Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I have some loads that were loaded some time ago, and I don't remember what exactly they are. I'd like to take them apart. Is there any good way to get the compressed BP out besides at the range? I plan on pulling the lead and recasting that.

Thanks,
KB

A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
MOLON LABE
LET'S GO BRANDON!!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience is that compressed loads have to be scraped out.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pull the bullet and scrape the powder out.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, pull the bullet and wad, scrape the powder out.

Difficulty of scraping gets higher the more compressed the powder is. I don't crimp my loads so the bullet removal is EZPZ. Getting the wad out can be challenging but the judicious use of a small 'eyeglass' screwdriver usually works well. Scrape and dump powder, go slowly and use a brass pick or small brass screwdriver. Neck resize case to remove crimp and true the mouth. Unless something doesn't go well, I am able to reuse all the components and replace those I need to with new. YMMV

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Why don't you just shoot them?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
For what the cost of powder and primers just shoot them empty and enjoy the time being the rifle.

Digging the powder out and reusing it, it might only good for priming the flint lock.

I have .45-70 loads that my Daughter shoots in the rifle I set back for her use that have been loaded for many many years that didn't get shot up and she still out shoots me when we get together spending time at the range.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What caliber ? Check with Midway or Brownell's for a collet for your caliber and pull the bullets. It's actually pretty easy.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hammer type bullet puller works ok.
You can also just run the rounds up the press until you can grab the bullet with a pair of pliers and lower the ram. Cast bullets won't be good for much no matter how you pull them so they go back in the pot for a reman.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I have had good luck with the Hammer type as Ranch 13 suggested. I put a wad of cotton in the bottom of mine to stop the bullet and have had very good luck with little or no bullet deformation.

Last edited by elkmen1; 02/16/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pull them with the trigger if they don't go off then a puller...jeez

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.