24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The National Championship at the Ames Plantation ran this week and finishes next week. The website has some interesting pictures and videos.

https://www.amesplantation.org/2023-brace-by-brace-synopsis

Quando omni flunkus moritati
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I took the American Field Magazine for years until about 2004 when I gave up quail hunting.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A good friend's husband is handling the 2nd dog in the 3rd brace you listed. He's one of the top trainers in the country, which is probably self-evident by being on that list. In chatting with some of the guys that compete in that world, it's interesting to hear some of the opinions about the annual championship at Ames. A criticism from some is that many of the top dogs are trained and compete to hunt wild birds, and actually place a higher ranking on winning the The Continental than what is considered the National Championship since the latter is all released birds. Of course this time of year, the winner at the Ames is also often the dog that gets lucky with the weather as rain is so common. Anyway, is stilll a quite a feather in the cap of the winner.
Another very interesting field trial is coming up on 2/20. It's probably the most unique and field trial event in the country by virtue of how you get to participate, attend, and who all is there. It's the Georgia-Florida Field Trial, and is quite amazing. A large percentage of the S&P 500, so to speak, will be in attendance, as they fly in from around the country all dressed in their best tweed. I've attended it a couple of times and am looking forward to going again on Monday. It will be at Blue Springs Plantation; the last time I attended it was at the plantation of one of the country's most notable characters.

G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
Funny how they name the owners, but not the dog. It's not about the dog, it's about me dammit!

Last edited by GGress; 02/18/23.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I took the American Field Magazine for years until about 2004 when I gave up quail hunting.

I used to read it too. I saw the American Field recently got bought by UKC. I don't think we're the only ones who stopped our subscriptions and gave up on quail hunting. I really want to get back into it but I know I'll have to move to another state.

Last edited by Whiptail; 02/18/23.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spring
A good friend's husband is handling the 2nd dog in the 3rd brace you listed. He's one of the top trainers in the country, which is probably self-evident by being on that list. In chatting with some of the guys that compete in that world, it's interesting to hear some of the opinions about the annual championship at Ames. A criticism from some is that many of the top dogs are trained and compete to hunt wild birds, and actually place a higher ranking on winning the The Continental than what is considered the National Championship since the latter is all released birds. Of course this time of year, the winner at the Ames is also often the dog that gets lucky with the weather as rain is so common. Anyway, is stilll a quite a feather in the cap of the winner.
Another very interesting field trial is coming up on 2/20. It's probably the most unique and field trial event in the country by virtue of how you get to participate, attend, and who all is there. It's the Georgia-Florida Field Trial, and is quite amazing. A large percentage of the S&P 500, so to speak, will be in attendance, as they fly in from around the country all dressed in their best tweed. I've attended it a couple of times and am looking forward to going again on Monday. It will be at Blue Springs Plantation; the last tine I attended it was at the plantation of one of the country's most notable characters.

Interesting! I've heard criticisms about the National multiple times. I find it interesting in the videos that the handles take their dogs away by the collar after the flush and shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting. I used to run my Llewelins in our local club trials, the American Field trials would be great to watch.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by Spring
Another very interesting field trial is coming up on 2/20. It's probably the most unique and field trial event in the country by virtue of how you get to participate, attend, and who all is there. It's the Georgia-Florida Field Trial, and is quite amazing. A large percentage of the S&P 500, so to speak, will be in attendance, as they fly in from around the country all dressed in their best tweed. I've attended it a couple of times and am looking forward to going again on Monday. It will be at Blue Springs Plantation; the last tine I attended it was at the plantation of one of the country's most notable characters.

Interesting! I've heard criticisms about the National multiple times. I find it interesting in the videos that the handles take their dogs away by the collar after the flush and shot.

The reason most likely being they got a solid point and stand along with credit for the same. Getting a hold on the Dog and out of the field, prevents a busted flush that would eliminate the Dog.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

I used to read it too. I saw the American Field recently got bought by UKC. I don't think we're the only ones who stopped our subscriptions and gave up on quail hunting. I really want to get back into it but I know I'll have to move to another state.

Fire ants have wiped out lots of quail

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Fire ants have wiped out lots of quail

Fireants are only a problem for quail for about 12 hours in their life, which is right after they hatch. Way more issues challenge our quail populations around the south, which overwhelming involve habitat, though of course about everything out there is always trying to eat them. With the right habitat, many of the predatory risks are significantly mitigated. Few landowners now manage their properties for nesting habitat, brood feeding (insects), food sources, and escape cover. The recipe for having quail has pretty well been determined with all of the research. If the acreage is large enough, in the right geographic areas, and wisely managed, you can have Gentleman Bob.
Anyway, I hope you are soon able to enjoy some good times searching for birds. Few thrills like it!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.