day scope end, with regards to resolution. Don’t have to worry about zero, which gun it’s set for, etc on your clipon. The only concern is ensuring focus/parallax settings on the clipon are spot on, or impact CAN shift.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Looking to get back into the thermal game for predators. Thinking a clip on unit might be the way to go as I like to change up my rifles that Im using. 200 yds is a long shot around here, if that matters in my options.

Looking for feedback on the units in general, as well as good models to take a look at.

Thanks
Clip ons are so enticing, but if your not going to be using it, your going to be carrying it around.
The most dependable units are very expensive and the mounts are expensive too, so if going the multiple rifle route, it gets very very expensive.
Most buy the cheaper clip on's, mount it and don't remove it because of zero repeatability issues, which is like having a dedicated scope.
Plus it's a pain having to adjust clip ons, unless your stretch Armstrong or buy a unit with a remote, which is another thing to carry around.
That's why most predator hunters have a dedicated rig set up for night hunting.
No need to worry about if it's zero'd and use it when you need it.
For the off chance that I'll be hunting during the day and into the night out in the mountains with one rifle, I do have one rig set up for day and night use, using the Amer Def recon mount for the day scope.
Most of my shots are within 200 yards and I have all the faith in the world that it'll hold minute of coyote when swapping optics.
I can't remember the last time I used it, but I do have it available if needed.

SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^IF you use picatinney mounts instead of ocular, there’s no multiple mount expenses. If you run a Wilcox shoe, it’s even faster/more simple and versatile. They fill a niche, especially if you’re hunting afternoon and night on same outing, or just want to be able to run multiple rigs that you’d rather not remove the day optics from. It’s a ‘your needs’ thing. Adjustments were never an issue, as it’s generally resting on a tripod when static, anyway.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.